Can't Think of a Clever Title but we went to the D23 Expo!!! UPDATE 9/18

Discussion in 'Disneyland Trip Reports' started by OhioStateBuckeye, Jul 24, 2017.

1. pooh'smate

pooh'smate Stuck in the Middle

I have been so busy and have been only able to read on my phone and replying on my phone just doesn't work well.

OhioStateBuckeye likes this.
  2. OhioStateBuckeye

OhioStateBuckeye DIS Veteran

So while everyone else from Live Action ran off to get into line for Parks and Resorts, we headed back out to the show floor. Live Action ended at 12:30, Parks and Resorts started at 3 but Auli'i Cravalho (Moana) was signing from 2-3. I really wanted to see Parks and Resorts but Moana was in my top 3 must dos.

We had a bit of time before we had to get in line so we wondered the show floor. We almost got in line to meet Ashley Eckstein (Her Universe and Ahsoka's voice in Clone Wars and Rebels) but it would have ended up clashing with meeting Moana (even though according to the times guide it shouldn't have).

While we were figuring out if we could meet Ashley or not, we happened to be standing right by the DuckTales money bin jump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then one of those fun, unpredictable convention moments happened. All the voice cast of Duck Tales who were at the convention were being led over.

[​IMG]

Ben Schwartz (Dewey), Kate Micucci (Webby Vanderquack), Beck Bennett (Launchpad McQuack), and Toks Olagundoye (Mrs. Beakley) were all there. They were going to jump into the money bin so D23 could take some promotional pictures. So of course I had to take my own pictures.

First up was Beck Bennett

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Ben Schwartz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kate Micucci

[​IMG]

There's only so many ways to jump into a money bin while wearing a dress

[​IMG]

And sometimes, jumping into a money bin with a dress just ain't happening

[​IMG]

Since we couldn't meet Ashley we finally ventured into the non-Disney run vendor booths and tried to find the DISboards booth.

Right when we found it the Ultimate Fan Street Party started up and went by.

[​IMG]

There were some balloons. The fab five! I only care about Donald.

[​IMG]

Dancers.

[​IMG]

Then they had a car with the celebrity guest of the day. Today's guest was Colin O'Donaghue from Once Upon a Time.

[​IMG]

He looked a bit charmingly befuddled at being the center of attention and 100s of screaming females. It soon became a bit awkward, the parade stopped so the dancers and the Fab Five could do a little routine. It was only stopped for a few moments but Colin quickly became even more awkward (and who could blame him). He kind of halfheartedly waved his pom pom a bit. Looked around nervously at the crowd, waved at a few people. Fidgeted uncomfortable, waved the pom pom a bit more.

Once the parade passed I chatted with some of the DIS podcasters. I was a little shocked and pleased that some recognized me by name because of my contributor articles. After a few minutes of chatting it was time to head back to the Music Emporium for the signing.

We checked out the SW hologram records at the Music Emporium booth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look pretty cool but I think the hologram is smaller than I thought it would be.

It was finally time to get in line for Moana. Her line was huge. I think it ended up taking us around 45 minutes or so to get through.

This is where the bad part of the day really amps up. As we were waiting in line the employees were shouting out directions. One woman was saying one item signed per wristband. We asked for clarification since we'd been sold the lithographs with the promise of an additional autograph. She reiterated one item per wristband and didn't seem to care what we'd been told. So we were already a bit upset about that.

When we first got in line, we were seeing lots of people taking photos with Auli'i. As we were getting closer to the front of the line they started shouting out no photos. We found out later that they'd sold a lot of stand by wristbands and were really trying to push the crowds through to get to the stand bys. Which, nothing against the stand by people, I do not begrudge them their chance to meet her but seriously Disney?! You can't over sell your wristbands to meet the celebrities and then deprive people of their chance to get a picture or say something to the celebrity. If I had just wanted an autograph I'm sure I could have purchased one from a vendor. I like to meet the celebrities and tell them how much I appreciate their work and have a 2 minute conversation.

So we get up to the front of the line. Brian has my phone ready to take pictures, ideally we would have both wanted to be in the picture, but we figured he could grab a pic of us while she was signing. The woman who was standing right next to Auli'i started snapping that no pictures were allowed.

I had brought along a stuffed Hei Hei because I originally thought it would be fun to have him in the picture. So it was our turn, Brian went running off to the end so he could snap this picture (even though they were yelling at him no pictures).

[​IMG]

So this is our only picture. I guess Brian was also being sneaky because he set the lithograph on the table, not in front of her, just on the table, while I was handing over the record. Auli'i ended up grabbing the litho from the end of the table and signing at as well. I was literally in the middle of quickly telling her how much I had enjoyed Moana and the yelling woman literally gripped me by the arm and moved me past the table.

Now, no shade against Auli'i. She might be the sweetest, loveliest girl in the world. Which she did seem from the 5 seconds of my interaction with her. I know she isn't in charge of how her line runs.

But seriously, this was ridiculous. If I had known it was going to be even less than a 'huge and shove' meet and greet I would not have bothered paying for the album and giving up the Parks and Resorts panel. Disney, as usually happens, over sold the wristbands by selling the humongous stand by line of bands. Which then lessened the experience for everyone.

We left with a really bad taste in our mouths and just kind of stood around listlessly for a bit.

The major thing left on our list for the day was the Kiss Goodnight panel with Richard Sherman and Floyd Norman at 6 so we had a bit of time.

Stephanie split off to try to get a wrist band for a Frozen artist signing at the Disney Animation booth and Brian and I decided now was as good a time as any to get in line for the Pirates Archive exhibit. I am going to end this update here because I am about to take you on a picture tour of the exhibit, and there are a lot of pictures so I'll pick that up in the next post.

skier_pete and rteetz like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

Oh...I love Kate Miccuci so much!

Too bad about about the Auli'i experience. It probably wasn't all that pleasant for her either.

We were watching an Indiana Jones movie last night (the bad one) and my daughter and I were talking how he was too old then, and now really too old, but there is still an Indiana Jones movie on the books for 2020, and I pointed out that if that is the case, maybe we'll have to get up at 3 AM for that live action panel for D23 in 2019 to see crotchety old Harrison Ford present the teaser trailer. That and with the recent push-back of Episode IX to December 2019 might be double worth that 3 AM rise.

rteetz likes this.
  5. OhioStateBuckeye

We didn't really know what to do with ourselves and were disappointed with our meet and greet experience so we decided to check the Archives pavilion off our list. This year they brought a Pirates exhibit. There was a decently sized line but it moved pretty quickly. They kept a count of how many people left and then let people in big groups at a time. I think we only waited 10-15 minutes.

I'm just going to post all my pictures. I basically took pictures of everything, because pictures are free. As you entered your eye was immediately drawn to the large pirate ships in the middle of the room. They weren't life size, but they had to be at least maybe half life size, they were pretty big.

Everything here was either used in or for the movies, or were a part of the theme park POTC attractions and Peter Pan attractions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post...

6. OhioStateBuckeye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rteetz likes this.
  7. OhioStateBuckeye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over the exit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed the Archive exhibit. It doesn't hurt that I like the Pirates movies and both attractions that were showcased. I think the Archive exhibit was one of my favorite things.

My favorite things were the smaller and larger model ships. I found some of the papers from the attractions fascinating, hopefully those others of you who are interested were able to enlarge the pictures to read the papers.

They did a very good job of keeping the crowds inside manageable. Some exhibits had a few people crowded around but you could easily just pass those by and come back.

H2E, rteetz and pooh'smate like this.
  8. pooh'smate

pooh'smate Stuck in the Middle

I would have loved to see the Archive exhibit. Great pictures.

9. OhioStateBuckeye

You've probably heard me arguing this on the rumors and news board before, but I really do believe Indiana Jones could be a James Bond type franchise. I was really hoping they'd at least re-boot it and do some of Indy's college years with a different actors. If Lucasfilm is ok with re-casting a 5 years younger Han Solo, they should be ok re-casting a 10-15 years younger Indy.

Ugh, let's not talk about Harrison Ford being at live action. I think I already want to skip that one next time around. Maybe I'll see what panels are up against it. If it's like this year and there is something like Power of the Princess, I probably will skip live action.

The archive exhibit was great. I think that Disney should have a traveling archive exhibit and change it up every few years. Some of the stuff in this exhibit was crazy. Like, did they save all those papers about the attractions knowing that DL was going to be a huge hit for many years to come? Or was it just one of those...throw all these papers in boxes and somehow they got kept all these years kind of thing.

10. OhioStateBuckeye

I forgot to post a picture of our signed Moana record so I'll add that here:

[​IMG]

After our walk through the Pirates Archives it was time to check out an event I'd seen advertised on a sign in the vendor hall: Marty Sklar book signing!

I was actually pretty upset after we got home and I heard that plenty of Disney royalty had been doing book signings or meet and greets among the outside vendor booths. I had read before hand that in previous expos vendor booths had brought in celebrities and done paid signings. Those were banned this year so I never gave it another thought. Apparently vendors still brought in the celebrities but didn't charge for the signatures. I was really sad at some of the people I missed out on meeting. Luckily I saw the sign for Marty Sklar. As most of you know he ended up passing away a few weeks after the expo. I've always really admired him and the work he did for Disney, as I also fancy myself somewhat of an amateur writer.

All you had to do for the meet and greet was buy a copy of his book. I already owned a copy of 'Dream It! Do It!' but luckily there was a second option, 'One Little Spark'. The price wasn't inflated at all so I got it for about $20. We came back right before his signing time started and I was shocked that there were only a few groups of people ahead of me. I mean, Marty is much more of a Disney legend than a lot of the people who were signing at the cluster that was the Disney Animation and Pixar booth. I wonder if a lot of people just didn't know about the opportunity. It wasn't listed on the app. I never did find out about any of the other vendor booth signings, so I guess his short line kind of made sense.

I only had to wait a few minutes and then it was my turn. Brian took pictures as I chatted with Marty. He was so nice. I told him my name so he could personalize the signing and he told me that his granddaughter was also named Rachel so we talked about that for a few minutes. I got a bit choked up and said that I'm sure he hears it all the time but I wanted to thank him for all he had done for the Disney company and how much a lot of his work had impacted me personally. He was so nice. I'm very glad I got the opportunity to meet him. He is in my favorite group of Imagineers/Disney people including Rolly Crump, Mary Blair and Mark Davis. I wrote a long article on him for the DIS but unfortunately it has not been published. I think his death was the celebrity death I have been the most torn up over. I believe he even beats out Carrie Fisher. At least he lives on through his works and the countless smiles he'll bring in the future.

I couldn't find any pictures where I wasn't making any goofy faces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we saw my favorite costume of the expo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had some more time to kill before the 6 pm Kiss Goodnight (Brian had run and got us stage passes for this at some point).

We headed back towards the Disney sponsored pavilions because Stephanie had made an intriguing discovery while waiting for her Frozen animators autograph: the Disney Animation and Pixar booths were both randomly doing giveaways. It involved a cast member walking around the booth with a bag of items and handing them out to whoever got there first. This is how the Pixar ball giveaways happened.

[​IMG]

The big screen at the Pixar booth was constantly playing Coco scenes:

[​IMG]

There were a few benches and it was a nice place to take a break and watch for giveaways.

We wondered over to see if they were handing anything out. They were and we got some truly epic stuff by just hanging around and waiting.

Here is a Pixar lanyard that I got:

[​IMG]

We saw some great Gravity Falls costumes:

[​IMG]

There was a little Edna Mode section:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a somewhat bigger wall for some Cars 3 concept art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over on the Animation side they had some big props to pose with like Maui's hook:

[​IMG]

Ralph and Vanellope:

[​IMG]

During our time exploring the booth we managed to get quite a few giveaways. I don't remember when we got each certain thing, so I'll just post them all here. Even though we did return later this day and on Sunday so not all of these were from right now.

[​IMG]

I did purchase the SW one on Friday at the Imagineer store.

Even better than the buttons, sometimes they handed out lithographs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sticker:

[​IMG]

Stephanie discovered that the Disney Animation booth was doing a super secretive art giveaway. They posted on their twitter account that you had to find one of their guys with an envelope who was being very discreet and show him the tweet. Then you would get one of 100 Olaf art pieces:

[​IMG]

The Star Wars Imagineering booth was right around the corner and we noticed that there was a new droid out and about. I always like to try to spot the droid handler out of the crowd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a great Hera with Chopper (from SW Rebels) backpack costume (I am a huge Chopper fan and I need to find this backpack):

[​IMG]

I wanted to get a close up picture of Rex who was on display:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rteetz likes this.