Carnival Triumph Breaks Free From Moorings

melwill530

Mouseketeer
According to the Mobile Fire-Rescue squad here in Mobile, AL, the Carnival Triumph has broken free from its moorings in the shipyard and is being controlled by harbour tugs. Three people fell in the water and one was taken to one of the local hospitals. Unbelievable!!!:faint::(

I just got a breaking news alert from CNN on this who mentioned one man was missing. I sure hope they'll all be ok! Sending prayers their way.

Heather

I just got a breaking news alert from CNN on this who mentioned one man was missing. I sure hope they'll all be ok! Sending prayers their way.

Heather

The missing man was not a result of the Triumph but from the guard shack being blown over by high winds. The weather here today has been horible. I hope they find him soon too.

Is anyone else starting to feel a little bad for Carnival?

Based on the number of offers I've been getting from expedia, flight programs that have cruise divisions, etc. that all feature Carnival at ridiculously low prices (no other cruise lines have appeared in the emails, only Carnival), I'm guessing people are staying far, far away.

I don't think the mods allow us to talk about this stuff here. I once started a thread about something else that happened to carnival and got my hand slapped and they closed the thread. Not sure why ???

Most know I am not a fan of Carnival!

However in this case,its not Carnivals fault. When a vessel is in the shipyard, undergoing repairs the safety (EI keeping the vessel alongside the pier)of the vessel is the responsibility of the shipyard, not the owners or line.

A prayer or 2 that they find the missing man overboard!

AKK

I felt bad for them, booked Thanksgiving Cruise out of New Orleans on new renovated "Sunshine" old Desteny. Main reason was D Wonder going to CC, KW, and Bah. Not in Nov for me. I will go to Caribbean Sea. Looking forward to advanture.

FergusBC said:
Yep. Part of me is wondering if this would be considered headline worthy if it were a different cruise line ...

I agree. At first I was scared of them, now I just feel really sorry that they are getting unnecessary bad press.

I don't think the mods allow us to talk about this stuff here. I once started a thread about something else that happened to carnival and got my hand slapped and they closed the thread. Not sure why ???

Not DCL planning related. They'll just move it to the Community board.

Yep. Part of me is wondering if this would be considered headline worthy if it were a different cruise line ...
It's happened to the Disney Wonder, and did not make the headlines.

Woody

It happened on an American-Hawaii cruise I was on (several years ago -- the cruise line has since gone out of business, unfortunately.) The ship was docked at the Big Island, and tied down with humongous rope cables but the wind came up -- nowhere near as fierce as the Alabama winds yesterday -- and two of the cables snapped. If anyone had been close to the cables when they snapped, the force could have killed them. So the captain took the ship out of port a few hours early for the safety of the ship, dock, and the passengers.

DH and I were still in port and it was rather eerie to return to the dock about an hour before we were scheduled to sail, and find that the ship had sailed without us. A worker in the terminal told us what had happened, and reassured us that the ship would return for us.

How many other vessels have broken loose in high winds? We have no idea because the press only reports when it's Carnival.

While this was not Carnival Line responsibility, there is a bit more to this then the average vessel breaking mooring lines. That happens every now and then.

With the Triumph you have to add in the Triumphs problems and carnival lines past problems, and the fact that the Triumph drifted into a dry dock and another vessel in the shipyard.

Most important 2 men ended up in the water due to the wind blowing over their guard shed and as of the last I read, 1 man is still missing.

AKK

I'm surprised that no one posted the picture under DCL picture of the day!
Now this could NEVER happen to a DCL ship or did it? :confused3:confused3

kkajoyride.gif

The missing man was not a result of the Triumph but from the guard shack being blown over by high winds. The weather here today has been horible. I hope they find him soon too.

I live in Mobile too and the weather was awful yesterday. I could hardly keep my vehicle on the road because of the wind. As of this morning, I still don't think they have found the man that was missing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!