car rental questions

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
For the first time in a long time we have rented a car for our next trip to Disney World. And I want to make sure I understand how it works.

We rented from Alamo through Costco Travel. Will we need to stop and the desk inside first? Or is there a kiosk or booth outside by the cars?

We also have a free additional driver. I'm assuming both drivers need to be the ones to pick up the car? Would it make sense to split up--have 2 go to the rental car and 2 head to get the checked luggage?

TIA!!!:flower:

We rented from Alamo in July. We took our printed confirmation to the kiosk across from the counter in the AP. Follow the prompts which will be to cross the street, find your row, pick a car ( keys are in them) and proceed to the exit. They will check your paperwork at the exit.

For the first time in a long time we have rented a car for our next trip to Disney World. And I want to make sure I understand how it works.

We rented from Alamo through Costco Travel. Will we need to stop and the desk inside first? Or is there a kiosk or booth outside by the cars?

We also have a free additional driver. I'm assuming both drivers need to be the ones to pick up the car? Would it make sense to split up--have 2 go to the rental car and 2 head to get the checked luggage?

TIA!!!:flower:
Renting from Alamo at MCO, you can log in to the Alamo web site, enter your name and the Alamo confirmation number that appears on the Costco confirmation below the Costco confirmation number, and complete the Alamo skip the counter form you can access there. You can also enter your payment information there if you want. You will then print (or save to a smart phone) the skip the counter form with a bar code to use when you pick up the car. Bypass the counter and kiosks, go directly to the Alamo section of the car rental center in the garage at MCO, and choose any car from the aisle corresponding to the car class you have rented. Note that if you have rented a Standard car, you will get to choose your rental from the Full Size aisle, since there is no Standard class aisle at MCO.

Both drivers should be prepared to present their drivers licenses when exiting the garage, along with the credit card being used and the Costco membership. I usually just hand the skip the counter form, licenses, credit card, and Costco card to the attendant, so I don't really know if I need all of these items, but it's easier to be prepared than to go fumbling around while waiting in the exit line.

According to their website, Alamo at Orlando International Airport offers three different options: Standard Counter Service, Self-Service Kiosk, or "Skip the Counter" service.

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/locations/us/mcot71-orlando-international-airport.html

You'll want to try the Self-Service Kiosk or Skip the Counter. Ideally, you'll want to avoid the kiosk because the driver's licenses for some states won't work on them. Just follow the instructions the Ralph&Pam provided. That's the "Skip the Counter" procedure.

Make sure you understand how tolls work. They are hard to avoid when traveling between the airport and Disney World. If you pay cash, you won't be charged extra by Alamo. Alternately, you can use with TollPass service. You will be billed the toll plus a $3.95 service fee. That fee only gets charged on days you use the toll. (This is a major plus with Alamo. Other rental companies charge a service fee for every day of your rental, even on days you don't incur toll charges.)

More toll information from Alamo: https://alamo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8040

Finally, make sure you check out a map before you leave the airport. The signs can be a little tough to understand if you don't know the names of the roads that border the airport.

Would it make sense to split up--have 2 go to the rental car and 2 head to get the checked luggage?

No. Not at all. Get the bags, go to the rental car area, go to the car, pack it up and go. Luggage is on the way.

The signs can be a little tough to understand if you don't know the names of the roads that border the airport.

To me you're either going on 528 (makes more sense if you're going to Uni) or 417 (makes more sense going to WDW). The road around MCO is a huge huge ring road. If you miss something, you'll find it again. Do not panic. 528 heads towards orlando or port canaveral. Don't go to PC unless that's your intention. :)

No. Not at all. Get the bags, go to the rental car area, go to the car, pack it up and go. Luggage is on the way.

To me you're either going on 528 (makes more sense if you're going to Uni) or 417 (makes more sense going to WDW). The road around MCO is a huge huge ring road. If you miss something, you'll find it again. Do not panic. 528 heads towards orlando or port canaveral. Don't go to PC unless that's your intention. :)
I've been taking the south exit when going to WDW...seems to work pretty well. Not overly congested and easy to follow signage. Took the north exit when I went to US a few weeks ago.

and choose any car from the aisle corresponding to the car class you have rented. Note that if you have rented a Standard car, you will get to choose your rental from the Full Size aisle, since there is no Standard class aisle at MCO.

Both drivers should be prepared to present their drivers licenses when exiting the garage, along with the credit card being used and the Costco membership. I usually just hand the skip the counter form, licenses, credit card, and Costco card to the attendant, so I don't really know if I need all of these items, but it's easier to be prepared than to go fumbling around while waiting in the exit line.

I rented a standard SUV. Will that be in the standard aisle or is there a SUV aisle?

Thanks for the step by step. It is very helpful!

I rented a standard SUV. Will that be in the standard aisle or is there a SUV aisle?

There will be a "Standard SUV" aisle that you will choose your vehicle from.

As Ralph&Pam noted above, if you are renting a car at MCO, there is no "standard car" aisle so you will pick from the Full Size aisle for the same price.

BTW: if you are the gambling type, The Full-Size car aisle at MCO will have FS cars but very often will also have SUV's, CUV's and occasionally Mini-vans, premium cars, sporty collection, trucks and just about anything else that Alamo has an excess inventory of.
The Full Size/Standard car rental prices can be very reasonable compared to the price of an SUV, CUV, Minivan etc. so... if you could live with a FS car but could probably score a SUV,CUV or whatever happens to be in that Full Size aisle, then this "gamble" could save you some money.

There should be a separate SUV aisle for those who have rented this class of vehicle.

There might also be some SUVs on the intermediate or full size aisles depending on how many are in inventory at that location, but there will only be SUVs on the SUV aisle. You did the right thing in booking an SUV since that's what you want to drive. Some renters book sedans at a lower rate with hope they will get lucky and find a nice SUV on the sedan aisle. This should only be done if you are prepared to drive a sedan if that's all that is available on that aisle when you arrive to choose a car.

ETA: nacho113 must be a faster typist than me. Maybe I should go back to my computer rather than doing this two finger typing on my iPad:rolleyes1

Thanks guys! I just went and set everything up to skip the aisle! Easy peasy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter