Canadian Buffoon's Semi-EPIC Vacation - 10/29 - Link to new TR!

I acquiesced, and plans were
made to head out late
Sunday afternoon and return
Monday evening.

That's a quick trip!

On Saturday, I spent some time
cooking up some Rice Krispie squares,

I don't believe you. There was no picture and you never told us when you ate them. :snooty:

We wandered over to the marina
and plunked down the credit card
to rent a couple of kayaks for half
a day.

I've never been kayaking and I suspect I never will.

Nevertheless, it didn't take very long
to explore every nook and cranny.
(Official count, 2 nooks, 3 crannies.)

That's less than a Thomas's English Muffin.

We roasted up some Smokeys
(Smoked sausage. Similar, but
thicker than a regular wiener)
and chowed down.

Are they a Canadian thing? Fran likes these Oscar Meyer smokies, but they're a lot smaller than what you pictured. She has two or three when I fix them for her, but she just goes with a slice of bread instead of a bun.

And what's with the two potato products and no veggie? I mean at least put a pickle or two on the plate. :confused3 Is this "guy" meal planning?

Then again now I want to make potato salad. Mine is better than the deli. But I'm going out for Mexican, so not happening tonight.

Time to break out the smores!

Yes! And now I want those!

Kay somehow found the room
for some perogies as well.

Yummy....

IMG_2496_zpsu27abnby.jpg

Me too! Although I do try to put a positive outlook on things. But I stop short of actual Sunshine.

But after my nightmare drive
from Asheville, NC to Knoxville, TN
a couple of years ago...

Nothing fazes me anymore.

I remember you telling us about that. I say the same thing about earthquakes. Everyone was checking in with us after last weeks quakes, but we were so far from the real action that it was just a little bit of fun. I lived through being on the epicenter of one similar to that size, and never need to do that again!

What about Biergarten?
I checked the menu and it just says "Schnitzel"

I believe it's a Pork Schnitzel. I know the one at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in DTD that closed was Pork.

That's a quick trip!
Enough for tenting,
and all the time we both had. :)

I don't believe you. There was no picture and you never told us when you ate them. :snooty:
I actually made an interesting
discovery with them.
I decided to dip them in
melted milk chocolate.
Chocolate makes everything
better, right?

Nope. It detracted. You couldn't
really taste the square.

Won't do that again.
I've never been kayaking and I suspect I never will.
Well, I've never been on a scooter,
so does that make us even? :)

Speaking of scooters... I saw this the

other day and immediately thought of Fran.
If you're interested, here's the link.
(It's from Hammacher Schlemmer)
That's less than a Thomas's English Muffin.
How many does it have?
Are they a Canadian thing? Fran likes these Oscar Meyer smokies, but they're a lot smaller than what you pictured.
I think they might be
a Canadian thing?
Maybe?
She has two or three when I fix them for her, but she just goes with a slice of bread instead of a bun.
Maximizing the good stuff
and minimizing the boring bread.
Smart girl. :)
And what's with the two potato products and no veggie? I mean at least put a pickle or two on the plate. :confused3 Is this "guy" meal planning?
Oohhh… pickles.
Shoulda done that.
But did put relish on.

As close as it got.
Then again now I want to make potato salad. Mine is better than the deli. But I'm going out for Mexican, so not happening tonight.
Home made spud salad is
always better than store bought.

Always.
Yes! And now I want those!
:laughing:
Sorry! Am I making you hungry?
Me too! Although I do try to put a positive outlook on things. But I stop short of actual Sunshine.
;)
I remember you telling us about that. I say the same thing about earthquakes. Everyone was checking in with us after last weeks quakes, but we were so far from the real action that it was just a little bit of fun. I lived through being on the epicenter of one similar to that size, and never need to do that again!
What was that like???
I believe it's a Pork Schnitzel. I know the one at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in DTD that closed was Pork.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't pork.
Despite the whole "veal" PC aspect,
there's the cost one as well.

Nah.
I'm afraid of water.
I need a push.
1563128275241.png

What about Biergarten?
I checked the menu and it just says "Schnitzel"

Possibly (but not probably) veal, then.
:lmao:
Sorry... every time I see the word "fess"
in relation to anything French...
It cracks me up.

Pun intended.

Sadly, I don't get this reference. But, at least one other does, so there's that. Maybe a private joke.... :)

ETA: my gifs are STILL not working. I tried c&p'ing the link with the insert link option, still no. Sorry. That one is funny too. :(

Last edited:

6 pages later...

We'd return sometime on Monday,
hopefully avoiding any forecast
thunderstorms.

Good plan!

later it warmed up nicely to a
sunny 84F/29C.
Since we rarely have humid days,
those temps are just this side of perfect.
No... they're perfect.

And here I thought you have complained of anything over 81. ;)

to rent a couple of kayaks for half
a day.

One of my very favorite things to do! So peaceful!

IMG_2454_zpsyq9aphbd.jpg

And it does have flora and fauna.
See? I count at least three trees,

Aww, it's such a cute little baby island!

My only guess was there was a cell
tower somewhere and the relative
flat surface of the lake let the signals
carry further.

I was told when I lived on the river that the cell reception was better because the water did provide a better signal. So there may be truth to it.

Not exactly super private,
but we chose it for its proximity
to the beach.

That's usually the problem with well developed campgrounds. Too much noise.

WOW, that sure looks good!

Awww! Adorbs!

We crashed for the evening
around ten or eleven.
I'd like to say we slept well, but...
Unfortunately, proximity to the beach
means proximity to others, means
more noise.

Yeah Camping = Very little sleep. And not due to one reason alone.

We played a round of mini-golf
under threatening skies,

Just don't hold your club up too high!

Adirondack burger anyone?

Hey, it's Disney prices!!

I actually made an interesting
discovery with them.
I decided to dip them in
melted milk chocolate.
Chocolate makes everything
better, right?

Nope. It detracted. You couldn't
really taste the square.

Won't do that again.

You know what I like to do? But haven't made them in years....I add some M&Ms to the party. Not a whole lot, but so that you get an occasional bite with some chocolate. It doesn't overpower the flavor of the treats, but you get an occasional burst of chocolate. I think I need to put these on my list as well.

Speaking of scooters... I saw this the
other day and immediately thought of Fran.

Not portable enough, but cool looking. She also has her eye on one that they have at the mobility store that resembles a motorcycle.

What was that like???

Well actually I don't remember a lot about the actual event itself. I do remember the a**hole ex-husband (the proper way to refer to him according to Fran) was screaming like a little girl. I think we were being bounced up in the bed somewhat. There was a bookcase next to his side of the bed that fell on his leg and he got covered in books.

What really was worse was the aftermath. We lost power. Luckily for us it was only about 17 hours of power loss. But that wasn't the bad part, we coped without power, but all those darned aftershocks were so unnerving. We didn't sleep on our second story for three nights and finally we took the cats and drove to Nor Cal and spent a week or so at his parents.

I learned not to use glass containers for my flour and sugar.

Pretty much every shelf or bookcase had fallen over.

This map here shows where the epicenter was determined to be. My townhouse was just a little bit farther north of the "S" in "DAILY NEWS" under the reflection in the picture.

My work was on Roscoe Blvd (top street in the picture) but about 6 inches to the right out of the picture. That complex was actually hit really hard. There were say six two story office buildings and the wall fell completely off one building. We were working out of trailers in the parking lot for four months while they rebuilt the offices.

We were able to go up north for a week after the quake because the company was essentially shut down while they came up with a plan to get us back to work.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't pork.
Despite the whole "veal" PC aspect,
there's the cost one as well.

Yeah, they're not gonna serve an expensive cut of meat at a buffet unless you're paying top dollar for that buffet!

Sadly, I don't get this reference. But, at least one other does, so there's that. Maybe a private joke.... :)
Not a private joke...I just looked up fess in french...it means bootie/heinie.
So, I guess it would be bottoms up, but a totally different meaning.

Darn. Gif not working. :(
Possibly (but not probably) veal, then.
Like Alison said, probably pork.
Thought I mentioned that to you before.
"Fesses" is French for butt cheeks.

ETA: my gifs are STILL not working. I tried c&p'ing the link with the insert link option, still no. Sorry. That one is funny too. :(
I tried Googling to see if I could
find it but...

And here I thought you have complained of anything over 81. ;)
Not when I'm on the water. :)
Otherwise.

yes.
One of my very favorite things to do! So peaceful!
We really enjoyed it!
Aww, it's such a cute little baby island!
It's just tiny!!
I was told when I lived on the river that the cell reception was better because the water did provide a better signal. So there may be truth to it.
Maybe there is.
I certainly didn't expect coverage
out ther when there was non on land.
That's usually the problem with well developed campgrounds. Too much noise.
There was some.
I don't mind...

During the day.
WOW, that sure looks good!
It was very good!
Awww! Adorbs!
Yeah Camping = Very little sleep. And not due to one reason alone.
Up because of daytime heating.
Not necessarily because I wanted to.

Just don't hold your club up too high!
Hey, it's Disney prices!!
:lmao: Yes it is!

You know what I like to do? But haven't made them in years....I add some M&Ms to the party. Not a whole lot, but so that you get an occasional bite with some chocolate. It doesn't overpower the flavor of the treats, but you get an occasional burst of chocolate. I think I need to put these on my list as well.
Hmmm... I like that idea.
May just have to try that.

Not portable enough, but cool looking. She also has her eye on one that they have at the mobility store that resembles a motorcycle.
Ah.
And is the motorcycle one
portable?
Well actually I don't remember a lot about the actual event itself. I do remember the a**hole ex-husband (the proper way to refer to him according to Fran) was screaming like a little girl. I think we were being bounced up in the bed somewhat. There was a bookcase next to his side of the bed that fell on his leg and he got covered in books.

What really was worse was the aftermath. We lost power. Luckily for us it was only about 17 hours of power loss. But that wasn't the bad part, we coped without power, but all those darned aftershocks were so unnerving. We didn't sleep on our second story for three nights and finally we took the cats and drove to Nor Cal and spent a week or so at his parents.
I get the... ummm...
descriptive term for the Ex.

17 hours isn't too bad...
But probably felt like an eternity,
especially when you didn't know
how long you'd be without.

And I bet it was unnerving! Eep!

I've never felt anything like that.
I learned not to use glass containers for my flour and sugar.
I never would've thought of that!
Of course! D'oh!

This map here shows where the epicenter was determined to be. My townhouse was just a little bit farther north of the "S" in "DAILY NEWS" under the reflection in the picture.
Dang! Close!!! :eek:
My work was on Roscoe Blvd (top street in the picture) but about 6 inches to the right out of the picture. That complex was actually hit really hard. There were say six two story office buildings and the wall fell completely off one building. We were working out of trailers in the parking lot for four months while they rebuilt the offices.

We were able to go up north for a week after the quake because the company was essentially shut down while they came up with a plan to get us back to work.
Holy smokes!
The whole side fell off???
Was anyone hurt there?

Yeah, they're not gonna serve an expensive cut of meat at a buffet unless you're paying top dollar for that buffet!
::yes::

Not a private joke...I just looked up fess in french...it means bootie/heinie.
So, I guess it would be bottoms up, but a totally different meaning.
::yes::
A very common thing I tell
the kids...
"Bouge tes fesses!"
(move your butt)
Usually when I'm in the kitchen
and they're in the way.
They know I'm not annoyed or
anything when I say it.

Equivalent to "beep! beep!"

Hmmm... I like that idea.
May just have to try that.

I have a "thing" in three or so weeks and I may try that even though there are bakers in attendance. They may not have an oven so I'll have that advantage!

Ah.
And is the motorcycle one
portable?

No not either

I get the... ummm...
descriptive term for the Ex.

Yeah, if I don't mention him that way she corrects me. :laughing:

17 hours isn't too bad...
But probably felt like an eternity,
especially when you didn't know
how long you'd be without.

Actually it didnt. We spent the early morning with neighbors who had a generator and broadcast the "Morning News" a show we watched since its debut 20+ something years ago. It was comforting to see our normal anchors tell us what was going on since they were in Hollywood which was unaffected. It was chaos in our neighborhood but we didnt know it because our condos were safe.

My friend Terri lived in a building that was not safe and we went to help her get some stuff out of her third floor apartment but eventually the ****** ex husband decided he needed to get his leg checked out. I don't remember what happened with that but they had an outdoor triage area at the hospital and I think they told him to go home.

After that we walked over to the Northridge Meadows Apartments where the 50 something people died. I do remember we did that, and felt lucky we lived in a townhouse and not an apartment because all the apartments and cheap townhouses on our streets had literally pancaked.

And I bet it was unnerving! Eep!
I've never felt anything like that.

This one was crazy. I remember that, but it was 4:30 and I wasn't awake until after it happened so I don't really remember.

I never would've
thought of that!
Of course! D'oh!

Yeah, cleaning up all that glass sucked.

Dang! Close!!! :eek:

That's why I say we were pretty much on the epicenter. I think if you went there often in your daily life (remember I said people in LA don't go 5 miles out of their area usually). Ugh. This was a place that we may not have gone to often, but we would've gone close within it.

Holy smokes!
The whole side fell off???
Was anyone hurt there?

I don't think so. It happened at 4:30AM so no one was at work yet.

No cause it happened at 4:30 AM and hopefully no one was at work.

OK so the top pic is of the library at Alfred Publishing Co. The ****** exhusband was in charge of filing the books in the library. This is what it looked like after the earthquake. The bottom picture is the Marketing storage room.

My desk was the one at the back of the area. On the right like three desks back from what you see.

The file cabinet you see here fell directly on my desk. Thank goodness this happened at 4:30AM and not 8:30AM when I would have been sitting there.

Last edited:
Darn. Gif not working. :(
I didn't see it was a gif...when I hover over it, it shows it's a png file.

It's just tiny!!
First huge, then tiny. Oy!

There was some.
I don't mind...

During the day.
Yeah, the drawback of camping. Some people want to stay up late and party and some people want to get up reallly early and enjoy the morning. Unless other folks have the same preferences as you, you're going to lose sleep one way or the other.

I have a "thing" in three or so weeks and I may try that even though there are bakers in attendance. They may not have an oven so I'll have that advantage!
Heh. I can see it now.
Chef #1... Baked Alaska.
Chef #2... Mile High Lemon Chiffon Cake.
Chef #3... Gateaux St. Honore with home made Profiterole
Alison... Rice Krispies Squares.

Alison's table is inundated with (happy) patrons.

No not either
Hmmm... scared to show her
the one I showed you???

Yeah, if I don't mention him that way she corrects me. :laughing:
:laughing:
Actually it didnt. We spent the early morning with neighbors who had a generator and broadcast the "Morning News" a show we watched since its debut 20+ something years ago. It was comforting to see our normal anchors tell us what was going on since they were in Hollywood which was unaffected. It was chaos in our neighborhood but we didnt know it because our condos were safe.
Ah. I stand corrected.
You may sit, smugly. ;) :)

My friend Terri lived in a building that was not safe and we went to help her get some stuff out of her third floor apartment
Poor thing. She (She? He?)
must've been so worried.
Did they fix or raze the apartment?

but eventually the ****** ex husband decided he needed to get his leg checked out. I don't remember what happened with that but they had an outdoor triage area at the hospital and I think they told him to go home.
Poor baby had a boo boo...
After that we walked over to the Northridge Meadows Apartments where the 50 something people died. I do remember we did that, and felt lucky we lived in a townhouse and not an apartment because all the apartments and cheap townhouses on our streets had literally pancaked.
:eek:
This one was crazy. I remember that, but it was 4:30 and I wasn't awake until after it happened so I don't really remember.
I wonder...
If you dream you're falling and
you wake up and you are falling...
Yeah, cleaning up all that glass sucked.
I bet!
That's why I say we were pretty much on the epicenter. I think if you went there often in your daily life (remember I said people in LA don't go 5 miles out of their area usually). Ugh. This was a place that we may not have gone to often, but we would've gone close within it.
Yeah. That's not just close...
That's scary close.

I don't think so. It happened at 4:30AM so no one was at work yet.
Lucky... If you can call being
near the epicenter of an earthquake, "lucky".

I looked at all the photos with interest,
but won't multi everything.
But thanks so much for them!

Seriously. Very interesting.
The file cabinet you see here fell directly on my desk. Thank goodness this happened at 4:30AM and not 8:30AM when I would have been sitting there.
Holy crap! :eek: :faint:

I didn't see it was a gif...when I hover over it, it shows it's a png file.
Compare these two "gifs".
The first one is copied from Google
and the second one is saved.
There's been a recent change to the
boards I guess.
Now copied gifs show up as png's.

You have to save the file and upload it.

mine.gif

First huge, then tiny. Oy!
I can be very indecisive at times.
No. I'm decisive. Or am I?
Sure I am. No... I'm not.
Maybe.
Yes?

No.
Yeah, the drawback of camping. Some people want to stay up late and party and some people want to get up reallly early and enjoy the morning. Unless other folks have the same preferences as you, you're going to lose sleep one way or the other.
And yet... the last time
(on my road trip)
I didn't have any issues.
Probably because I was

up early anyways...

Heh. I can see it now.
Chef #1... Baked Alaska.
Chef #2... Mile High Lemon Chiffon Cake.
Chef #3... Gateaux St. Honore with home made Profiterole
Alison... Rice Krispies Squares.

Alison's table is inundated with (happy) patrons.

Well it certainly won't be that hoity toity. Jill is flying in and we'll be going to Jenny's new house. They don't have a kitchen yet so it will be all things that can be cooked on then grill or reheated in a microwave. Jenny's daughter and Jill are awesome bakers while I am more of a cook. Her husband is practically a master chef.

Hmmm... scared to show her
the one I showed you???

Nah. She's just not so interested in stuff I show her. She has to find it herself.

Poor thing. She (She? He?)
must've been so worried.
Did they fix or raze the apartment?

She was not so much worried, well about her cats. She was actually down in San Diego when it happened, so she missed all the shaking. I don't remember if they tore her building down or not. The stairway that everyone was using was barely attached to the wall, there was a huge crack. I remember it shaking as huge burly guys ran up and down with couches and other heavy furniture.

I wonder...
If you dream you're falling and
you wake up and you are falling...

It was more like bouncing up and down. Violently.

Yeah. That's not just close...
That's scary close.

You're telling me! It was like a war zone for a while and so many roads were impassable.

Lucky... If you can call being
near the epicenter of an earthquake, "lucky".

I looked at all the photos with interest,
but won't multi everything.
But thanks so much for them!

Seriously. Very interesting.

The ones I showed you were things that directly affected me, but I took pictures up and down my street. There was a parking structure at Cal State Northridge where I went to school it was like 4-5 stories and it just fell backwards like a slinky. I have pictures of all that kind of stuff, plus some condos on my street that were not so lucky. The 2nd story just crushed the garage. It didnt happen the first day, but after all the aftershocks it eventually pancaked.

Looks like a great getaway with DD. It’s nice that she enjoys getting outdoors, and that she asked to do it with you. None of the ladies in my family are outdoorsy. They see a spider and run for the house. I like camping myself but don’t get as much time to do it these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!