Can't decide...family of 5 on a budget!!!

NHBelle

DIS Veteran
This is so hard. I booked POR with the summer discount, but I am totally having 2nd thoughts. Thinking it's going to be too cramped for 10 days. We are already over budget BUT should be give in and do 2 rooms....Movies is the cheapest, but we like POP because of the busses OR what about the Swa/Dolphin with the teacher rate???? DH really insists on the dining plan though. I just want a magical stay and I am not feeling all that excited about my limited choices. If money were no object I would stay at the POLY or if AKL would allow 5 people in a room I would stay there. DVC points are way too much money and I don't think I have any other choices......I just don't know what to do :confused3

I don't think the teacher rate at the Swan/Dolphin will be as inexpensive as the values with a discount. They are more in line with the prices of the moderates if you can get a discount with them. Would you consider offsite?

what about the campgrounds? Family suite is around $166 at Movies

Are you going to have to upgrade to standard dining anyway if you stay at a value resort? If so, that makes it harder to decide.

If you could get by with quick service dining I would book a family suite at the All Star Music. You would get 2 sleeping areas, 1 of those a real bedroom with a queen sized bed:thumbsup2, and 2 bathrooms.

If you are doing the standard dining plan, for me it would come down to how much the price difference would be between 2 value rooms and paying for the upgraded plan, and 1 room at POR with the standard plan. I do think 1 room at POR will be a bit tight for that long of a stay.

Offsite doesn't work because we enjoy not having to rent a car....I priced out Swan/Dolphin and it is the same as POR. I just think the room and location would be better, but no dining plan!

Offsite doesn't work because we enjoy not having to rent a car....I priced out Swan/Dolphin and it is the same as POR. I just think the room and location would be better, but no dining plan!

I agree about the room and location, but five would be crowded in one room there as well. You might need to pay extra charges for more than four to a room, but I'm not sure about that.

I would book 2 rooms at Pop. I think two rooms will give you enough room to spread out and two bathrooms! Even the Swan would be tight with 5 people. I like that POP has its own bus system and its worth the extra money to me. :)

I would honestly stay where you are. I think you will all be fine and find you are not as cramped as you think and still have an awesome time.

Why break the bank completely.

This is so hard. I booked POR with the summer discount, but I am totally having 2nd thoughts. Thinking it's going to be too cramped for 10 days. We are already over budget BUT should be give in and do 2 rooms....Movies is the cheapest, but we like POP because of the busses OR what about the Swa/Dolphin with the teacher rate???? DH really insists on the dining plan though. I just want a magical stay and I am not feeling all that excited about my limited choices. If money were no object I would stay at the POLY or if AKL would allow 5 people in a room I would stay there. DVC points are way too much money and I don't think I have any other choices......I just don't know what to do :confused3
Sadly, Disney Resort + DDP != "Budget" these days. Have you considered Wyndham Bonnet Creek? They are practically on Disney property (closer than POP & AoA), have reliable shuttles to the parks and are very affordable.

My vote would be for POR. How much time do you actually stay in your room? What ages are your kids? We sleep and get ready for the day in our room, but that's it. And besides a little family togetherness brings you closer. Right?

Not sure when you are going, but I am getting six nights at OKW for a little over $1500, in a one bedroom renting DVC points.

While one of the major places has raised their rates to $14/point, there are still place you can get them for $12/point.

We priced ours out, and the difference between AOA:FS; 2 rooms at POR-Riverside; and OKW 1 Bedroom were basically small. I think AOA v POR was about $100; POR vs OKW was about $100, and I think it was about $150 for AOA vs OKW.

Depending upon ages, you could check out the YES ticket program, as it offers "adult" children a great discount (about $100-$150/ticket).

We have stayed in POR with five before (but one was a 3 year old) and it wasn't "too" bad, mostly because we were either at the parks or at the pool or at the food court. POR is a beautiful resort and if you are not going to be in the room much, it will probably be fine. Just don't plan on 5 people showering in the AM, shower at night if you can.

I agree about the room and location, but five would be crowded in one room there as well. You might need to pay extra charges for more than four to a room, but I'm not sure about that.

Only if more than 2 adults (18 or over).

Another idea, you could stay in a FW Cabin. They are a little more expensive, but they have a full kitchen (including dishwasher;) ) and a grill. You could save a lot of money by preparing many of your own meals and snacks. If you don't have a car, you can place an order with a service such as gardengrocer.com. They deliver. The cabins also have 2 rooms. You can tuck the kiddo's in bed while the adults enjoy an adult;) beverage or just relax in front of the tv.

Sadly, Disney Resort + DDP != "Budget" these days. Have you considered Wyndham Bonnet Creek? They are practically on Disney property (closer than POP & AoA), have reliable shuttles to the parks and are very affordable.
I agree with this. A summer week at Bonnet Creek would be around $800 and you would get 1,200 square feet, 2 bedrooms and a full kitchen.

I looked last night and most of June and July is showing no availability for a week stay at bc.

Thanks everyone...I am leaning towards just staying where we are at this point as we are already over budget and spend so little time in the room. We'll just have to deal with having 1 bathroom...unless some great new discount comes out (which is looking very unlikely) then I can't really justify spending any more money on this trip (which is in the beginning of August by the way). We are also doing a cruise....this is our daughters graduation gift and it's a huge vacation for us....we need to just appreciate that we are going. I am concerned about storage space for clothes though....any ideas on what to do about that. I really don't like living out of suitcases.

Wow do I feel your pain. We have to confront this every time we travel and Disney sure doesn't make it easy (neither do cruise lines, for that matter). The one time we stayed at Polynesian it was great but the prices (especially summer) have just pushed us right out of that possibility. :headache: We finally gave in and booked 2 POP rooms for our upcoming trip.

Can you pack some of those collapsible hanging shelves? http://www.target.com/p/6-shelf-can...1003#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=hanging+shelves

We aways take 2 collapsible shelfs, request extra hangers when we check in, and then pack the suitcases into each other and put them between the wall and the headboard. Then we use the top as a small bedside table:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter