Cancer and DL

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by dmcdixie, May 16, 2018.

1. dmcdixie

dmcdixie Mouseketeer

Hi. I am new to this board. I am 40 and recently diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer. I am planning to bring my DD x2 to DL and DCA after my last chemo. We are renting a scooter because we just don’t know my condition. I am so worried about people judging me. Some days I am moving great others I am not. I already get dirty looks at the grocery. Do you have any advice. This is all really hard. Planning a July trip staying at the Grand.

2. anonymousegirl

anonymousegirl DIS Veteran

Write Cancer Sucks on your forehead when you go to the grocery store and glare right back at 'em! Seriously, please ignore crappy people who judge others like that. Be strong for yourself and your family, and do what you need to do. I really hope that your treatment is successful and that you have a wonderful trip with your girls.
    Scooters are very common around DLR and DCA. You probably won't even get a second glance there. Be aware of your energy levels and watch out for the heat. I would plan a mid-day break pool side to help avoid the worst heat of the day. Definitely speak with your doctors about the best way to approach this trip.

Lilsia, mamabunny and bluecruiser like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. powellrj

powellrj DIS Veteran

I was in my 40’s when I started using a scooter. I have never been to DL, but WDW is busy and I was so busy trying not to run into people, that I never noticed them judging me. I assume DL is busy too and you will be busy and not notice other people. If anyone does say anything just smile and wave.

kirstenb1 and mamabunny like this.
  5. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

You might get a look or two but most people are too into there own vacation to care about you ( I am not being mean) it is just the way it is, but having cancer sucks shirt/ or hat on would not hurt. ( or something like this if you feel the need)

6. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. More people will probably not even see you (literally - see the 'I rented an ECV and disappeared! thread); most of the other will be to busy enjoying the parks to judge you; and you'll never again encounter the people who do judge.

mamabunny likes this.
  7. Lilsia

Lilsia DIS Veteran

You just have to take care of yourself and not worry about what others think. As long as your doctor says that you are good to go, then go with your daughters and have a great vacation!

mamabunny and gap2368 like this.
  8. dmcdixie

dmcdixie Mouseketeer

Thank you all. I really hope my Dr. says it is ok :)

Lilsia and mamabunny like this.