Canada-"Under-Appreciated"?

I enjoy the Canada pavillion.

I only wish they would sell the Cheddar Cheese soup out on the walkway instead of just in the restaurant.

:thumbsup2

In the meantime, to tide you over until your next Le Cellier visit, google "Le Cellier Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe." I think its actually on the all ears site. I've made it twice in the past few weeks. OMG yum and its actually really easy to make. Last time I served it with some pretzel rolls from Costco. Not the same as eating it in Epcot, but for now it will do!!

I can't be the only person that realizes the term "state" doesn't necessarily mean a subdivision of The United States, can I? The term, "state" just refers to a governed entity. A country is a state. Heck, Canada even has a Secretary of State.

We have ministers of state that have limited responsibilities but we don't have a secretary of state. That position was abolished in the 90s. The term "state" is never used to describe Canada.

I love the Canada Pavilion, simply because I think Canada is an awesome country. (Such a nerd, that I got all the questions on the quiz the CMs at the Mercantile gave me. My husband and I still laugh at their incredulous tone as they asked, "How do you know so much about Canada?") Yes, it's dull compared to (most) of the other pavilions, but I think it's more about the beauty of Canada, rather than the culture. Tim Horton's should totally make a deal with Disney and set up a cart with coffee and Timbits. :)

Yep a Timmies would be super smart to put there. I actually thought the outdoor Ice Rink idea was great as well but the Disney Lawyers would have a stroke. Plus it would just be a nightmare to maintain in the Florida climate... and besides, where could they even put one?

It is really pretty. I actually enjoyed the movie eventhough I was initially forced into watching it by dh lol. The cms were very nice and Le Cellier was yummy. I think the shops were lackluster though. I just didn't find the goods all that interesting to peruse.

Yep a Timmies would be super smart to put there. I actually thought the outdoor Ice Rink idea was great as well but the Disney Lawyers would have a stroke. Plus it would just be a nightmare to maintain in the Florida climate... and besides, where could they even put one?

I agree that the ice rink is totally impractical, given the climate. The only answer IMO is a daily pick up street hockey game or two (timed between Off Kilter sets, of course). Instead of yelling "Car!", though, one would have to yell "ECV!" Day old Disney burgers would make great pucks.

Ditto about the lumberjack shirts...I do love that you can get Coffee Crisp there..albeit for a hefty price :)

I've heard a few stereotypes about Canada thrown around by other tourists and I didn't appreciate them either. Someone once asked my dad what it was like to live in an igloo, despite my dad just telling the person that we were from Toronto.

On my last trip, a CM mentioned how Canada beat the USA team at the olympics and this lady yelled out "Yeah, but Boston won the cup!" To which the CM shrugged it off and said, "Yeah, with Canadian players!" That shut the lady up really quickly

I love Canada in World Showcase,but it seems like it is way down most Guests' list of favorite WS Countries.:)

Are there any other Canada fans?:)

I think the Falls area and the Gardens area are 2 of the most beautiful areas in all of WS,but there never seems to be a lot of Guests there.

I DO think they need to put something,ANYTHING,back in the Hotel-that area does not "flow" at all!:)

Canada has the best entertainment IMHO in WS with Off Kilter and the most "in-demand" restaurant in all of WDW(well,before BoG!;):))in Le Cellier.:)

Canada has some really neat Hidden Mickeys and also one of the best "hidden secrets" in all of WDW-the totally cool "IllumiNations Rocks"!:)

Finally Canada always has an awesome Cast!:)

014-3.jpg

OMG! Reading this made me so happy. I am Canadian so I obviously clicked on the thread right away when I saw it! I have NEVER BEEN to Epcot before (my trip in Feb. will be my second to WDW, but the first was quick and only did MK and HS) and I am really excited to see the Canada pavilion! I want to work there but I don't think that now would be the best time to commit to moving to Orlando for a year lol. Now that I've finished university it's time to find a "real" job. Anyways I am really excited to see what's there and I am glad to hear other people are enjoying a little piece of Canada :)

Being Canadian my honest opinion of the WS pavilion is that it is a poor representation of what Canada really is and what it has to offer. There is way more to Canada then maple syrup and totem poles and I wish they would update it, I spoke with a Australian outside of Canada’s pavilion once and there where amazed that we did not live in igloos :mad:

are there really still people out there who think canadians live in igloos? i don't blame disney for that happening, i think anyone who thinks that missed something somewhere along the line lol.

We LOVE Canada. My kids always want to spend extra time in the shop and we HAVE to watch the movie every time. My dh and ds go to Canada hunting every year, so they get a bit of their "Canada fix" in Epcot before their trip. DS11 even chose this year's Mickey Ears in Canada during our trip a couple of weeks ago:

DSCN1758_1_0536_214.jpg

i'm so glad to see someone not from canada with canada ears! lol my friends all think i'm crazy because i love the states and i want to buy things with the american flag on them! now i know i'm not alone!

The Canadian pavilion was disappointing as a pavilion, but the CMs there make it awesome. It's weird that our restaurant is shown through something from Quebec, when Quebec doesn't even want to be a part of Canada all that much. =P

Last time we were there, we asked about a Tim Hortons, and they told us "in our dreams". My mom and I are going down in two weeks, and intend on smuggling in a can of Timmies for them.
Who says CMs are the ones who always have to make the magic?

Andtototoo said:
The public is ignorant about a lot of stuff, including basic information on US history/geography (I knew people when we lived in Colorado who thought NYC=New York state and that when you drove over the border into NY state from PA, that you'd see the Empire State Building). They spend thousands to go to WDW and have no idea there are 4 parks or that you don't have to pay for FP or that you have to stand in line. There is probably not a minute that goes by without a guest making a stupid remark or asking a stupid question somewhere on Disney property.

The CMs have no call to tear into any guest over a comment like that, joking or not. My dd was a CM this year in Attractions and hardly an hour went by that she didn't have to respond to a guest who was totally ignorant of the basics of WDW, like FP or the 3 o'clock parade. If she'd ever torn into a guest for asking "When is the 3 o'clock parade?" she would have been fired. And rightly so.

If you can't take dealing with questions like that, you shouldn't be working with the public.

I have to agree, yes his "joke" was rude but the cm girls were not any better. It was very unprofessional of them to start tearing into him, a polite correction was all that was needed. I work as a waitress at a banquet hall so I not only work with the public but i also encounter many many drunks. I can't tell you how many times i have had rude, insensitive, disgusting remarks directed towards me but i would never ever even think of tearing into a guest. This is part of working with the public, you either treat them with respect no matter how badly they treat you or you are fired.

The CMs have no call to tear into any guest over a comment like that, joking or not. My dd was a CM this year in Attractions and hardly an hour went by that she didn't have to respond to a guest who was totally ignorant of the basics of WDW, like FP or the 3 o'clock parade. If she'd ever torn into a guest for asking "When is the 3 o'clock parade?" she would have been fired. And rightly so.

If you can't take dealing with questions like that, you shouldn't be working with the public.

I completely agree! And am shocked by the posts name calling this guy.....calling him an a**hole.......saying the CM's had a right to "rip him a new one...."

They have NO right to be rude and nasty to a guest! Never. Ever.

If they did not like his "joke" (I cannot imagine that he meant any malice) they should have laughed it off or just ignored his comment. But to start to aggressively berate him??! Yes, that is SO acceptable and professional.

They are lucky the couple did not report them........a lot of CM's are reported for A LOT less.......

Canada has Unibroue at the beer cart (not the Festival booth) for the Food & Wine Festival. It has thus risen in my estimation (temporarily).

As un-Canadian as this sounds, I don't care if there is a Tim Hortons on-site. Timmies has done an excellent job in consistently creating mediocre coffee throughout the land. On the other hand, it would be a great improvement in whatever that stuff they serve at WDW now.

Being Canadian, I do *like* the Canada Pavillion, but it doesn't really represent alot of Canada. For example, neither myself nor my husband have ever worn a lumberjack shirt?? LOL

I've always thought it would be the perfect spot to put a skating rink! Wouldn't it be cool to rent skates and skate in Disney World?

Yea, I always though Canadians dressed like this all the time..

Bob_Doug_Mackenzie.jpg

wait, I guess that's about the same :goodvibes

I don't wear the lumberjack shirts, but I do wear plaid a lot:rotfl2:

We tend to skip Canada because well, I live there so really, why bother? The stereotypes are slightly annoying. That being said, we are going in low season this year and I think we'll hit some previously avoided attractions, like Canada.

But I will say that I have never worn plaid lumberjack shirts, eaten cheddar cheese soup, poutine is nasty, we had less snow where I live than Missouri did this year, it's hot as heck in the summer and we don't all speak French. Oh and yes, I do say eh, but Americans say "right" which can be interchanged for eh in 90 % of the cases. :)

Regarding the cast members, well, if that really happened as she described, it was uncalled for. We hear this stuff
all the time so they should be used to it and should have joked back with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter