• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also looking at the week after Thanksgiving on the Wonder. I'd love to take one more Disney cruise with the kids. About how far in advance did that rate come out? It might be worth it to pull them out of school for a week.
We've done that week once and the first week of Dec once. I can't say if you'll get that kind of rate again since prices have gone up, but they always seem to offer some kind of GT rate. I would look for them around September. I can tell you the ship is packed with school age kids from Texas all playing hooky so if you pull your kids out for a week you won't be alone. The cruises out of Texas are always fun. Texans are very friendly, and I think it's why I have such fondness for the Wonder.

I know this thread is about Carnival however I thought I would toss out what I just looked at. I could have called for DCL rates opening day however, as I had no plans to book, I didn't want to waste a lot of time. Now that I can just go online and look I checked what the rates would be for DCL compared to our 2018 cruise aboard the new RCL ship the Symphony, which sets sail next year.
For the two weeks I have booked, last week of November and first week of December, the Fantasy would be $7316 U.S. ($10242 CND) for the cheapest veranda cabin, while the Symphony is $5454 CND for the two weeks. BIG difference, $4788. That will pay for flights, hotel stays, drink packages, extra meals, tips, excursions, I could go on and on but for sure I will have money in the bank! Being open minded pays. :)

By the way, the thread is about Carnival but we talk about pretty much every other cruise lines... :) A great value is a great value.

Didn't DCL used to have Canadian discounts? I guess they don't need to offer them anymore. Wait until the next market crash or bubble burst. All the discounts will be back again.

They have offers "for Canadians Only", I've seen it once or twice for fall cruises. Cruises departing from NYC most of the time.

They have offers "for Canadians Only", I've seen it once or twice for fall cruises. Cruises departing from NYC most of the time.
It may have been years ago I saw this. DCL still offers military rates, but not a lot of GT rates. I had considered getting annual passes to WDW, but the lack of hotel discounts stopped me. 5 years ago we had annual pass's and could get 40% off at every hotel right up to last minute. I guess the economy's good people are working and making money. I'm not making much more then I was 5 years ago so I really notice to price increases.

Ok, super random question, but if anyone's gonna know its you guys :upsidedow
Do they have the Dr Seuss stuff on every (Carnival) ship or just select ones?

I think they do. They are also doing a Dr.Seuss waterworks on the Horizon if I am not mistaken.

Hi -- go to this link and at the top left you will see a button that says "which ships is this on". Click that and a drop down menu will show you all the ships. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/seuss-at-sea

By the looks of it, it appears to be on most of the ships. The Green Eggs and Ham breakfast is something I might even check out in September as that looks like fun even for adults LOL

By the looks of it, it appears to be on most of the ships. The Green Eggs and Ham breakfast is something I might even check out in September as that looks like fun even for adults LOL

The breakfast is fun and fantastic, especially for only $5.00/person, even my teens loved it. I had the steak and eggs and it was one of the best filets I've ever had, not quite as good as Ruth's Chris or Flemings but way better than Outback. If you don't do it, the same steak and eggs is available for the regular sea day brunch.

Hi -- go to this link and at the top left you will see a button that says "which ships is this on". Click that and a drop down menu will show you all the ships. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/seuss-at-sea

I've almost done it on the last cruise. I will definitely try it on my next cruise. The reviews for the Green eggs and ham breakfast are pretty good in general.

I've almost done it on the last cruise. I will definitely try it on my next cruise. The reviews for the Green eggs and ham breakfast are pretty good in general.
The sea day brunch is also very good. I'm not sure if you tried it. It's free, and it's nice to have a fresh cooked breakfast with real eggs. I never tried the breakfast buffet on Carnival. DCL's is awful. I'm kind of assuming Carnival's is about the same.

The sea day brunch is also very good. I'm not sure if you tried it. It's free, and it's nice to have a fresh cooked breakfast with real eggs. I never tried the breakfast buffet on Carnival. DCL's is awful. I'm kind of assuming Carnival's is about the same.

I did... I ordered a steak and egg, the steak wasn't perfect but my husband had good pancakes. The Green Eggs and ham has fun items, for 5$, it's worth a shot.

Breakfast buffet was so-so on Carnival Victory but it was just as bad on DCL Dream and Wonder. :rotfl2:

think they do. They are also doing a Dr.Seuss waterworks on the Horizon if I am not mistaken.

I know they have it on the newer ships. Only the Horizon will have the water park.

Thanks guys!
I had a nosy online and it looked like it was on all the ships, but I didn't want to assume!
My friend just got offered a role as an animator (character performer) so we were trying to work out a potential ship, so it doesn't really help if its on all the ships haha! I suppose its just more of a surprise when they find out lol!

The breakfast is fun and fantastic, especially for only $5.00/person, even my teens loved it. I had the steak and eggs and it was one of the best filets I've ever had, not quite as good as Ruth's Chris or Flemings but way better than Outback. If you don't do it, the same steak and eggs is available for the regular sea day brunch.

Thanks so much -- now I have to try it! I'm not a huge fan of the Cat in the Hat, but love all other things Dr. Seuss -- so it should be fun.

Thanks guys!
I had a nosy online and it looked like it was on all the ships, but I didn't want to assume!
My friend just got offered a role as an animator (character performer) so we were trying to work out a potential ship, so it doesn't really help if its on all the ships haha! I suppose its just more of a surprise when they find out lol!

This is really awesome!

Ok, I think I am becoming a crazy person. I just booked the MSC Bellissima for May 2019!!! A 7 night Mediterranean cruise for 2 adults/1 teen, inside Fantastica room (12 drink vouchers each) plus a Cirque du Soleil dinner show for $1677.02 (no gratuities added yet). What??? We will be departing from Naples, Italy and visiting Messina, Sicily, Valletta, Malta, Barcelona, Marseilles and Genoa, Italy.

Ok, I think I am becoming a crazy person. I just booked the MSC Bellissima for May 2019!!! A 7 night Mediterranean cruise for 2 adults/1 teen, inside Fantastica room (12 drink vouchers each) plus a Cirque du Soleil dinner show for $1677.02 (no gratuities added yet). What??? We will be departing from Naples, Italy and visiting Messina, Sicily, Valletta, Malta, Barcelona, Marseilles and Genoa, Italy.

Wow, I really like that itinerary -- and nice perks!

You'd be a crazy person if you did not book that cruise. ;) It's the price of a 3 nights in the Bahamas for 2 with DCL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter