***Can't keep us down...OFFICIAL MAY 2021 THREAD...come heck or high water we're going to WDW!!!***

I’m only going 4 nights at Pop with a DVC point reservation for the next four but still happy with the $180 savings from the two extra park days promo. I’d debated room only discount as I have old non expiring tickets and an AP voucher, but this priced close enough to what I have in the budget so I’ll save non expiring for “normal” times.

Super excited to have snagged a 2 bedroom lake view villa at VGF for mid-May using our banked and current points. We’re taking my in-laws and my MIL has talked for years about staying at GF as being her dream. So it will be my husband, our girls (ages 8 and almost 6), my MIL, my FIL, and me.

We will be there for 8 nights and I’m really looking forward to using the walkway to MK (which we loved using at BLT this past fall).

Park reservations were booked in the summer since we had originally planned this as a land and sea trip (to replace what we had planned for May 2020). With us cancelling our DCL portion, it’s now just a longer WDW trip...which is fine with me!

Hey May-ers! We booked a rescheduled 2020 trip- May 22-28, 4 nights at CSR and 2 nights at AKL-Kidani. First time at both of those resorts and first split stay. Hoping things continue to improve so this plan will last! It was going to be a mother-daughter trip for my mom and I and now it will be a mother-daughter RETIREMENT trip as virtual teaching has done her in this year lol.

Ok, I noticed this morning a Contemporary Garden wing Garden view popped up 30% off so I switched resorts again. We really wanted to stay at the Contemporary after many years of being at the Grand so we could have a new expereince amd even though its not the main tower I originally booked, I am now saving $3,300 over my original total and that more than makes up for the lack of a balcony. I will keep stalking for my main tower, but more money now to spend on something.

Ok, I noticed this morning a Contemporary Garden wing Garden view popped up 30% off so I switched resorts again. We really wanted to stay at the Contemporary after many years of being at the Grand so we could have a new expereince amd even though its not the main tower I originally booked, I am now saving $3,300 over my original total and that more than makes up for the lack of a balcony. I will keep stalking for my main tower, but more money now to spend on something.
Oooh..I was tempted by that too! It wasn't much difference in price from a family suite at AoA...but I think we'd have more room with my two twenty-somethings in a family suite so I stayed put at AoA....a tower room may have changed my mind though!

Repriced our rooms with the AP discount - I bought one through Sam's Club before the last hike that has not been activated yet so I had to call but did not have any wait at all.
We have 2 rooms at Pop and saved $1100 from the rack rate (but really who ever pays rack rate in May?), from the regular discount (15%) offered to the AP discount (25%) saved $443 so still not too shabby. I was surprised that it was 10% more with the AP, thought it would be just an extra 5%.

I was going to save the AP for another year but this way I can give my 8 day PH to my niece who is going with us. I got such a great deal on our tickets (bought on Black Friday 2019) that even a kid base ticket through UT is only $9 less than what I paid for an adult PH. The AP was also a really good deal and I really wish I had bought a couple more at the time.

I switched our tickets from 6 days to 5 since we are using parkhoppers this time. With the ticket offer, we saved $730. I figure once I add in the cost of another days meals in the park and the night at a hotel driving home (since now we will not be leaving straight from the parks and have a night to rest before starting home) I am saving about $1000 which is our food budget so I’m pretty happy! We are going to try to do AK and Epcot in 1 day since we were done early with both in August without shows and some of the World Showcase entertainment.

Anyone going the first week - remember that May 4 is a big Star Wars holiday so if you want MGM book it asap. Don't think they'll do much this year but I bet it will still be popular.

Does anyone know if they are currently offering extra magic hours? I just checked the calendar, but there are no hours posted for May yet. I guess I could just randomly make park reservations and change them later when hours are posted?

Does anyone know if they are currently offering extra magic hours? I just checked the calendar, but there are no hours posted for May yet. I guess I could just randomly make park reservations and change them later when hours are posted?
That's what I did - made random reservations and will tweak later. I booked the ones I knew we would like. MK on the first day, MGM on the 4th, and Epcot on Mother's day because we are hoping to do brunch at Homecomin' and if Epcot still opens at 11am we do not miss too much of the opening hours.

Anyone going the first week - remember that May 4 is a big Star Wars holiday so if you want MGM book it asap. Don't think they'll do much this year but I bet it will still be popular.
Thanks for the info. We are big Star Wars fans and didn't realize we will be there for May 4th. :)

I have made random reservations and hopefully will be able to tweak them later based on operating hours and ADRs.
We are going to try something different this year. Usually when we go to Disney we hit the ground running on the first day and don't stop until it's time to leave. This time we are going to try to be a little more relaxed. We have scheduled an off day in the middle of our week. No parks that day - maybe just hang around the resort that day or go to Disney Springs for a while. I'm also trying to get the family to try restaurants that we haven't been to before. I have been moderately successful at that. We've picked 2 restaurants that we have been to before (dh insists on going to the Brown Derby), I have picked one in Animal Kigndom that we haven't tried, and dd gets to pick one for EPCOT. I should probably have her do that before she goes back to school next week.

EMH has not been a thing since before the closures and I would sincerely doubt it comes back until capacity restrictions are gone.

EMH has not been a thing since before the closures and I would sincerely doubt it comes back until capacity restrictions are gone.
Thanks for letting me know. At least that's one less thing I have to consider when making plans.

Thanks for the info. We are big Star Wars fans and didn't realize we will be there for May 4th. :)

Have fun! Our May trip this year was supposed to be last May the 4th...we had the perfect day set up and everything (CL FPs, Disneybounding outfits, lightsabers + Savi's + Ogas). The only reason we pushed it out to the end of the month when we rescheduled for this May is because I turn 40 on the 30th and that was more important to me.

Heads up everyone, especially since we were just talking about this, EMH will not be returning and is being replaced with Early Theme Park Entry. Disney resort guests will be able to enter parks 30 minutes early, every park every single day:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/01/a-look-ahead-at-walt-disney-world-resort/
This is actually how it worked back in the day when I was a kid, except it was an hour, and even though I'll miss the evening EMH as a night owl, I prefer it.

New to this thread, so apologies if this has been asked! Is anyone else concerned about wearing masks in May? I’m trying to convince my parents to go, but they keep bringing up mask wearing and the Florida heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter