CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too! Not sure when yet, but it has to be a Havana Suite. :thumbsup2
We booked a 4 night Bermuda cruise on Horizon for June 2018, I was actually able to score a Havana Cabana Suite for the cruise, I was so excited..........................Then my wife made me check into the price of 2 connecting insides and it was about $1200 cheaper so I had to release the suite, I was so bummed!

We started cruising DCL in 2011 with connecting insides for the 4 of us, we were able to do that until 2014. Now on DCL, we have to share 1 cabin but on CCL we still book 2. We're doing the Wonder in Alaska the week before the Bermuda cruise and spending a few days in NYC before the Bermuda cruise starts. She figured she'd be at her tipping point of sharing a bathroom with 2 teens for 11 nights and would need her own space.

But man, I really want that Havana Cabana Suite! Can you imagine how much those would go for on DCL?

A family harbor ocean view popped up this morning on the Oct 21 8 day southern. I snagged it. It's one of the larger aft corner rooms. Perseverance pays off I've been checking several times a day. Now do I cancel my old cruise or do I call Carnival and have them transfer the deposit over. I'll probably try the later. Hopefully I don't get "that agent". Everything is simple when you get a good CSR and everything is complicated when you don't. This sailing is close to being sold out and it's still considerably less then the Fantasy. 1200 less for 2 people and 2200 less for 4 people when comparing deck 2 ocean views the same week. I wonder what the price was a year ago. I know the Fantasy is still close to opening day prices.
Me too! Not sure when yet, but it has to be a Havana Suite. :thumbsup2
They have some available in Dec. I was tempted.

A family harbor ocean view popped up this morning on the Oct 21 8 day southern. I snagged it. It's one of the larger aft corner rooms. Perseverance pays off I've been checking several times a day. Now do I cancel my old cruise or do I call Carnival and have them transfer the deposit over. I'll probably try the later. Hopefully I don't get "that agent". Everything is simple when you get a good CSR and everything is complicated when you don't. This sailing is close to being sold out and it's still considerably less then the Fantasy. 1200 less for 2 people and 2200 less for 4 people when comparing deck 2 ocean views the same week. I wonder what the price was a year ago. I know the Fantasy is still close to opening day prices.

They have some available in Dec. I was tempted.

You can cancel online and have your deposit transferred online.

You can cancel online and have your deposit transferred online.
How do transfer the deposit online.

I have to say this room has a really bizarre layout. It's a corner room so the beds are by the window. The couch faces the window and the tv is above the couch. Interesting way to watch TV. It also has a bunch of weird angles. It has a window and a couch which are my must have's. I also have access to the lounge so I'll take it.

How do transfer the deposit online.

I have to say this room has a really bizarre layout. It's a corner room so the beds are by the window. The couch faces the window and the tv is above the couch. Interesting way to watch TV. It also has a bunch of weird angles. It has a window and a couch which are my must have's. I also have access to the lounge so I'll take it.

When you cancel, you receive a confirmation letter (by e-mail) who is telling you about the fees you'll have to pay to rebook. On that letter, there is a link. When you click, it brings you to a form you have to fill with the info from your cancelled cruise and your new booking. You send it and it will take a few days (usually less than a week) before your credit is applied on your new cruise.

I have never received an e-mail that confirmed that my transfer was happening but always saw my balance reduced within a few days.

When you cancel, you receive a confirmation letter (by e-mail) who is telling you about the fees you'll have to pay to rebook. On that letter, there is a link. When you click, it brings you to a form you have to fill with the info from your cancelled cruise and your new booking. You send it and it will take a few days (usually less than a week) before your credit is applied on your new cruise.

I have never received an e-mail that confirmed that my transfer was happening but always saw my balance reduced within a few days.
I have to pay the deposit by tomorrow or I'll lose the room. I think your talking about the cruise credit from a cancelled cruise. I do have some cruise credit on Carnival that I need to transfer. That is very helpful I'll look for that link.

