Car rental ???

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of using a rental car from US to the ship. I haven't booked land portion yet. I thought we'd do 2 days at US before cruise ( we are huge Harry Potter fans) and several days at WDW after the cruise. We are a family of 5. Are there rental car agencies right near the port?? Which ones?? Does it make sense to drop off car, go on cruise and then have another car rented when we get back from our 4 nt cruise. It seems like it might be cheaper to rent a car than take Disney transportation for 5. Any ideas??? Thanks so much.:boat:

If you go to the top of this forum page and click on the information link there, scroll down to Shirleys helpful thread, click on that and all the car rental agencies are listed there with contact information for you.

By dropping the car off you save $15 per night for parking. Thats the only advantage. Most rentlaplaces have a shuttle to take you from dropping the car off to the port.

Disney transfers are $35 per person each way, so once you get car rental prices,include your gas you will be able to see which will save you money.

I have used Avis and Budget. Liked them both...Avis was slight more impressive. They even stored by Car Seat for me while I was on the ship.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to cost everything out. I don't think I can use Disney Transport from US so I need a car anyway.

You are correct that you cannot use WDW or DCL transportation from Universal Studios. Disney has no desire to make it easy for you to visit the competition.

The car agencies near the port are Budget, Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, and THrifty. We've booked with each of them except Hertz. ALL have shuttles (free) to and from port. If you have your own car seats, I know Budget will store it/them for you while you cruise.

Unless you've gotten some incredible week deal, it makes sense to drop off the car and re-rent after the cruise. Rental discount coupons are available at rentalcodes.com and mousesavers.com. I've typically paid $40-50 per day for a full sized car, sometimes as low as $32 for an economy. A mini-van was $46 one way and $92 the other way. These prices include all taxes and fees.

I find little difference between the rental places and tend to go with whoever is cheapest. If picking up at MCO, do join their "frequent renter" program. It's free and will save you time with the pick up.

DCL transport is $35 per person each way, so for 2 people, a car is cheaper!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!