Cape May Dinner... with a shellfish allergy?

pghmom

Mouseketeer
Hi! I’m second guessing an ADR for our trip in November.

I have a shellfish allergy to the point that I can’t have food cooked on the same surface as scallops, etc.

My husband loves lobster, crab and shrimp as does our second daughter. Oldest daughter doesn’t prefer seafood and our son will likely not be eating solid food much yet (5 months old for the trip).

Am I insane for going to a seafood buffet? I will ask my allergist for an epi-pen just in case. I don’t have one now, but that’s because I am really good at avoiding my allergy.

I’ll be no help, but am interested in the responses. My husband also has a pretty severe shellfish allergy. On our last trip, he insisted on ADR’s at Cape May based off reviews from co-workers. We ended up missing our reservation, and it was only after the fact that I learned they serve a lot of sea food. We go again in February and I know he will want to try again. Just makes me very nervous!

Buffets can be so tricky with food allergies. People stick the wrong serving spoon back in dishes, there is a ton of cross contamination. You might be able to ask for a chef to prepare a specialty food for you that isn't being prepared around seafood, but that's really going to slow down your dinner and you're not going to be able to enjoy as much variety of food as everyone else. Again, buffets are weird. We were just at Boma and I saw an adult woman licking her fingers and then handling a spoon to get herself something else to eat. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Buffets can be so tricky with food allergies. People stick the wrong serving spoon back in dishes, there is a ton of cross contamination. You might be able to ask for a chef to prepare a specialty food for you that isn't being prepared around seafood, but that's really going to slow down your dinner and you're not going to be able to enjoy as much variety of food as everyone else. Again, buffets are weird. We were just at Boma and I saw an adult woman licking her fingers and then handling a spoon to get herself something else to eat. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

That’s all I need to be reminded of to convince me we need to stay away. I love sea food, but it’s not worth the risk to my husband.

That’s all I need to be reminded of to convince me we need to stay away. I love sea food, but it’s not worth the risk to my husband.

I agree. Cross contamination is impossible to prevent in a buffet. It's not something I would risk.

Good point about the other diners - I had not thought of that at all.

I will have to research a good non-buffet seafood restaurant to appease the rest of my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter