Car break-ins... what about your luggage?

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
So I've heard a lot about how rental cars often get broken into in Hawaii. Has anyone found this to be a real concern? What about when we are moving from one hotel to another, and have all of our luggage in the car? Is that a no-no? It's making my planning a little crazy logistics-wise. Thanks for your thoughts.

Before our trip, we also heard and were warned about this. Luckily we didn't experience it. We did have our luggage in the backseat of our car when we stopped at Target on the way from the airport to Aulani because it wouldn't fit in the trunk. We took our chances but it was fine.

I think the biggest concerns would be high tourist areas like the streets of Waikiki, possibly the Pearl Harbor and Swap Meet parking, etc. Also any beach parking lots or shopping areas. What is your plan for the day you are moving hotels? I assume you aren't going from one right to the next one?

We are staying in Waikiki for a few nights, then moving to Aulani. We figured we'd tour around Honolulu a little, maybe the Iolani Palace, and then get lunch somewhere before driving over to Aulani. So that sounds like a bad situation as far as risk...

We are staying in Waikiki for a few nights, then moving to Aulani. We figured we'd tour around Honolulu a little, maybe the Iolani Palace, and then get lunch somewhere before driving over to Aulani. So that sounds like a bad situation as far as risk...

Will everything fit in the trunk? If I had a sedan with an enclosed trunk that I could fit everything into, I might take my chances. We didn't do Iolani Palace, but you could likely find a lunch spot with parking nearby that's easy to see. You could also leave your luggage stored with bell services at your hotel and then swing back to pick it up before heading to Aulani. Not the most convenient option, but would be secure at least.

We've done it before to go grocery shopping (Costco, Target, or Walmart) when first arriving. But it always makes me nervous. Hopefully everything fits in the trunk. Remember to have everything you need so you don't need to open the trunk after you park it!

In your case, I would probably check out as late as I could and then head over to Aulani.

other tips...

do not have any visible bags in your car if you have a camera that looks bigger than a cheap point and shoot or your phone. you’re more likely to be targeted if they think you might have camera gear in your car than just luggage.

We visit Hawaii every year and try to use the same precautions I would here on the mainland. I try to place everything in the trunk (one reason I virtually NEVER rent an SUV), and to do so at a place other than where I will be leaving my car so no one has watched me leave stuff there. I have left my luggage in our car a few times over the years where it was not all in the trunk, like when we've done a convertible (those trunks are so tiny my makeup bag will scarcely fit! :laughing: ). But I do so hesitantly and try to park in a very heavily trafficked place, like Costco's parking lot, close to the entry.

I think the main places where cars are broken into is at parking lots for places like Hanauma Bay (sp?), or trailhead parking, etc. Try to place everything in the trunk, and you should be okay, but no guarantees. We have never been broken into in all our trips to Hawaii, but it could happen.

Waikiki is no place for a car! Hotel parking can be as much as $35.00 per day, plus possible valet tip.

Use the local bus service to get to Iolani Palace, Ala Moana Mall or even Perl Harbor: http://www.thebus.org/

Just ask hotel concierge for the right bus to your destination. Be sure to have correct change. One-way is $2.75 and all-day pass is $5.50.

-Paul

We had just parked the car at Pearl Harbor when my son forgot something. We went back, which was about 10 minutes later and noticed that someone had already tried to break in as part of the door handle was missing.

We had just parked the car at Pearl Harbor when my son forgot something. We went back, which was about 10 minutes later and noticed that someone had already tried to break in as part of the door handle was missing.

That's crazy! :scared1: What time of day was that, Princess KP? And did you have anything within view inside the car? (whether of value or not?) I have never had anyone try to break in a rental car in all the months we have spent (total) in Hawaii.

That's crazy! :scared1: What time of day was that, Princess KP? And did you have anything within view inside the car? (whether of value or not?) I have never had anyone try to break in a rental car in all the months we have spent (total) in Hawaii.
It was about 9am. No, there wasn't anything within view in the car. I make sure everything is in the trunk and maybe the would be thieves were hoping I had stuff in the trunk?

It was about 9am. No, there wasn't anything within view in the car. I make sure everything is in the trunk and maybe the would be thieves were hoping I had stuff in the trunk?

Wow. :eek: That is so crazy. We went to Pearl Harbor and parked around an hour earlier than you. I checked my handbag with the little booth there since they don't let you take anything. Seems like the Park Service should have much more show of force (security) around the parking areas. Particularly since they do not allow any bags to be taken on tour (I understand this part, but they should offset that with much better security). So sorry that happened. Thanks for giving me the details.

Wow. :eek: That is so crazy. We went to Pearl Harbor and parked around an hour earlier than you. I checked my handbag with the little booth there since they don't let you take anything. Seems like the Park Service should have much more show of force (security) around the parking areas. Particularly since they do not allow any bags to be taken on tour (I understand this part, but they should offset that with much better security). So sorry that happened. Thanks for giving me the details.
Our park services can’t afford that kind of overhead. The local police would cover that sort of thing, but they warn tourists that is the #1 crime in Hawaii. It’s a pain, but I’m sure they have much bigger issues than protecting us tourists’ belongings.

Our park services can’t afford that kind of overhead. The local police would cover that sort of thing, but they warn tourists that is the #1 crime in Hawaii. It’s a pain, but I’m sure they have much bigger issues than protecting us tourists’ belongings.

I do understand that petty crimes committed against tourists are hardly top priority. As for the national park services, I would happily pay a dollar or 2 extra to help pay for add'l security. I've visited a lot of our national parks. :cutie:

As a former resident of Oahu, yes, your concerns are real. The most common places years ago for break-ins were at Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, and Polynesian Cultural Center (where our car was broken into).

If you pack the trunk BEFORE leaving, have nothing visible, then you are likely okay. If you open your trunk at your destination for any reason, make sure there is nothing in it. They have gangs watching.

I do agree, you don't need a car at Waikiki. Our next trip, we're 5 nights Waikiki then a week at Ko Olina. I just booked an SUV from the airport for the week; we'll Uber, Lyft or taxi to Waikiki, as parking at our hotel is $45/night (plus tax, and we won't use the car while there, so saves that plus the extra $250 rental). Waikiki is walkable, and we really don't plan on doing much touring (we lived there so been there, done that, but if we did tour we'd hire, take a bus, take a taxi, etc). You can really get by without a car in Waikiki.

If possible, the day you move hotels, I'd get the luggage to the new hotel and have bell services hold it safely.

Its not that the police view tourists issues as less of a problem. THey simply don’t ever get around to much else but violent crimes. A local business could have video, photos, and a name of a thief...but if no violence was involved...its gonna be a while...thieves target tourists since its less likely that they’d return for a court date...combine that with the high cost of living, lack of jobs that pay more than “very poor” levels of income for hawaii(40k a year or under) and voila theft is unsurprisingly a big thing...I believe even 70k a year is still poor...you’d need multiple 60k+ incomes in a single house to not be “poor”
Its not that the police view tourists issues as less of a problem. THey simply don’t ever get around to much else but violent crimes. A local business could have video, photos, and a name of a thief...but if no violence was involved...its gonna be a while...thieves target tourists since its less likely that they’d return for a court date...combine that with the high cost of living, lack of jobs that pay more than “very poor” levels of income for hawaii(40k a year or under) and voila theft is unsurprisingly a big thing. (Theres other big factors...but you’re better off not thinking about them...too depressing and/or infuriating)

Not sure what you are talking about, but theft is not targeting tourists soley. I had other friends who were residents whose cars had been broken into. One was at the Hale Koa parking garage in Waikiki (the Army hotel).

Living on the East Coast, honestly, it's no more expensive here than it was there. Granted, we shopped at Sam's and the commissary for groceries. I also shopped Kmart a lot. We had one car for 2 years until we had our son. If you are smart with your money, living there wasn't so bad.

commissary...so probably active duty military? (I forget if vets can still go there or not) it also doesn’t matter where you are, if you can be sufficiently smart with your money (and have enough luck) anyplace isn’t “that bad”...but there have also been a number of...trends...that make it more difficult to be smart enough.

and of course its not just tourists that get stolen from...I very much doubt a thief in a tourist area is going to stop, check your license plate or ask to see your ID and then decide to break into your car or not. tourists being targeted doesn’t mean they’re the only ones that get hit...they’re more likely to be hit...but won’t be the only victims

That’s a wild story. Did you have to pay for any of the damages? I didn’t do enough research so when we got to Hawaii I was surprised to see all the warning signs regarding theft and to lock your vehicles and not keep anything visible. Pearl Harbor had plenty of signs in the parking lot. The average tourist probably has no idea they’re a target but it can happen to anyone. I’m still nervous about visiting Europe with all the pickpockets and it’s hard to believe that Paris is one of the worst areas.

We took the shuttle to Aulani from the airport so we always rented the car on-site for the day. We never had any real valuables with us, but that doesn’t mean the crazies won’t try to break in anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter