Candy Cane vs. Desert Inn? Opinions?

millerpjm

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I'm planning just a couple of days in DL as part of a larger trip (driving up from AZ). I want a close hotel as I will have my mom (66) and my DS (5) with. Right now, I'm looking at a parlor suite a at Desert Inn vs. 2 queen deluxe with a rollaway at Candy Cane. Can anyone comment on:

1. Cleanliness/general condition of the hotels
2. continental breakfast options

Also, is Candy Cane within easy walking distance if we don't want to wait for the shuttle?

TIA!

I stayed at the Desert inn & suites back in Aug 2006 and liked it fine. We had the parlor suite you speak of and it was perfect for our girls trip. The lr is first, with a pull out sofa, TV, fridge, etc. There is a door and you go into the next room with 2 queen beds & TV. The sink & mirror are in the corner of the room in the back, and the shower/toliet are in their own room.

I felt the room was clean (we stayed thurs-tues). We were on the 4th floor next to the elevator, which concerned me, but we never heard it. We watched the fireworks over the MK one night from our back window. There is also a viewing area on the roof. this motel/hotel is a quick walk to DL, as it is just about at the crosswalk on Harbor - i think there is only 1 hotel/motel closer than this one.

I have not stayed at Candy Cane, but have heard very good things aobut it. it is further down Harbor, and probably costs more - that's one of the reasons we stayed at Desert inn - $89/night AAA discount.

enjoy your tirp!

The Candy Cane is much nicer. The decor (interior and exterior) have a unifying feeling and theme. The breakfasts can not be compared. Desert Inn Provides a few bagels and pastries that are Entenmans or Hostess style in a nondescript room. Candy Cane provides a nice layout of good bagels and pastries, cereals fruit and juices, coffee, milk in a decent setting.
The room comfort was about the same at both places. The Desrt Inn Parlor Suite is a definate plus. The parlor is very small but it does close off from the bedroom. The pullout sofa is average comfort (or less).
The pools are small at both places but the Desrt Inn has theirs inside a small room that is VERY LOUD!!!! Candy Cane has theirs in a smal garden area in the middle of the parkinglot.
The Desrt Inn is closer to the main gates of the parks when you are walking. Candy Cand has it's own free shuttle and is a few minutes farther of a walk.

The rooms at the Candy Cane are nicer, but they are pretty small. With a rollaway, you'll be tight.

It's also a 7-10 minute walk. Not bad, but hard at the end of a long day. HOWEVER, there is the option of the free shuttle if you get to the stop at the right time.

Breakfast-wise, CCI has an edge, but we were just there a week or so ago, and I felt like their breakfast had gone down a bit in quality and quantity of food.

CCI standard room:

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

With having a young daughter and an older mom who maybe don't want to walk, and may want to nap, I think I'd go with the Desert Inn for the space and the distance. It's not as nice, but it's clean and it's a really easy walk.

I love CCI! It is always clean, and the staff is very friendly. Next to Disney, they are the nicest hotel people I have ever encountered. The standard rooms are a little small, but the deluxe and premium are bigger.

Plus, it has its own shuttle, which is great when you don't feel like walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter