Canceling our trip for WDW marathon weekend because of Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not canceling one bit. Got to be extremely careful how this is stated, but Omicron death count is essentially zero, at this time, and CDC just reduced quarantine time from 10 days to 5.
My issue is that if my son gets covid, he will miss at least a week of school (maybe more depending upon symptoms). I am not concerned about the illness itself since it does seem milder and we are all vaccinated, but I would prefer to avoid getting covid and passing it to him if I can. That being said, I am still planning to go to the race, but will just take some extra precautions to try to prevent getting covid to the extent possible.

We are still going, but having just gotten back from a two week Christmas trip to London at the height of its breakout, I'm planning to take similar precautions. We basically wore N95 masks everywhere including outside, ate outside, limited all indoor activities (meaning lots of long walks around parks and no museums, etc.), and really kept a low profile. It will be harder to do at WDW, and a N95 isn't going to work for the races, but I'm going to do my best. The numbers in Florida look horrible though.

My issue is that if my son gets covid, he will miss at least a week of school (maybe more depending upon symptoms). I am not concerned about the illness itself since it does seem milder and we are all vaccinated, but I would prefer to avoid getting covid and passing it to him if I can. That being said, I am still planning to go to the race, but will just take some extra precautions to try to prevent getting covid to the extent possible.

This is our problem. We've had COVID and are vaccinated. I just got my booster and my wife is scheduled. We are healthy and for us COVID is essentially somewhere between nothing and a mild cold. The bigger issue is when we are exposed and have to quarantine it throws our life into turmoil. My son went to school 4 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas and my wife burned through all of her PTO until she gets more in 2022. Even with the new quarantine rules having a preschooler home while two people try to work is not a recipe for happiness.

We are still going, but having just gotten back from a two week Christmas trip to London at the height of its breakout, I'm planning to take similar precautions. We basically wore N95 masks everywhere including outside, ate outside, limited all indoor activities (meaning lots of long walks around parks and no museums, etc.), and really kept a low profile. It will be harder to do at WDW, and a N95 isn't going to work for the races, but I'm going to do my best. The numbers in Florida look horrible though.

We just got back from London as well! Visited friends and then did similar to you when we moved to the hotel in the city. We also came home a few days earlier than planned, in case of restrictions but also to give more time between this trip and Orlando.

We just got back from London as well! Visited friends and then did similar to you when we moved to the hotel in the city. We also came home a few days earlier than planned, in case of restrictions but also to give more time between this trip and Orlando.
The stress was real with the test to come home. We knew that if one of us tested positive we would have a really tough time making our WDW trip so we were super paranoid. Cautiously optimistic so far. We were also pinged as "close contacts" by NHS due to someone testing positive on our flight! Fortunately, we were able to test daily until Christmas day rather than quarantine. The good part of that was that I bought a ton of cheap lateral flow tests to bring home with me as well so we've been testing daily since we got home and almost daily for two weeks! Don't get me started on the ridiculousness of the US lateral flow situation. I paid $6 a test in the UK (versus $25 for the Abbott tests).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter