Can you tell me about the AKL Wanyama Safari and what it was like?

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Can you tell me about the Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Wanyama Safari and what it was like?

I would like to make a reservation for this event on my first day of arrival at AKL Jambo.

Does the vehicle go into the Animal Kingdom Park or does it just stay in the AKL/Kidani area?

Do you stay in the vehicle or do you stop and walk around?

3:30pm
Wanyama Safari — Jambo House-Jiko–The Cooking Place h Experience an afternoon drive through the savannas and a family-style dinner with your fellow adventurers at Jiko–The Cooking Place. A portion of the proceeds are donated to the Disney Conservation Fund, which supports conservation efforts around the globe. To book your safari, call 407-WDW-PLAY (407-939-7529) or visit the Concierge desk (Ages 10 and above).

Thank you in advance. Ray

Last edited:
It's a great experience, but I would not have done it on my arrival day because I am always exhausted from travel. I would not have truly appreciated it if I were tired. And it's a lot of money to pay if you are not going to fully appreciate it.

We did it in 2015. First we got tea and snacks in a small room off Jiko, and there was a cast member from Africa there to answer our questions. Then we rode in the van around the hotel property to look at the animals. You do not get out of the vehicle. Then we had dinner at Jiko. Everyone on the tour ate together at one big table. Breads and dip were family style. Appetizers were individually served (3 per plate). Main course and side dishes were family style. Desserts were individually served (3 per plate).

When I did it, you gave a credit card to hold the reservation but they did not charge the card ahead of time. You could give a different form of payment in the restaurant on the night of the tour.

I don't remember if there was a discount, but when I call to make a reservation for a tour I always ask. There might be a DVC discount.

We did it on our arrival day. Initially I was going solo and had it booked for me, then my son and DIL were able to join me so I added them. It was the same as Best Aunt said except there was a refreshing adult beverage served with appetizer and wine with the meal. In hindsight arrival day was not a good idea but only because my son has nerve damage in his back and after a 7 1/2 hour drive down, the jarring of the truck was just too much for him and he really couldn't enjoy the meal he was in so much pain. The staff were all great to him since the guide on the truck noticed almost immediately he was in pain (he didn't say a word) and when we got back for dinner there was someone there to subtly help him out of the truck. She must have said something to the staff at the restaurant as well because they would quietly lean down throughout the meal and check on him. I would do it again but not on arrival day because it is a long experience.

Does anyone happen to know the roundabout cost for this? The website only lists it as “$60 and up”.

I believe it’s around $200 per person - maybe a bit less? I alternate Wanyama w/ V&A and mentally think of them as about the same price point. Maybe the $60 one is the night time safari?
I’ve done Wanyama 3 times. You meet in the wine room next to Jiko. They offer you african themed snacks and beverages. Most recently an AKL CM spoke about her country and answered questions - she was charming. Then you go out front and climb into the safari truck (max of 12 people.) There’s a driver and a CM who rides in the truck w/ you and tells you about AKL, AK and the animals you are seeing. Both the driver and the narrator are part of AK’s husbandry team. Depending on who is narrating you may learn more about the animals they specialize in. You drive by Pembe savanna and then through Sunset savanna followed by Arusha savanna and then Uzima savanna. The conversation is easy going and you’re free to ask questions as you drive through and stop to look at the animals on the savannas. After about an hour to 1 1/2 hr.s you’ll return to the front of Jambo and walk into Jiko. In Jiko there will be a large table waiting for the group. The chef will come out and explain the courses and the wine pairings are explained as well. By now you usually have become friendly with your safari mates so conversation flows naturally, IME (but I’m a social, break the ice type.)
I try to do the safari at the beginning of my stay so that I know the back story of some of the animals I’ll be seeing for the rest of my stay.
BTW my avatar photo was taken during my second Wanyama safari, the giraffe pictured is the ever curious then adolescent Gordon who tried to eat our safari vehicle’s canopy :)

I've been lucky enough to do it twice. No, we didn't go over to the AK park at all. All our time was in the savannah at the 2 parts of AKL and over at Kidani. We met by Jiko, but then we took a van over to the truck, which was at Kidani. I remember that we started driving through the Pembe savannah, but then over to the Sunset, which allowed us to travel from Kidani to Jambo. We never got out of the truck, and we weren't allowed to touch any of the animals. The Animal Keepers have told us that that somehow encourages the animals to be "humanized", and they won't get along as well with the other animals. It was kind of difficult with the giraffes, who are so curious, they practically stick their heads into the truck. The entire savannah tour took about 1 1/2 hours. Then there was a dinner at Jiko, served family style, with a small serving of wine with each of the three courses. Regarding the wine, I don't drink so the first time I went, I refused the wine, and they didn't offer me a non-alcoholic drink. Finally I asked and they brought me a soda. The second time, I took the wine, but gave it away to a nice neighbor (I was solo both times). The only problem for me with the meal was that although it was served family style (3 offerings each course-I remember we had beef, chicken, and fish), a couple of beef-lovers took all the beef right away. No one asked for more beef when there was still plenty of chicken and fish. So if there's something you like, take it right away! Cost-both times it was around $200, a little less, I think. If I remember, we met around 3:45-4:00 and were done around 7:00-7:30

It was a splurge for my family but so glad we did it! It was awesome! Fabulous tour and up-close view of the animals at the resort followed by a delicious and relaxing dinner. Highly recommend, but also suggest planning for a different day when you can fully enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter