Car Rental - Summer 2010 - a good deal?

Scottk

Follower of Zurg
DVC Silver
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd share what looks like a great deal for next summer's car rental. Both Advantage (the leisure brand now owned by Hertz) and Enterprise appear to be doing fantastic deals for next summer. I have booked a Full Size SUV for 3 weeks next August for $600 and Advantage have economy rates from just over $140 a week.

I found the best Enterprise rates are on the Sidestep website, but there are some discount codes out there too. These look lots cheaper than most other deals out there - does anyone know of a better deal?

I plan to use Insurance4carhire for the insurance - does anyone have any experience of them?

Thanks

ScottK

:drive: :drive: :drive:

I am probably missing something but with the additional charges it seems more expensive for a minivan for 3 weeks :sad1:

I tried this once when I had a car policy via Amex insurance.

By the time I had added Airport charges, state tax and all the little extras, I realised I had paid more than had I have bought an all inclusive rental.

The only time I think it becomes relevant is if you are willing to drive without some insurances, such uninsured motorist etc.

Hazel

Or if you are going more than once a year maybe.

Even multiple trips in a year I wouldn't do it. If I had a bump I want to take the car back and walk away knowing I was covered on their insurance, last thing I want at the end of a holiday (or halfway thru it) is dealing with an insurance claim.
I have taken car back a few times with scratches on, sometimes there from pick up, other times I am sure they have been done while in car parks etc. When returning they have just said "you have all inclusive cover" given me reciept and on my way, would there be hassle returning with own insurance?
I have also heard on collection agents saying renters own policy is not good enough, don't want to start debates on collection after 9 hours of flying.
Will probably work for some but not for me.

The rate quoted includes all taxes but not insurance - which is $36/day for SLI/LDW. I am going for 3 weeks which would set me back an additional $750. The insurance policy is £109 ($180) for the same cover, which even for the loss of convenience seems worth it. Has anyone used the Insurance4carhire company?
Thanks.

I would advise you to stear clear of this option, for what you will save (small amount if any as they have ways of making up the rate at the desk) it really will not be worth the hassle at the desk and the hassle if anything happens to the car !
Yes I am biased as I sell car hire but I have knowledge of this and its really not worth the small saving.
I have no experience of insurance4carhire
Tim

Just doing some quick calculations at your enterprise rate and using 1.5 as the conversion rate, presuming all the taxes are paid your rate with the insurance will be approx £170 per week, with cdw and sli provided by the separate insurance. Looking at the Enterprise website I found a standard 4x4 for $1,782.11 for 3 weeks in August, if you got a deal for $700 thats fantastic but even with the one I found there was a pop up balloon next to the rate saying "additional surcharges, local taxes etc. may apply)

If you were to book the same car over here on an all inclusive package it would only be a maximum of £50 more expensive, if you were to phone around you may even get it for the same rate, this would also be "all inclusive" with UMP unlimited milage etc etc etc. Also if the car is damaged you just walk away, which is a BIG bonus in Florida.

This is just so you can make an informed decision.

Tim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter