Cancelled Disney, Changed to a Universal Vacation!

nicolebridget22

Mouseketeer
Originally my DH and I were going to stay at Disney's AKL for 2 weeks in the beginning of September...but then the Star Wars bomb was dropped. We were devastated that the "late fall" opening we were trying to avoid, turned into a SUMMER opening. Crowds, and masses of people, trigger my anxiety so we really only felt like we had this very, very small window of September to visit, and then justlikethat they slammed the window shut on me. This was the first time I felt personally victimized by Disney (yes, really, I cried).

We considered just going anyway, and hiding out in our beautiful hotel when park crowds got to be too much, only to find out AKL is under refurbishment and the expensive savanna view we would be paying for is compromised by construction vehicles, porta potties, and animals that aren't roaming as freely due to noise and activity. Disney is giving me all the signs that it doesn't want to see me this year. I'm not interested in paying 10K for a vacation of standing in lines, getting constantly herded and jostled around in waves of sweaty bodies. I may have cried again.

But we realized all is not lost! We love Universal and have never been able to see everything there at a reasonable pace. Why not a whole week at Universal instead? We booked a week at Portofino Bay (club level!), and got our park passes, for about a third of what we would spend at Disney! And now I'm REALLY looking forward to our trip. The stress is gone. No ADR's, no FP's! The freedom! We're going to be able to just...go on rides, many rides, multiple times and...just...go eat food...WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT? Now I'm remembering all the things I love about Universal: everything HP, The Mummy, ET, JP, the Raptor Encounter, Mythos, HHN, Suess trolley, Spiderman, Hulk! OMG frozen butterbeer!

Thanks Universal for saving my "happy thought" (my vacation) and giving me hope again!

Last edited:

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
Sounds like everything is going to work out for you!!

Glad to hear all is not lost.........PB is beautiful and September is a fabulous time of year.

Yep, Universal is a very relaxing vacation.......with EP no planning necessary........you’ll have a blast!!!

• mjhtvchick

Universal Fan-atic
    Originally my DH and I were going to stay at Disney's AKL for 2 weeks in the beginning of September...but then the Star Wars bomb was dropped. We were devastated that the "late fall" opening we were trying to avoid, turned into a SUMMER opening. Crowds, and masses of people, trigger my anxiety so we really only felt like we had this very, very small window of September to visit, and then justlikethat they slammed the window shut on me. This was the first time I felt personally victimized by Disney (yes, really, I cried).

We considered just going anyway, and hiding out in our beautiful hotel when park crowds got to be too much, only to find out AKL is under refurbishment and the expensive savanna view we would be paying for is compromised by construction vehicles, porta potties, and animals that aren't roaming as freely due to noise and activity. Disney is giving me all the signs that it doesn't want to see me this year. I'm not interested in paying 10K for a vacation of standing in lines, getting constantly herded and jostled around in waves of sweaty bodies. I may have cried again.

But we realized all is not lost! We love Universal and have never been able to see everything there at a reasonable pace. Why not a whole week at Universal instead? We booked a week at Portofino Bay (club level!), and got our park passes, for about a third of what we would spend at Disney! And now I'm REALLY looking forward to our trip. The stress is gone. No ADR's, no FP's! The freedom! We're going to be able to just...go on rides, many rides, multiple times (!) and...just...go eat food...WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT! Now I'm remembering all the things I love about Universal: everything HP, The Mummy, ET, JP, the Raptor Encounter, Mythos, HHN, Suess trolley, Spiderman, Hulk! OMG frozen butterbeer!

Thanks Universal for saving my "happy thought" (my vacation) and giving me hope again!

Sad that your vacation will not be what you had planned but glad that you have decided to make the best of a bad situation - you will have a great time at Universal!

sandam1

Mouseketeer
    And you should have money left over to upgrade to an annual pass (if you haven't already, you should) and come back for another trip or two. Hint: Christmas at Universal is fabulous and everyone raves about Mardi Gras.

Kudos to you for taking lemons and making lemonade! You are going to have a wonderful trip.

• tessa671

Earning My Ears
    Blessing in disguise. After dozens of Disney trips I am a Universal convert. Disney is just too hard, now. Planning and scheduling and coordinating and getting to rides and meals on time. I am over it. Universal is so relaxing. DD12 and I were there in May and we actually SAT AND ATE BREAKFAST at an outside table in the park and watched everyone walking to HP. It was so enjoyable. At Disney we would have been racing around trying to get on rides before the lines got long and constantly on our phones trying to get a new FP. I barely pulled my phone out at Universal. I am already planning for 7 days next year and adding DD3.

glocon

DIS Veteran
    Blessing in disguise. After dozens of Disney trips I am a Universal convert. Disney is just too hard, now. Planning and scheduling and coordinating and getting to rides and meals on time. I am over it. Universal is so relaxing. DD12 and I were there in May and we actually SAT AND ATE BREAKFAST at an outside table in the park and watched everyone walking to HP. It was so enjoyable. At Disney we would have been racing around trying to get on rides before the lines got long and constantly on our phones trying to get a new FP. I barely pulled my phone out at Universal. I am already planning for 7 days next year and adding DD3.
    We love both Disney and UO, but this is exactly why when we split trips between the two, we do Disney first. It’s NOT a relaxing vacation, but UO is! We LOVE UO and love not having to have a plan, just go with the flow....

bobbie68

DIS Veteran
    Hi we stayed at Portofino club level last summer and loved it. It is probably our favorite hotel there. We love Universal for all the same reasons. We can't wait to go back.
    You will love Portofino and the club level. Personally for me it is by far the best club level I have been too.

We just did come back from staying at AKL savannah view club level and were very pleased. The construction was much better than reported now.

I hope you enjoy your trip and glad that you are happy with your outcome!

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
    Wise decision. We've been at Disney since July 6, and we're leaving 2 days early and heading to Universal. We can't deal with the crowds, food lines, planning every second of every day anymore. And Disney cast members have been miserable since we've been here.

• jhoannam

DIS Veteran
    Wise decision. We've been at Disney since July 6, and we're leaving 2 days early and heading to Universal. We can't deal with the crowds, food lines, planning every second of every day anymore. And Disney cast members have been miserable since we've been here.
    I’m sorry, glad you have the option the leave early and do other fun things.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS