Car people - 2006 Lexus IS 250 AWD

The only thing I can say, after owning a used Lexus, is that parts if you ever do need them, could be a lot more expensive than regular Toyota parts for example.

Turned out that the used car I bought had been in a crash, but there was a mix-up in the car I got at the dealer vs the one I got the carfax for....loooong story (they resolved the issue later on)

The only thing I can say, after owning a used Lexus, is that parts if you ever do need them, could be a lot more expensive than regular Toyota parts for example.

Turned out that the used car I bought had been in a crash, but there was a mix-up in the car I got at the dealer vs the one I got the carfax for....loooong story (they resolved the issue later on)

Particularly true of this model as there is no direct Toyota version like there is with the ES.

Fairly typical Toyota stuff. Bulletproof reliability, though you are adding the complexity of AWD. If it matters to you or DD, it's a fairly vanilla driving experience. The small V6 is powerful enough, but won't scare a BMW owner. Pretty sure it's on the same platform as the Lexus GS series. Interior size is fine for 4. At 112k miles, it's barely broken in for a Toyota, but I'd want to make sure it has had transmission flush, coolant flush, plugs, etc...

For a relatively low cost daily driver, it'll be a great car. I'd put it in the same relative category as a used Accord, Camry, Acura TL, Mazda6.

Okay, just talked to the guy who has the car. Check VSC (stability control) light is on, but claims the car runs & drives fine - definitely not in limp mode. From what I’m reading, this is often caused by a loose vacuum hose or gas cap. Doesn't sound like he knows much about cars. Any thoughts? Should I bother looking at it? It’s a bit of a drive.

I wasn't familiar with the VSC light in relation to the IS 250 specifically. In doing a quick search on it, the VSC light is just the cars' reaction to another issue. It's very likely the check engine light (CEL) is on too. When the Lexus senses an issue that throws a CEL code, it automatically disables the stability control system, hence why the VSC light is on. You'd need to find out why the CEL is on. In theory it could be a loose or even bad gas cap, but if it were you'd think the owner would have fixed that problem. It's $10 if you need a new one, so why wouldn't he have done it? You'd want the car plugged into an OBDII scanner to pull the codes, which will give you a better idea what you're dealing with. It could be something very easy, could be a nightmare. I do know the IS 250 is a direct injection engine, instead of port injection. Direct injection motors are prone to carbon build up on the back of the valve, and cleaning them is VERY costly. Not saying that's the issue here, but it could be. Personally, as much as possible I try to stick with port injected engines, or if I have a DI engine, get rid the car before miles get too high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!