Canned dog food

clutter

DIS Veteran
My vet suggested switching my 13 year old, 18 pound dog to wet food. I'd been giving him a container of Cesar's home on his dry food; he takes a med that's in a dropper, and the wet food helped.

From reading websites, it looks like the feeding amount is somewhere around one oz/pound of weight. So that would be the equivalent of 6 (6!!!!) 3 oz containers. I wasn't planning to use Cesars for primary food, but that's a lot no matter what brand.

So what brand does everyone use for wet dog food. I'd like to give him something of better quality - but I'm not sure that its feasible to be spending $6-7 a day. Anyone have suggestions? Brands to avoid?

Thanks!

I know nothing about dogs, as we've always owned cats. I have NEVER followed the feeding recommendations on either the wet or dry food. It would be WAY too much and my cats would have been the size of a house (they were big to begin with and would eat anything they could get their paws on). I can't imagine feeding a cat by the recommendations the food manufacturers provide! Maybe call your vet and see what they recommend for serving sizes?

OH HI!! I just saw who the OP is!!

Just sent you an email! If you ever need a cat sitter, I know someone up there who would love to do it!

Thankfully, my guy is a pretty good self-feeder, so I'm not too worried about him over-eating. And I plan to stay under the recommended amount and leave some dry out for noshing. But even a little under the recommended amount is a lot. Looks like I'm going to try some Nature's Recipe to start - it was decently priced and easy to get at Pet Smart.

My 18 pound dog gets 2/3 cup of food a day, dry with wet mixed in. A can will last me all week ($1).

I'm no longer using wet food for my dog right now because I was overfeeding her. But...I've used it for years with many dogs. A few that I think are good:

At Petco they have the Wholehearted Brand and my dog really loved it. It's nice that they make it in smaller cans for smaller dogs.

Wegman's own brand of dog food, specifically the lamb. They sell little one serving containers that are about 89 cents.

Trader Joe's canned food is good too, but it's BIG can and not practical if you have a little dog.

My 18 pound dog gets 2/3 cup of food a day, dry with wet mixed in. A can will last me all week ($1).

Sounds about like what I've been giving my guy. At $1/can, I'm guessing Alpo or Pedagree?

I'm trying to do the reverse going forward. Changing my primary food from a decent quality dry food (Kirkland and Halo) to a canned food. So I'm looking for suggestions of brands that are of a reasonably decent quality, yet affordable.

I'm no longer using wet food for my dog right now because I was overfeeding her. But...I've used it for years with many dogs. A few that I think are good:

At Petco they have the Wholehearted Brand and my dog really loved it. It's nice that they make it in smaller cans for smaller dogs.

Wegman's own brand of dog food, specifically the lamb. They sell little one serving containers that are about 89 cents.

Trader Joe's canned food is good too, but it's BIG can and not practical if you have a little dog.

Thanks. I'll check them out! I'm about to head to Wegmans and PetSmart. I miss our Petco that closed. The rest are pretty far away.

Last edited:

Sounds about like what I've been giving my guy. At $1/can, I'm guessing Alpo or Pedagree?

I'm trying to do the reverse going forward. Changing my primary food from a decent quality dry food (Kirkland and Halo) to a canned food. So I'm looking for suggestions of brands that are of a reasonably decent quality, yet affordable.
Yes, pedigree, 1 tbsp twice a day, plus the dry weight management food, at 1 point she was 23 pounds! All her food is measured, and she gets regular kibble as treats, no biscuits. Her vet loves her transformation, especially since she is going on 9. She has so much energy, races around the yard, runs though the woods, jumps 4 feet in the air all of the time. She just loves food, downs it, so she also gets apples, carrots, lettuce, melon...

Right now we own a cat, and she/we prefer Royal Canin wet food. They offer different selections based on breed, age, activity level etc. She’s been eating this brand for 5 years and is healthy and active. Wet food is not cheap, but when you find something you like there are ways to save: we buy from Petco who offers a Reward program and discounts if you sign up for repeat delivery to your home.

Yes, pedigree, 1 tbsp twice a day, plus the dry weight management food, at 1 point she was 23 pounds! All her food is measured, and she gets regular kibble as treats, no biscuits. Her vet loves her transformation, especially since she is going on 9. She has so much energy, races around the yard, runs though the woods, jumps 4 feet in the air all of the time. She just loves food, downs it, so she also gets apples, carrots, lettuce, melon...

lol total opposite of my dog. He eats until he's full, then noshes during the day. I have to keep dry out, because if he sees me eating, he has to take a bite. Hates lettuce but loves carrots and broccoli!

Once you find something you like, I highly recommend ordering from chewy.com. We have cats only, but the wet food we feed them is $13.99/box at Target and only $8.99/box on Chewy.

Our dog is a bit bigger so her portions are different, but she gets Purina Beyond for her wet food. We get the variety pack so she alternates which can she gets. Overall, she really enjoys it.

When I buy online, I always try a price check via Google to see who (of my preferred vendors) has it cheaper.

My 17 lb, 12 yr old gets a tablespoon of wet food mixed with 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day. She's happy. And she gets it on a plate because she takes it out of the bowl and spreads it on the floor. So I got smart and put it on an old McDonald's Hamburglar plate.

My dogs each get about a half cup of dry food mixed with half a can of wet food for each meal (both around 60-70lbs). One of my dogs had laryngeal tieback surgery about a year ago and is not supposed to eat plain dry food anymore, to reduce the risk of aspiration. So they both get some wet food and a bit of water/stock/milk mixed in to moisten everything.

Look into Honest Kitchen-its a freeze dried raw product that you mix with water. You feed it at a raw rate which is 2 percent of desired body weight per day. The nice thing about it is that you can feed it alone, or as a topper for kibble, and get some of the benefits of raw/fresh food feeding. Also its light weight and easy to travel with ( I compete in lots of dog events) and comes in a variety of proteins. You could also investigate one of the frozen premade raw products than can have great health benefits.There are many options for feeding your dog besides dry kibble and canned food. My dogs eat a mixed diet of high quality fish based kibble, dried-freeze or airdried-raw, and fresh foods. Dog Food advisor is a good place to start getting information on different types of foods

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts