Car seat requirement

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by california37, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:35 PM.

1. california37

california37 Mouseketeer

hi all- sorry if this doesn't belong here but I couldn't think of where else to post my question!

We are traveling to Miami in August and driving up to WDW - just wanted to check what the actual guidelines is for children and restraints in cars...
    my dd is 7 and currently 131cm tall. St home in the U.K. She still needs a high backed booster seat until she is 135cm or aged 12.
    I think I read online that children should be in a car seat until 5?

She is comfortable in a seat with seatbelt (doesn't go over her face etc..correct position) I just wanted to check the law there!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Daniela Rose

Daniela Rose 1st WDW trip with kids!

Florida Child Car Seat Laws
    It is the responsibility of the supervising adult to ensure that any child under 5 years old is seated in a federally-approved child car seat. Failure to do so could result in a $60 fine and 3 points against your driver's license.

Florida law states:

• Children 5 years old or younger must be secured in a federally approved child restraint system:
      • Children 3 years old and younger must use a separate car-seat or the vehicle's built-in child seat.
      • Children 4 through 5 years must sit in either a separate car seat, a built in child seat or a seat belt, depending on the child's height and weight.
    • Children 6 through 17 years old must be in a seatbelt.
    Though not required, the DHSMV recommends children 12 years old and under to ride in the back seat of the vehicle when possible. This is due to safety concerns for air bag deployment, which can be dangerous for young children.

For more information on child safety seats and restraints, please visit the DHSMV guide to vehicle and child safety.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. allysetraskos

allysetraskos Mouseketeer

So my state has a law that those rules don't apply to licensed transportation vehicles like taxis or limos... I forget the exact terminology but that is how Taxi, bus and Limo drivers get away with not requiring carseats.

5. Daniela Rose

Daniela Rose 1st WDW trip with kids!

My state, NY, has that too. Florida taxis are not exempt from seat belt laws.

6. joelkfla

joelkfla DIS Veteran

Seat belts alone are not sufficient for children aged 4 or 5. Here is the language in the statute:
    The statute does exempt taxi & limo drivers from the law, but it seems to say parents are responsible for providing restraints in those vehicles; the language of that paragraph is a bit unclear.
    There's also quite a bit of debate as to whether or not that paragraph exempts Uber & Lyft drivers.

7. danielocha30

danielocha30 Mouseketeer

bring the booster seat on the airplane they will allowed, better be safe

8. Gracie09

Gracie09 DIS Veteran

You can travel with the booster seat but not use it on the plane. It can be gate checked

9. Gracie09

Gracie09 DIS Veteran

It seems that the parent or guardian would get the ticket or be responsible for complying with the law. But the act of being in a car for hire does not exempt them from the law

10. california37

california37 Mouseketeer

Thanks for your responses!

So according to the law-she doesn't need to be in any form of child seat being 7. She always travels in the back passenger seats and never in the front. And always with a seatbelt! We are wanting to use her 'holiday' booster seat for her younger sister who will be 3 (nearly 4)
    Travelling with 3 kids it would be easier to only have to bring 2 car seats. I just wanted to check that we were law compliant!
    Thanks again!