Here we are, about to cruise on the Disney Wonder (next week). It may sound strange but I am experiencing the same kind of stress I've experienced before I got to try Carnival (and in the end, ending up loving it very much).

I'm scared I won't like the food as much as I liked the Carnival Victory's food. It was SO GOOD!!! XD

Here we are, about to cruise on the Disney Wonder (next week). It may sound strange but I am experiencing the same kind of stress I've experienced before I got to try Carnival (and in the end, ending up loving it very much).

I'm scared I won't like the food as much as I liked the Carnival Victory's food. It was SO GOOD!!! XD
Tiana's place is a lot of fun. I've had some of my best cruises on the Wonder. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BREAKING NEWS: After many bad reviews, my husband and I decided that we are not confident enough that the Carnival Paradise will meet our expectations. We could be wrong but we just don't trust her right now.

So I cancelled.

Clean slate when it comes to our fall cruise. I can book Carnival, RCCL, Princess or Norwegian... No ship nor itinerary decided yet.

This is so exciting!!!! :cool1:
You probably made a good choice. I sailed Carnival Paradise in 2013, and, well, it was enough to say I will not be doing Carnival again for quite sometime. The only thing that may sway me are the new, larger ships and positive reviews of them. The best time I had was on excursions. I have never had a bad experience on RCCL and Celebrity was nice as well.

You probably made a good choice. I sailed Carnival Paradise in 2013, and, well, it was enough to say I will not be doing Carnival again for quite sometime. The only thing that may sway me are the new, larger ships and positive reviews of them. The best time I had was on excursions. I have never had a bad experience on RCCL and Celebrity was nice as well.

I booked the Vista instead. I'm much more confident in this one! Also, it's a Funship 2.0 ... I really wanted to try one of them!

There are many Carnival ships I wouldn't try. Same goes for NCL and Royal. I like the newer ships. Disney does a good job of maintaining the Magic and Wonder, but the Magic does have some plumbing issues.

There are many Carnival ships I wouldn't try. Same goes for NCL and Royal. I like the newer ships. Disney does a good job of maintaining the Magic and Wonder, but the Magic does have some plumbing issues.

I won't sail on a Fantasy class ship on Carnival (their oldest), it's more for accessibility for my mother but still. I prefer the Spirit class (your should check out the Miracle out of Tampa starting next year) or above. We're cruising on the Sunshine in May, the Carnival Magic in November and the Carnival Pride in January.

Not a big fan of Royal but if I had to cruise them again, I'd prefer a Voyager class ship (medium sized); the Freedom class was nice too but so much we didn't use as we're not sporty people.

Plumbing issues are never good. When we boarded our Carnival ship in 2013, our room toilet would not flush. We called maintenance and they accessed the panel in the hall. They left us a note that we had flushed items that clogged the toilet! Hello, we just boarded -- maybe you might want to blame the previous passengers since the toilet wouldn't flush first try. UGH

I won't sail on a Fantasy class ship on Carnival (their oldest), it's more for accessibility for my mother but still. I prefer the Spirit class (your should check out the Miracle out of Tampa starting next year) or above. We're cruising on the Sunshine in May, the Carnival Magic in November and the Carnival Pride in January.

Not a big fan of Royal but if I had to cruise them again, I'd prefer a Voyager class ship (medium sized); the Freedom class was nice too but so much we didn't use as we're not sporty people.

So the Sunshine is a newer ship? That's the one we're taking in September for the NE/Canada cruise. We did the Carnival Glory and loved it.

So the Sunshine is a newer ship? That's the one we're taking in September for the NE/Canada cruise. We did the Carnival Glory and loved it.
Yes and no. She started out in 1996 as the Carnival Destiny, but she had a complete overhaul and refit in 2013 and became the Carnival Sunshine. She has all the Funship 2.0 options and most seem to really enjoy her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter