Car guys, I have a question..

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
I’m not going to tell you what answer I’m hoping for, so that there’s no bias. I want a 100% fact based answer.

Suppose you have two trucks. They are the same make, model, colour, same tires, same everything. They are the same version in all ways.

Also suppose that you are strictly doing city driving, with no highway driving at all. On your main route, there are a few traffic lights, but for the most part, you can drive like five minutes at a time without stopping. You live in a flat city, so there’s no inclined at all. Weather is summery (ie. no snow or ice), and rain is minimal.

Ok, so, these trucks are identical in all ways they can be, including wear and tear.

Now, let’s say one has a 40L gas engine, and the other one has a 40L Diesel engine. (If these volumes are wrong, assume a correct volume). In theory, which tank of fuel should last longer?

If this is a super dumb, obvious answer, I’m sorry. I know nothing about cars.

One last bit, I don’t know if it matters, but both trucks are high off the ground (think ‘compensation’ truck) and they have a cab on the back.

Diesel Versus Gasoline Mileage. ... “Diesel engines are morefuel-efficient and have more low-end torque than similar-sizedgasoline engines, and diesel fuel contains roughly 10% to 15% more energy than gasoline. So, diesel vehicles can often go about 20% to 35% farther on a gallon of fuel than theirgasoline counterparts.

f you own a truck or SUV, the difference in gas mileage is usually lower but still about 20 percent higher than a gasoline-powered truck or SUV. It is worth noting, however, that diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline. ... Finally, the area in which dieselengines excel most is in highway miles.

Diesel is better mileage. Right now though diesel is more money (at least where I live) so cost wise it probably evens out.

Diesel engines usually last longer.

If you are talking about a truck, not a car, then you will want a gas engine for in town use. The diesel truck is designed for torque (think towing) it is not tuned for daily low speed driving. Your MPG will suffer and long term the engine will not perform as well. Now if you take something like a VW sedan, it's tuned for in town use and better MPG. I had a great F350. I would tow my 39' tow hauler fully loaded with 4 ATVs and get about 12MPG, in town no load I got about 12MPG gallon. With the higher diesel cost the math didn't add up for our needs.

If you are talking about a truck, not a car, then you will want a gas engine for in town use. The diesel truck is designed for torque (think towing) it is not tuned for daily low speed driving. Your MPG will suffer and long term the engine will not perform as well. Now if you take something like a VW sedan, it's tuned for in town use and better MPG. I had a great F350. I would tow my 39' tow hauler fully loaded with 4 ATVs and get about 12MPG, in town no load I got about 12MPG gallon. With the higher diesel cost the math didn't add up for our needs.
:thumbsup2 This is great information because the simple assertion that diesel is more efficient doesn't take all the right factors into consideration.

@kimblebee - would you mind giving us a little context for the question? You lost me at "...weather is summery." :p

:thumbsup2 This is great information because the simple assertion that diesel is more efficient doesn't take all the right factors into consideration.

@kimblebee - would you mind giving us a little context for the question? You lost me at "...weather is summery." :p

I don’t want to because it makes me look petty LOL

My BIL has been driving my husband to and from work, for whatever reason. He drives a big obnoxious truck, but that’s neither here nor there. He asks us for gas money, which is fine, but he claims this past week he used $70 of diesel and I think that’s BS. He doesn’t do any towing and only putters around the city, no highway driving. Lots of times, too, he’ll ask us to buy him groceries or buy him a bunch of stuff at sev. Again, I get that he’s helping us out, but it’s not like we aren’t doing anything in return.

I had made peace with him, but kept a weary eye open, but this just totally puts him back in the jerk category. I know the feeling is mutual.

Not getting along with in-laws sucks.

My BIL has been driving my husband to and from work, for whatever reason. He drives a big obnoxious truck, but that’s neither here nor there. He asks us for gas money, which is fine, but he claims this past week he used $70 of diesel and I think that’s BS. He doesn’t do any towing and only putters around the city, no highway driving. Lots of times, too, he’ll ask us to buy him groceries or buy him a bunch of stuff at sev. Again, I get that he’s helping us out, but it’s not like we aren’t doing anything in return.

I had made peace with him, but kept a weary eye open, but this just totally puts him back in the jerk category. I know the feeling is mutual.

Probably one of those wannabe truckers who leaves his truck running all the time.

So let me get this straight, your bil is helping your husband out but you’re complaining because in your opinion, he’s asking for too much gas money?

Am I missing something?

How many miles a week is he driving your DH? Diesel around here is ~$2.80/gallon. $70 would at that price would get you 25 gallons. At 20mpg (which is actually pretty low IMO), that's 500 miles.

How many miles a week is he driving your DH? Diesel around here is ~$2.80/gallon. $70 would at that price would get you 25 gallons. At 20mpg (which is actually pretty low IMO), that's 500 miles.

And 500 miles would give you 50 miles each way for five days. Not that much of a commute in this area, where people live in the 'burbs and commute into the city.

Diesel around here is about $3.30. DH gets less than 20mpg in his diesel truck. He easily spends $70 a week in gas.

So let me get this straight, your bil is helping your husband out but you’re complaining because in your opinion, he’s asking for too much gas money?

Am I missing something?

Yes

:rolleyes1Personally, family not doing for family is bizarre to me - the part I'd be missing is why the brother would ask for money at all, especially given what your DH has been through.

It’s a little weird to me too but maybe he’s short of cash? Maybe he has to go way out of his way? Maybe it takes a lot of extra time.

All I know is if I needed help, I wouldn’t complain about the help I got, even if it came with a cost.

It’s a little weird to me too but maybe he’s short of cash? Maybe he has to go way out of his way? Maybe it takes a lot of extra time.

All I know is if I needed help, I wouldn’t complain about the help I got, even if it came with a cost.
I suppose. Again I've luckily never been in a spot so tight that I literally wouldn't have been able to afford to help. And factoring in compensation for the time? I'd feel that's wrong no matter what the situation. As to the bolded, my heart goes out to anybody who has very few people to rely on - that must be hard. :flower3:

(Not sure if you followed the thread that ran for 6 months, but the DH in this scenario suffered an prolonged, life-threatening illness. My guess is his need for a ride at all is in the aftermath of that.)

I suppose. Again I've luckily never been in a spot so tight that I literally wouldn't have been able to afford to help. And factoring in compensation for the time? I'd feel that's wrong no matter what the situation. As to the bolded, my heart goes out to anybody who has very few people to rely on - that must be hard. :flower3:

(Not sure if you followed the thread that ran for 6 months, but the DH in this scenario suffered an prolonged, life-threatening illness. My guess is his need for a ride at all is in the aftermath of that.)

Oh, I’m aware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter