UPDATED 7/18 WITH LINK TO NEW PTR! Can't Wait to be Walkin' Right Down the Middle of Main Street USA: A Sept 2021 Disneyland PTF

5 days is plenty imo. You could go to the beach, enjoy the pool, or do some of the DTD/hotel activities.

I highly recommend seeing Fantasmic at Disneyland. The one at WDW pales in comparison. We did a Hungry Bear package and somehow ended up sitting in the Blue Bayou section and it was incredible. Not sure if it was pixie dust or CM mistake, but it was so awesome to be front and center. I can take or leave World of Color.

It can be very hot and dry in September. Be prepared! It will cool down at night though.

It can be hard to find nonstop flights from DC to SNA, but it's so nice going in and out of.

Yea, I've heard Fantasmic is amazing. I wasn't impressed with Fantasmic at WDW, but I'm definitely inclined to make a dining package or something, probably at Blue Bayou. Glad you had a great view in that section!

Oh yea, I'm prepared for the weather--I grew up in Las Vegas, so I assume it's probably pretty similar weather. I'm just glad it doesn't have FLorida's humidity!

I was looking today about nonstop flights to SNA from DC, and it doesn't look like there are any nonstop flights currently from DC to SNA. My current inclination is to get a non-stop flight to LAX in the morning or middle of the day on Sunday, to minimize flight problems and hopefully traffic in the middle of the day won't be too bad. Then, book a flight with connections from SNA back to DC, 'cause I don't really care if we have flight problems coming back, and then we don't have to worry about leaving crazy crazy early and the traffic too much. I'll have to see though.

Initial/Tentative Flight Plans

So everyone's recommendation about SNA for flights has made me re-think plans, and I think I have a basic idea of what to do for flights, based on various preferences and things.

I really really really hate flying with connections. It's gotten better now, but when I was in college and flying back and forth for Christmas and summer breaks, I always had something go wrong. Flights were delayed and I would miss connections, flights would get canceled...I ended up spending the night in an airport every single Christmas trip. So I'm really gunshy now, and will do a lot to fly non-stop if I'm heading somewhere I care about--like, I'll do connecting flights on the way home but not the way there, or if I'm flying somewhere for work where I don't really care I'll do connections, but if I'm flying to Disney or to visit family I'll do my best to fly non-stop.
Image result for flight canceled gifs

I am not this chill in airports with cancelled or delayed flights.

Other factor: we're gonna need suitcase space coming home. For sure. We buy lots of souvenirs and I hate paying shipping fees (yes, irrational, I know), so we're definitely gonna have to check bags. So Southwest is obviously a very attractive carrier, with their two free checked bags.

Arrival: Sunday, Sept 13th

• Really want this to be a non-stop flight from DC. There are no flights, on any airlines, nonstop to SNA, and the only nonstop flight to LAX on Southwest is from Baltimore (Baltimore is a solid hour from our house, usually more like 90 minutes). I try to avoid Baltimore if I can help it, and the times aren't great (arrive at noon, which would require us to leave our house at like 5 am, or at 10:20 pm). Looking at other airlines, American and United both have nonstop flights from Dulles airport (closest to our house), and we could check one bag and stuff other suitcases inside of it. If we arrive at midday, hopefully traffic from LAX shouldn't be too bad, and even if it is, I'd rather deal with traffic in LA than be stuck in an airport waiting for our connecting flight.
    • Probably American/United - DC to LAX nonstop, arriving midday sometime on Sunday.
Departure: Saturday, Sept 19th
  • So, gonna have to check probably 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 bags. Also, definitely don't want to deal with traffic heading to the airport. So, looking at Southwest and flying out of SNA. It looks like there is one flight a day out, at 2:15 pm. That should work just fine. Don't have to rush in the morning, don't have to worry too much about traffic and crowds at the airport, and can take our extra checked bags. I think this is what we'll do.
    • Southwest - SNA to DC with one connection, leaving at 2:15 pm.
So that's my plan: nonstop to LAX on arrival date, and connections out of SNA on our departure date. Shouldn't be too bad. :) I've got google tracking flight prices for the flight out, and I'll keep an eye on Southwest for when they release Sept 2020 flights and the prices. Tons of time, but at least I have a tentative plan now. :)

... So that's my plan: nonstop to LAX on arrival date, and connections out of SNA on our departure date. Shouldn't be too bad. :) I've got google tracking flight prices for the flight out, and I'll keep an eye on Southwest for when they release Sept 2020 flights and the prices. Tons of time, but at least I have a tentative plan now. :)
That actually sounds like it will work out fine. And at that time of year, weather at Dulles shouldn't be too big an issue -- fingers crossed, right? We've flown UA from DC to LAX a few times without any problems. From LAX, just get an Uber to DLR -- easy! Right now, LAX is having growing pains with their ride share pick up site. But by the time of your trip, all the kinks should be worked out. And your return flight sounds great -- and allows for one last on site breakfast. How about a farewell breakfast at Steakhouse 55? That's one of our traditions.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan, Tiffany, a flexible plan of course. :)
We have been at WDW for a week now, one more to go. We are having a wonderful vacation! the weather is perfect! It was
. cold and windy on Saturday, but for us that's way better than hot and humid . Today it was mid seventies...perfect! We are taking our time and just soaking in everything Disney.
First time my husband has experienced Food and Wine and he is really into it. It wasn't too crowded when we are there around lunch time. And the gondolas! Fantastic! We've had no trouble at all, and they are just so cool and convenient!

That actually sounds like it will work out fine. And at that time of year, weather at Dulles shouldn't be too big an issue -- fingers crossed, right? We've flown UA from DC to LAX a few times without any problems. From LAX, just get an Uber to DLR -- easy! Right now, LAX is having growing pains with their ride share pick up site. But by the time of your trip, all the kinks should be worked out. And your return flight sounds great -- and allows for one last on site breakfast. How about a farewell breakfast at Steakhouse 55? That's one of our traditions.
Oooh, a Steakhouse 55 breakfast sounds awesome! I'll have to look into it. And yes, hopefully the Uber - LAX situation is worked out by next September... :D

Sounds like a plan, Tiffany, a flexible plan of course. :)
We have been at WDW for a week now, one more to go. We are having a wonderful vacation! the weather is perfect! It was
. cold and windy on Saturday, but for us that's way better than hot and humid . Today it was mid seventies...perfect! We are taking our time and just soaking in everything Disney.
First time my husband has experienced Food and Wine and he is really into it. It wasn't too crowded when we are there around lunch time. And the gondolas! Fantastic! We've had no trouble at all, and they are just so cool and convenient!
All the plans! :)

How fun! I'm glad you're having a wonderful time :D And yay for Food and Wine! I'm glad your husband is loving it. How lucky that the crowds weren't too bad around lunch time, that's the quickest way to ruin Food and Wine. Sounds amazing! :D

Also, I got Trevor a Batuu Spira gift card for his birthday. He can't wait to use it in Galaxy's Edge!7EC16BBC-C367-4219-A535-3ABCAE7042E9.jpg AF20583B-A575-4ACA-9B83-28BE99EB90E1.jpg

We're going Sept 8-13, so we'll high five as we pass you! Our trip is for my parents' 50th anniversary, so we're planning some splurges also - definitely a fancy meal or two (or five!) and debating on whether we should stay on property (my dad has mentioned DLH a couple of times).

Honestly, I wouldn't do 6 days in the park. In fact, I think 5 is going to be too much for us, even though we got 5 day park hoppers. We figured that way our plans could be more flexible and if we decided we just wanted to go for a couple of hours one day, we could, without feeling like we wasted one of our park days. We'll probably go to Knott's one day, and H wants to do either Medieval Times or the Pirate dinner show.

We're going Sept 8-13, so we'll high five as we pass you! Our trip is for my parents' 50th anniversary, so we're planning some splurges also - definitely a fancy meal or two (or five!) and debating on whether we should stay on property (my dad has mentioned DLH a couple of times).

Honestly, I wouldn't do 6 days in the park. In fact, I think 5 is going to be too much for us, even though we got 5 day park hoppers. We figured that way our plans could be more flexible and if we decided we just wanted to go for a couple of hours one day, we could, without feeling like we wasted one of our park days. We'll probably go to Knott's one day, and H wants to do either Medieval Times or the Pirate dinner show.

Howdy fellow Sept 2020 friend! Sounds like a fun way to celebrate a 50th :) We're not really planning on doing anything other than Disney, but I'm leaning more and more towards using an Oogie Boogie ticket as one of our park days (assuming of course, it's happening when we're there). Just have to wait and see!

And I saw your post on the LMTC thread--we ended up doing the same thing. Bought the five day hoppers for $325.77 apiece--so nice that they're fully refundable! Now just have to hope that the price of MaxPass doesn't go up in the meantime. :rotfl2: I think we both know the odds of that not happening are preeeeeeeetty slim.

... Now just have to hope that the price of MaxPass doesn't go up in the meantime. :rotfl2: I think we both know the odds of that not happening are preeeeeeeetty slim.
One thing you can do to sort of guard yourself against price increases of any kind, e.g. MP, food, OBB, etc., is to start collecting Disney gift cards for your trip. Use any discount you can find to get these gift cards, e.g. Target Red Card (5% back, some word on the DIS about 10% day coming in Dec.). There is an ongoing thread on Disney Gift Cards in the Budget Forum for tons of great information and advice. You can use these gift cards to purchase MP at the ticket booths once you arrive. The gift cards also work as a kind of dining plan at DLR, since we don't have an official one -- the cards help you keep track of how much you've budgeted and how much you're spending on food. And they can be reloaded if needed. And you can use the gift cards to buy OBB tickets, too. Touring Plans thinks a price hike will be coming in Jan./Feb. -- take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared anyway.

I think that your plan to fly direct into LAX and fly out of SNA is a good one. I, too, stress out about connecting flights.

Part of the reason we didn't get ticket with MP is that we're not sure we'll use MP every day. I know at least one day will only be a partial day because of anniversary frivolity, and we'll probably not be in the park at all on another day, so it'd be a waste of $60 on days we don't end up using it.

They just had a 50% price jump. I hope to god they don't do that again!

One thing you can do to sort of guard yourself against price increases of any kind, e.g. MP, food, OBB, etc., is to start collecting Disney gift cards for your trip. Use any discount you can find to get these gift cards, e.g. Target Red Card (5% back, some word on the DIS about 10% day coming in Dec.). There is an ongoing thread on Disney Gift Cards in the Budget Forum for tons of great information and advice. You can use these gift cards to purchase MP at the ticket booths once you arrive. The gift cards also work as a kind of dining plan at DLR, since we don't have an official one -- the cards help you keep track of how much you've budgeted and how much you're spending on food. And they can be reloaded if needed. And you can use the gift cards to buy OBB tickets, too. Touring Plans thinks a price hike will be coming in Jan./Feb. -- take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared anyway.
Yep, I'm a big fan of stocking up on Disney Gift cards! But I wasn't planning on necessarily buying tickets this early so the budget is a little bit stretched right at the moment. Either way though, I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

I think that your plan to fly direct into LAX and fly out of SNA is a good one. I, too, stress out about connecting flights.
Thanks! Right? Connecting flights are the worst. :(

Part of the reason we didn't get ticket with MP is that we're not sure we'll use MP every day. I know at least one day will only be a partial day because of anniversary frivolity, and we'll probably not be in the park at all on another day, so it'd be a waste of $60 on days we don't end up using it.

They just had a 50% price jump. I hope to god they don't do that again!
I'm planning to get MP every day if only for the photos, but on those days we'd only need one person to have it and not all of us. So yea, definitely pros and cons to having MP included in the ticket.

Hopefully not!

Oh my goodness I am so happy you started this pre trip report. We are also going in October 2020 and it’s only our second time. We also do WDW annually so we are pretty comfortable making those plans. Looking forward to piggy backing off your plans!!

Oh my goodness I am so happy you started this pre trip report. We are also going in October 2020 and it’s only our second time. We also do WDW annually so we are pretty comfortable making those plans. Looking forward to piggy backing off your plans!!

Hi there! How fun! You're going to get to go when Halloween is in full swing! Hopefully my plans help a little bit, but please feel free to share anything you find as you plan...can't wait! :D

Too Much to Do - Too Little Time!

I've been laid up a few days after having a tooth abscess and needing to get an emergency root canal.
Image result for disney teeth gif

What better way to distract myself than by "planning" (I put planning in quotes since without dates, anything scheduled, they're not real plans :) ) our Disney trip?

Though I'll be honest, I was mostly just moping and enjoying the drugs til some ears that I ordered came - yay! Haunted Mansion, and Sleeping Beauty. The Sleeping Beauty ears are covered in shimmering fabric that changes from pink to blue. :) Can't wait to wear them.
0XhCp2B.jpg

Anyways, my dilemma:
We really want to see World of Color, Fantasmic!, whatever fireworks show is going on, and eat at Napa Rose Chef's Counter, as well as do Oogie Boogie Bash twice. I'm running out of days! This is kind of my tentative plan:

• Sunday (9/13): Fireworks
  • Monday (9/14): World of Color (dessert party, maybe?)
  • Tuesday (9/15): Oogie Boogie
  • Wednesday (9/16): Napa Rose
  • Thursday (9/17): Oogie Boogie
  • Friday (9/18): Fantasmic! (Blue Bayou Lunch package, I think?)
Assuming that should all work out, the question then becomes, we also want to do Trader Sam's - when to do that? Is the atmostphere/whathaveyou less cool if you go when they first open at 3? We could maybe go when we arrive on Sunday? Or would it be better to go late, like maybe after the fireworks on Sunday? Would we end up waiting a long time probably? Curious if anyone has any experience from last September or any recent experience.

Too many choices!
Image result for disney choice gif

Sorry to hear about your dental troubles. Hope everything is on the mend now!
Keep in mind that your visit falls during Santa Ana wind season in Southern CA. This means that fireworks (and, to some extent F! and to a lesser extent WOC) can get cancelled due to safety reasons (e.g. unsafe wind speed, unsafe wind direction). The show can get cancelled outright or during the show. So be flexible with your entertainment plans and always have a backup in mind. This can save you lots of headache if you know this ahead of time!

Sorry to hear about your dental troubles. Hope everything is on the mend now!
Keep in mind that your visit falls during Santa Ana wind season in Southern CA. This means that fireworks (and, to some extent F! and to a lesser extent WOC) can get cancelled due to safety reasons (e.g. unsafe wind speed, unsafe wind direction). The show can get cancelled outright or during the show. So be flexible with your entertainment plans and always have a backup in mind. This can save you lots of headache if you know this ahead of time!

Thanks! I'm doing better now :)

Yep, very aware of that! I figure there's a chance of it being canceled so want to give us as many chances as possible to see the fireworks. :) Thank you for the reminder though!

Thanks! I'm doing better now :)

Yep, very aware of that! I figure there's a chance of it being canceled so want to give us as many chances as possible to see the fireworks. :) Thank you for the reminder though!
Good for you for being on top of that. Too many people at DLR save fireworks for their last night and get caught unaware by the safety cancellations.

Why go for 5 days when you can go for MORE?!

DH and I were chatting yesterday about the trip, and kind of out of nowhere, DH suggested that instead of flying in on Sunday, we fly in on the Thursday before. He recently got a job with a much more generous leave policy than the jobs he's had previously, so he's relishing not having to ration those days so tightly, and he really wants to spend lots of time in Star Wars land, and of course I'm all for more time to allow us to relax and smell the roses. So, basically, now we're going from Thursday Sept 10th to Saturday September 19th!
Image result for disney excitement gif

We won't stay at the Grand Californian for those first three nights (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) - we'll stay at a nearby, hopefully cheaper, hotel. :) If anyone has any recommendations, feel free to pass them my way! :) I'm looking at one of the Marriotts or Sheratons, since I have Marriott rewards points, but we're pretty open.

I did look at some of the Costco good neighbor packages, but I didn't want to pay for tickets with the package. Discount tickets through LMTC for 3 day hoppers are $311.08. 5 day hoppers are $325.77. UM, for $14, YES we are DEFINITELY going to get 5 day hoppers! That alleviates a lot of my stressing about going into the parks or not on Oogie Boogie Bash days - for essentially $7 a day per person, that allows us to go into the parks if we want. And if we don't go in, or only go in for a little bit, that's only a "waste" of $7. Yes. Definitely wanting to do that. Even with the Costco packages giving us a Disney gift card, we'd still be out money if we wanted to buy 5 day hoppers through them.

As far as flights, everything is still up in the air. Southwest doesn't open booking for September until March, and with extra days I'm a bit less anxious about having a direct flight, so maybe we'll fly Southwest both ways from Dulles. Or fly from Dulles into SNA as well as out of SNA. So many options! :D

I'm just so excited - we'll have the time to go slow, to eat at all the places and eat all the snacks, even go swimming and relax and enjoy the hotel. Yay!
Image result for disney gif relaxing

I know that may be too much time for a lot of people, but I think it'll be good for us. We will have plenty of time to do everything we want (and perhaps even do some things again :D) and not have to feel rushed or anxious or anything like that. We never take rest days at our hotel when we go to Disneyworld 'cause there's just so much to do, so maybe we'll get a chance to do that here. Huzzah!

Why go for 5 days when you can go for MORE?!

DH and I were chatting yesterday about the trip, and kind of out of nowhere, DH suggested that instead of flying in on Sunday, we fly in on the Thursday before. He recently got a job with a much more generous leave policy than the jobs he's had previously, so he's relishing not having to ration those days so tightly, and he really wants to spend lots of time in Star Wars land, and of course I'm all for more time to allow us to relax and smell the roses. So, basically, now we're going from Thursday Sept 10th to Saturday September 19th!
Image result for disney excitement gif

We won't stay at the Grand Californian for those first three nights (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) - we'll stay at a nearby, hopefully cheaper, hotel. :) If anyone has any recommendations, feel free to pass them my way! :) I'm looking at one of the Marriotts or Sheratons, since I have Marriott rewards points, but we're pretty open.

I did look at some of the Costco good neighbor packages, but I didn't want to pay for tickets with the package. Discount tickets through LMTC for 3 day hoppers are $311.08. 5 day hoppers are $325.77. UM, for $14, YES we are DEFINITELY going to get 5 day hoppers! That alleviates a lot of my stressing about going into the parks or not on Oogie Boogie Bash days - for essentially $7 a day per person, that allows us to go into the parks if we want. And if we don't go in, or only go in for a little bit, that's only a "waste" of $7. Yes. Definitely wanting to do that. Even with the Costco packages giving us a Disney gift card, we'd still be out money if we wanted to buy 5 day hoppers through them.

As far as flights, everything is still up in the air. Southwest doesn't open booking for September until March, and with extra days I'm a bit less anxious about having a direct flight, so maybe we'll fly Southwest both ways from Dulles. Or fly from Dulles into SNA as well as out of SNA. So many options! :D

I'm just so excited - we'll have the time to go slow, to eat at all the places and eat all the snacks, even go swimming and relax and enjoy the hotel. Yay!
Image result for disney gif relaxing

I know that may be too much time for a lot of people, but I think it'll be good for us. We will have plenty of time to do everything we want (and perhaps even do some things again :D) and not have to feel rushed or anxious or anything like that. We never take rest days at our hotel when we go to Disneyworld 'cause there's just so much to do, so maybe we'll get a chance to do that here. Huzzah!
More days = hooray! As for hotels, there is a FFI right across Harbor -- that's probably the closest hotel to the parks for Marriott properties. There is the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance -- very popular, not that cheap. There is a Four Points Sheraton on Harbor, north of the parks -- usually has the lowest number of points for free nights, but is a little bit of a walk (not super far, but farther than the other hotels -- just north of the freeway). There is the Springhill Suites on Katella and Harbor, the Residence Inn Convention Center next to that. The Sheraton Park on Harbor is one of our favorites -- you can walk or take the Toy Story shuttles to/from the parks. (We walk!) By the time of your dates, there will be 2 new Marriott properties: the JW Marriott and the Element (?). They won't be super close walks (nothing beats the FFI), but they'll be shiny and new.
With more days, look into doing a tour... Maybe the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour? You get to see Walt's apartment over the fire station with that one.
Please note that your new dates will include CHOC Walk weekend (CHOC Walk is 9/13 this year). This is a big charity fundraiser for Children's Hospital of Orange County -- and this is the largest fundraiser of its kind in the nation. (See chocwalk.org) This will change the EMH/MM hours for that weekend -- keep watching the calendar. It is a super fun, very inspiring event -- highly encourage you to look into it. But do be aware of it. Many people don't know about it and walk right into it -- bam!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!