Can you use the AP discount if you upgrade tickets to AP on checkout day?

Figaroo

Mouseketeer
I would like to get the AP discount on my hotel stay, but I won’t be upgrading my ticket to an AP until checkout day. Will I still be able to get the discount if I don’t have the AP at check in?

I want to do it this way to work around blackout dates for VB during our stay. So, I want to use a regular park ticket and then upgrade to an AP on our final day… hope that makes sense!

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to and will need to show the AP at check-in. Source: My sister is a current UO TM and used to work at Royal Pacific.

Could it be worth it to get the AP + a regular VB ticket for those blackout dates?

A regular VB ticket add on would be worth it only for a day or two. We’re going for 4 days and would like to be able to do park to park each day. I’ll probably just bump up to the next level AP. That would open up the block and I’d be able to enter at 4pm each day which is fine by me.

My past experience was my account was already processed early morning hours on my check out day.

I always stay at RP.

I would like to get the AP discount on my hotel stay, but I won’t be upgrading my ticket to an AP until checkout day. Will I still be able to get the discount if I don’t have the AP at check in?

I want to do it this way to work around blackout dates for VB during our stay. So, I want to use a regular park ticket and then upgrade to an AP on our final day… hope that makes sense!
In my personal experience, yes. I have done this exact thing more than once.

I want to do it this way to work around blackout dates for VB during our stay. So, I want to use a regular park ticket and then upgrade to an AP on our final day…
Does Universal still let you do this? I thought they closed that loophole & require you to upgrade to an AP that would have been valid on days the tickets were used used. I have no direct experience but thought I had read that on here somewhere a bit ago, at least for US/IoA.

And if you need a higher tier AP, if it's got discounts, you want to upgrade ASAP to be able to use the discounts throughout the trip.

If you need an AP on the first day, you could always have just one person in your party get the AP and buy the stand-alone VB ticket or buy the higher level pass unaffected by the blackout dates. Then everyone else could just upgrade as planned on the last day.

I’m the only one who plans on getting the AP. My daughter will use the 2 plus 3 days free ticket. I’m debating on just getting the AP ahead of time or doing the 2 plus 3 and play it by ear. I could always upgrade my ticket right away if needed at check in??

We did a similar Universal trip 4 years ago and the AP was almost half the cost of what it is now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter