Canada Entry Requirements (San Diego to Vancouver / Hawaii / Alaska)

jrabbit

DIS Veteran
We looked at the Canadian entry requirements (fully vaccinated, etc). They also require a COVID test 24-72 hours before entering the country.

We contacted DCL about this requirement and asked if they will be doing onboard testing before arriving in Canada. We are on the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise and there is nowhere to get tested 1-3 days before arriving in Canada :lmao:

We contacted DCL and their answer is "We don't know". Has anyone else gotten a better answer?

We do NOT want to make Air / Hotel ressies for Hawaii if this cruise is not happening. And yes, I know it's still about 6 months away, 4 months until able to cancel without penalty, but probably only 1 or 2 months away from airfare and hotel rates going up.

I doubt there is a better answer right now. They're going to make more of a game-time decision, as it were, based on what the entry requirements are by then. They change so frequently they're unlikely to publish "this is what it will be" so far in advance.

Those cruises don't start for a few months. I'd honestly be surprised if DCL has any specifics earlier than February...or March.

I am also on this cruise, and I also started looking at the requirements. I would not be surprised if DCL did testing at the Vancouver port of entry, if that is still required in May.

We are booked b2b on the Vancouver-Hawaii and Hawaii-Vancouver cruises. If requirements don’t change, I don’t see how DCL can avoid doing onboard testing on both cruises. Tests will be needed prior to arrival in Hawaii for the Vancouver-Hawaii cruise and would have to be done onboard to meet the timing requirements for Hawaii entry since there are 5 sea days before arriving at the islands. Similarly, there are again 5 sea days for the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise prior to arrival in Canada. Meeting the timing for the required testing for entry to Canada could only be done onboard. Hopefully, this will also provide test results that can be used to fly back to the US after arriving in Vancouver. With the continued emergence of new virus variants, I doubt that pre-entry testing requirements for either Hawaii or Canada will go away.

Disney already does on board testing for those who are not vaccinated if the cruise is over five days. So I can see them setting up a system easily. The bigger question is will Canada require a PCR or other tests.we are also on the westbound HI sailing. Me personally I’m not worrying until Jan/feb. the only thing we could lose is out Airfare coming back. Rest all cancellable. If the cruise is not happening we would most likely try and fly to Hawaii one way and use that ticket

Disney already does on board testing for those who are not vaccinated if the cruise is over five days.

At this point, that is only children under age 12, so a fraction of the passenger load. Testing everyone is a much larger process. So I'm not sure the phrase "easily" applies, although they could certainly set something up.

We are concerned about this as well and wonder how it will be handled. I too don’t foresee the testing requirement being dropped with the new variant emerging. Seems it would alleviate a lot of testing if they could go in/out Seattle but that brings with it an entirely new thread to debate the logistics of this ;).

At this point, that is only children under age 12, so a fraction of the passenger load. Testing everyone is a much larger process. So I'm not sure the phrase "easily" applies, although they could certainly set something up.
They're already required to have testing capacity on board to test anyone with symptoms and close contacts within a reasonable amount of time. Early on when there were a few positive cases on the Celebrity Edge they were able to test ~1,000 passengers and all crew in less than 24 hours. My guess is that they anticipate the need for pre-debarkation testing in many ports already. It'll almost certainly be required for the Europe season too.

We looked at the Canadian entry requirements (fully vaccinated, etc). They also require a COVID test 24-72 hours before entering the country.

We contacted DCL about this requirement and asked if they will be doing onboard testing before arriving in Canada. We are on the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise and there is nowhere to get tested 1-3 days before arriving in Canada :lmao:

We contacted DCL and their answer is "We don't know". Has anyone else gotten a better answer?

We do NOT want to make Air / Hotel ressies for Hawaii if this cruise is not happening. And yes, I know it's still about 6 months away, 4 months until able to cancel without penalty, but probably only 1 or 2 months away from airfare and hotel rates going up.

:wave2: We are on the same cruise.....I just went all in and have had our flights booked for months as well as Aulani and Waikiki and one night in Vancouver after the cruise.

I would think that if there are still restrictions for Canada it would be easier for DCL to test onboard before Canada then cancel the cruise but who knows!!

Hope to see you onboard.

MJ

:wave2: We are on the same cruise.....I just went all in and have had our flights booked for months as well as Aulani and Waikiki and one night in Vancouver after the cruise.

I would think that if there are still restrictions for Canada it would be easier for DCL to test onboard before Canada then cancel the cruise but who knows!!

Hope to see you onboard.

MJ
I'm waiting for SWA to release their flights before booking air, but I reserved our hotels a while back. Those are easy to cancel, with no money down. 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter