Canadian Buffoon's Exhausted Vacation - Update 09/01 - New TR link!

Maybe someone from the south can fill us in on things we may not know about living somewhere that is hot all the time!!

I don't think there is much of anything we do different than summertime in the Northern regions. Except maybe put on sunscreen if we plan on being outside.

I know the folks in Palm Springs (where it gets seriously hot) plan to get everything done outside by 10AM, and don't re-emerge from their air conditioned homes until after 6PM.

Here's one that Fran just taught me. When you get in your car and it's blazing hot, open the passenger's window and slam the driver's door three times. That will push the hot air out the window of the passenger and help the AC cool down the car faster.

I'm lucky our temperatures are fairly moderate with highs in the 70s and 80s during the summer. We sometimes hit the 90s and occasionally get over 100. The only difference for me between winter and summer is that in winter I get to wear my 3/4 length sleeves with full length pants instead of tank tops or T-shirts with capris, which I wear most of the rest of the year.

Where I live we don't fry eggs on the pavement or cook steaks on our radiators, we just have fabulous weather year round and hope it isn't sweltering on the days we go to Disney.

I was the one who asked him to write this series because so many of the concepts are completely foreign to me.

Really? With the heat on? Or are you using cold air?

Define "heat on". I have it warmer than the outside air, but not something ridiculous like 80°.

Except maybe put on sunscreen if we plan on being outside.
We have to do that too.
Actually, I already got a bit of a sunburn
from being outside too long a few days ago.

I know the folks in Palm Springs (where it gets seriously hot) plan to get everything done outside by 10AM, and don't re-emerge from their air conditioned homes until after 6PM.
Makes sense.
I could see myself doing the same on a really hot day.

Here's one that Fran just taught me. When you get in your car and it's blazing hot, open the passenger's window and slam the driver's door three times. That will push the hot air out the window of the passenger and help the AC cool down the car faster.
Huh. I hadn't thought of that.
What I do is roll all the windows down
to get a cross breeze.

But I'm for sure going to try that later today after work.
It's only 70 out right now, but the inside of the car heats up.

I'm lucky our temperatures are fairly moderate with highs in the 70s and 80s during the summer. We sometimes hit the 90s and occasionally get over 100.
So, similar to ours.
Where I live we don't fry eggs on the pavement or cook steaks on our radiators
Boring!

:laughing:
we just have fabulous weather year round and hope it isn't sweltering on the days we go to Disney.
Oh, sure. Rub it in! :lmao:
Define "heat on". I have it warmer than the outside air, but not something ridiculous like 80°.
Yeah.... disregard that.
You sure don't want heat on when it's already scorching!

I will have to try that (when it does get above 80 degrees here lol...eventually...we had a heat wave a week or so ago..but now it's back to chilly... might get some strange looks slamming the door...but sounds like it just might work!!

I already know how to cook an egg
on the sidewalk and bake cookies
inside my car.

You just reminded me of something that we do up here that maybe the southern folks don't know...our dogs (or at least the spoiled ones like mine) wear boots and coats outside in the winter as well as their humans. Sometimes they wear them on the hot pavement too. But in the winter in the city, they really need them because the salt more than the cold and ice, really hurts their feet!! It's a royal PITA to get them on and off, and makes going out for a walk a longer endeavour than in the moderate weather for sure...

You just reminded me of something that we do up here that maybe the southern folks don't know...our dogs (or at least the spoiled ones like mine) wear boots and coats outside in the winter as well as their humans. Sometimes they wear them on the hot pavement too. But in the winter in the city, they really need them because the salt more than the cold and ice, really hurts their feet!! It's a royal PITA to get them on and off, and makes going out for a walk a longer endeavour than in the moderate weather for sure...
Good point!
Our dogs never wear them as 1. they have thick coats.
And 2. we don't have much if any salt around
where we live/walk them.

Huh. I hadn't thought of that.
What I do is roll all the windows down
to get a cross breeze.

But I'm for sure going to try that later today after work.
It's only 70 out right now, but the inside of the car heats up.

It seems to work. The AC cools the car a lot quicker when I've done it.

Sometimes they wear them on the hot pavement too.

We have booties for that reason. When Fran sees people out walking their dogs in the middle of the day she hollers, "get him some booties, his feet are gonna burn!"

Just wondering if you have watched the Indy 500 race yet as I have a funny picture to share with you. I know that you are a big Indy car fan.

Just wondering if you have watched the Indy 500 race yet as I have a funny picture to share with you. I know that you are a big Indy car fan.
Yes! Definitely watched it!
I couldn't watch it live, as I was working,
but I did see it a couple hours later. :)

Yes! Definitely watched it!
I couldn't watch it live, as I was working,
but I did see it a couple hours later. :)
I usually have a big race party that day but I couldn't so I have stand in bears that attend for my guests. They got so excited about Helio winning that they went out and recreated his fence climb.
May I present to you the Helio Bears.
210531080916-helio-castroneves-fence-exlarge-169.jpgP5301730 helio and friends.jpgP5301733 helio and friends.jpg

I thank you kindly for having the decency to wait until winter is over for such an update (although it did snow in May last year :headache: ). When it's a near-distant memory, it hurts a little less.

Despite Outkast’s assurances...
:rotfl:

If you do, you’ll wind up with a mountain of snow
that you can’t throw the snow over.
That might happen anyway.
But best to delay it as long as possible.
Yes, yes. It might happen anyway. :sad2:

Getting unstuck, like snow shoveling,
is an artform.
[/QUOTE]
This is so true :rotfl: I try to back into my driveway, that way I position myself for the best possible outcome the next time I need to venture out. I find it's much more difficult to jump the snowbank in reverse...

New York winters can be pretty terrible, but our temps (and snows)--typically--don't get quite to your level. So, while most of this missive rang pretty true, you definitely win winter. Or lose? Never mind. I think Floridians win winter.

Was so great to see an update from you :hug:

I thank you kindly for having the decency to wait until winter is over for such an update (although it did snow in May last year :headache: ).
:wave2:
Hi Tracy!

And you're very welcome.
It took some heat for me
to be able to even write that.

Just too depressing otherwise. :laughing:
When it's a near-distant memory, it hurts a little less.
::yes::
This is so true :rotfl: I try to back into my driveway, that way I position myself for the best possible outcome the next time I need to venture out. I find it's much more difficult to jump the snowbank in reverse...
In winter, I don't think I could
back up my driveway.
Any snow (or ice!) and I can barely
make it as it is. (It's fairly steep.)

But having a running start would help.
It would also help me get really stuck
if the road hadn't been cleared too.

New York winters can be pretty terrible, but our temps (and snows)--typically--don't get quite to your level. So, while most of this missive rang pretty true, you definitely win winter. Or lose? Never mind. I think Floridians win winter.
Actually this past winter was probably
one of the lowest that I can recall for snowfall.

And I was okay with that.
Was so great to see an update from you :hug:
:hug:

I greatly appreciate your inclusion of a Table of Contents. I enjoyed reading along over the past several days. Great photos and a very enjoyable report!

I greatly appreciate your inclusion of a Table of Contents. I enjoyed reading along over the past several days. Great photos and a very enjoyable report!
:welcome: to the TR, Matt!

(I saw your name on Steppesister's TR... if she's wrong,
then.... :welcome: to the TR,... you!)

Glad you enjoyed it.
One more update coming up...

eventually. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter