Cape May character breakfast vs. Kona vs. Boma?

mobiana

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I originally had an ADR for Ohana for breakfast .. but because of some reviews on this board, I had changed it to the Cape May character breakfast ... but rethinking that maybe we should try Kona or Boma instead? My DH really likes the idea of the breakfast pizza at Cape May. Anyone try this? The menu at Boma looks better to me, but Cape May looks fine too. Any opinions out there? We're staying at the WL. Personally, I like the idea of the Kona coffee french press:thumbsup2

thanks,
Maureen

I don't understand why Ohana get a bad rap. We love it and it's the only 'must do' for my family. We all love the breakfast and dinner....but breakfast a little more. The pineapple bread is fantastic.

Kona and Boma are both really good as well. Kona has a few different choices that are really good. The Tonga toast and the pineapple pancakes are excellent. Boma is pretty much the standard buffet breakfast fair with a few exceptions. Boma does have an omlette made to order station.

I had breakfast at Cape May Cafe last year, and it was the worst service I have ever had at Disney, I would definatly change that ADR. I actually liked the breakfast at Ohana much better.

I like Boma and Cape May better than Kona, which is kind of unusual since I don't tend to LOVE buffets. While it's true that breakfast at Boma is more traditional than dinner, I would not say that it is a typical breakfast. We ate at Boma for breakfast twice on our last trip, and my favorite item was the grilled tomatoes. SO yummy with an omelet and toast. The special fruit punch and pressed pot are nice too. The atmosphere is great as well.

We ate at Cape May two years ago. It was one of the surprise hits of the trip. WAY bigger selection than I expected, and great character interaction. Just one of my favorite character experiences. My daughter (6 at the time), had a cast on her leg, and those characters made such a big deal of her. Just super sweet. I love that something I thought would ruin the trip for her ended up making her feel special. Total Disney moment. Thank you Cape May characters.

I posted this earlier about Kona. We didn't have the specialty items (Tonga Toast being one of them), and it was just ok. Dry pancakes, standard omelet, dry potatoes. We were staying at the Beach Club, so we went out of our way for that breakfast and felt kind of foolish for it. I am in the minority on this opinion though. Lots of people love Kona. The coffee was good, but you can get the pressed pot at Boma as well. The atmosphere at Kona was a disappointment to me as well. Felt kind of like a Denny's to me. (*braces for backlash*).

I agree that Kona had that Denny's atmosphere. Service wasn't there. We didn't have ADR's so don't feel to bad. I did like the pancakes.

Kona feels like Denny's?! Really? Well that's a bummer. In the time between posting this, I had changed this ADR AGAIN to Kona! I just can't make up my mind. I have a feeling I'm going to change this a few times between now and the time we leave. Thanks for all your replies.

Maureen

We did Boma last year on the recommendation of a fellow diser and we loved it! We prefer a buffet so Boma or Cape May (a former favorite we haven't done in a while) are both great for us. I didn't think the menu was as diverse at Ohana and I am not sure about Kona. If you haven't done Boma it might be worth a try.

We tried Cape May for the first time a few weeks ago and LOVED it! Boma breakfast is good too (though I like their dinner better). I've tried Kona for dinner, but not breakfast, and was disappointed.

Every restaurant here is going to be someone's "worst meal ever" and someone else's "absolute must do" at the same time. I say choose whichever fits into your schedule better.

We are not big breakfast eaters, but thought we would try Cape May last year since we were staying at the BC. We ended up booking it again later in the week as well. Loved it. The food was great and a large selection and variety. The character interaction was wonderful. it wasn't crowded wither time we were there, that was in Sept of last year durinng free dining. Again loved it. We did 'Ohana for breakfast I thinkit was 2 years ago and also enjoyed it as well.

Been to all & I think all are good. I don't know why ppl don't think Ohana isn't good.

I LOVE Kona breakfast! Perhaps the french press coffee gives everything a rosy glow for me, but I thought the food was good.

I actually haven't had a bad experience at any of the places you mentioned. I agree with the poster who didn't like Boma breakfast as much as dinner, though. We love the dinner there so much, I was expecting the same for breakfast, but found it to be more traditional breakfast food.

Boma is our favorite! We love this place and you can get pressed pot coffee there too but it is much stronger than Kona

Kona is a must for me. It was one of the best meals we had in October, our trips would not be complete without the tonga toast. Never got the Denny's vibe.

Oh, I hope Kona doesn't have a Denny's feel because we're having breakfast there for the first time on Wednesday. I'm so looking forward to the Tonga Toast!! I hope we're not disappointed. ;)

Carla

I like all the places mentioned (have not been to Ohana, but some of my family went there and enjoyed it)...

A quick heads-up on transportation in the morning, we had early morning reservations at Cape May (probably around 8:20ish). We were staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness (can't remember). We used Disney transportation. The plan was to go to Hollywood Studios and then take the boat to the Beach Club. Getting to Hollywood Studios was easy, however the boat was not yet in service at this early hour. There is a walkway, but I have older parents who needed to save their steps for walking in the parks.
In the end, the boat eventually began and we were about 25 minutes late.
There was a not a problem showing up late and getting seated as it was a slower time of year- this may even be the reason the boat had not started the route.

I will certainly eat at Cape May for breakfast again, but I will make reservations later in the morning or wait until I am staying at one of the nearby hotels.

You may be driving and then what I have said totally pointless :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter