~Can You Help Me Put This Into Words?

NatashaDisneyCM

DIS Veteran
I sent an email to my son in law, regarding taking a trip to Disney. They live in Texas and I do not see them but once a year.
I told them I bought into DVC and would love to take them to Disney over the next few months.
I also mentioned that some day down the road, once paid for and when my grandson is much older (he is going to be 2) lol
That I would deed him the title to my DVC.

He emailed me:
I really appreciate the gesture regarding the DVC. I did some research about it, and it seems to be another version of a time-share, which are heavily denounced by all consumer advocate groups. How is it different than a traditional timeshare?

I am just not good at words, and being I am new in DVC, if someone can give me your feed back. I know Disney very well, did not go into DVC blind. In fact, I save money, even with annual dues.

so any feed back would so greatly be appreciated!

I think basically you have to admit that it is a timeshare, but the difference is that they are on site and operated by Disney vs Other timeshares in the Orlando area. The value for savings vs staying on site hotel rooms is the draw.....he is probably a little apprehensive of it, espcially if he does not vacation at Disney or feel a draw to.

the difference is that they are on site and operated by Disney vs Other timeshares in the Orlando area

you meant that "Joe's Villas"....13 miles down 192 aren't just as good?!!!

:rotfl:

I don't think I would bother explaining anything. I think I would respond by saying that it is a timeshare, but you have done your research and are happy with your purchase. And finish with "let me know when you think you would like to take a trip to Disney..." effectively putting it back in his court to be grateful that you are offering them a family vacation and ending the discussion about your decision.

In the future, if they don't want you to deed it to your grandson, that is a discussion that can be had at that time.

I sent an email to my son in law, regarding taking a trip to Disney. They live in Texas and I do not see them but once a year.
I told them I bought into DVC and would love to take them to Disney over the next few months.
I also mentioned that some day down the road, once paid for and when my grandson is much older (he is going to be 2) lol
That I would deed him the title to my DVC.

He emailed me:
I really appreciate the gesture regarding the DVC. I did some research about it, and it seems to be another version of a time-share, which are heavily denounced by all consumer advocate groups. How is it different than a traditional timeshare?

I am just not good at words, and being I am new in DVC, if someone can give me your feed back. I know Disney very well, did not go into DVC blind. In fact, I save money, even with annual dues.

so any feed back would so greatly be appreciated!

DVC is only appreciated if the owner intends to vacation at WDW every year for 10 or so years. Many people don't see that happening so the DVC is not for them.

I would not deed my ownership to anyone. They either have to start taking Disney vacations and paying dues, or go through the hassle of selling it.

:earsboy: Bill

I don't think I would bother explaining anything. I think I would respond by saying that it is a timeshare, but you have done your research and are happy with your purchase. And finish with "let me know when you think you would like to take a trip to Disney..." effectively putting it back in his court to be grateful that you are offering them a family vacation and ending the discussion about your decision.
DITTO! :thumbsup2

In the future, if they don't want you to deed it to your grandson, that is a discussion that can be had at that time.

thanks all, I never thought of it as a timeshare. I know that it is ...in true Disney fashion!! But I also know that I missed the chance to pay cash at $45 a point for BWV when they first opened! I have stood by and watched this tremendous expansion over time! I have always had a good eye when it comes to Disney "collectables". I never jump in blind, and I have to add this right up there with my collections!

I thought I was doing something good! and then to get hit by a question like that, that has nothing to do with anything really! I am paying for it, I would deed it to him around the age of 18/20 Yo.

so I just did not get why it mattered to him! I thought maybe I was missing something!!

thanks all!:goodvibes

it seems to be another version of a time-share, which are heavily denounced by all consumer advocate groups. How is it different than a traditional timeshare?

According to a Disney Vacation Club spokeswoman quoted in the Orlando Sentinel, the recent change regarding resale perks "aligns Disney with other time-share operators who impose similar restrictions on resales." So don't count on it being hugely different than a traditional timeshare...

Historically, DVC was unusual in selling points rather than weeks, allowing vacation flexibility...and also had an ending point (like a lease) rather than being a permanent real estate interest. Also, DVC used to be unique in that a resale owner was equal to a direct owner in every way. The DVC resorts based within WDW have a unique lodging value that offsite resorts can't match - as long as that is true, points should continue to have a positive resale value.

The short answer is: invite them along on a DVC trip. See how they like the accommodations. See if the lack of mousekeeping is an issue. See if they love WDW enough to want to come back on a yearly or every-other-year basis.

If reaction to the trips is positive, that would be the time to discuss how DVC works (how much the annual dues cost) and whether there would be value in transferring it to them at some point. But some people don't love WDW trips...it's just how it is...and for them, they'd rather not have to deal with receiving a DVC timeshare. Don't assume they will like what you like but give them a chance to try it, if that makes you happy and see how it goes...

I agree with vikki. My reaction was: "You're right; it is a timeshare. Do you want to go to Disney or not?" :)

The whole deed conversation can wait a decade or so. For now, just tell him to enjoy the free room. If he is concerned for you and wants to determine if DVC is a good value, you can help him with this. First, decide when you want to go. Have your son research the best rate he can find for room only at WDW (he can even get pricing for rooms in all three categories to be efficient). Take the number of points you spend on a villa and multiply by the going rate (currently $10/pt?) and that is basically your cost (for simplicity). Then, compare the two. When he states that the value resorts are much cheaper, he'll see the difference when you get into the room :thumbsup2.

If he wants more information, ask him to come to the DIS and do some research here. I'm sure he'll see that DVC is a different kind of timeshare.

- Chris

He emailed me:
"I really appreciate the gesture regarding the DVC."
No he doesn't...not one bit.
"I did some research about it, and it seems to be another version of a time-share, which are heavily denounced by all consumer advocate groups."
And therefore, it would morally reprehensible for him to stay in one for free...:rotfl2: Sounds to me like the young man is just a little bit full of himself.

Seriously though, I wouldn't respond at all.

You made the offer and he said no. If they bring it up later you can reconsider, but there is no way to respond to him without provoking him further.

Hopefully, when he and your grandson grow up a little he'll appreciate your kindness.

Is there a reason you're not communicating with your DD? This conversation seems to be strained.

I would say:

Hi....Usually we get together once a year, and I was hoping that the next time this happens that we could meet in WDW. I've bought a time share, DVC and can book us a great villa to stay in, my treat! I love to see the little guy interact with the characters and hope this can be arranged. How about it?

Granny:goodvibes

PS. Disboards you KNOW that I'm not really Granny, right?;) In reality, I'm really a Babci....but I was pretending.

And therefore, it would morally reprehensible for him to stay in one for free...
Folks, the son in law is (presumably) concerned about the long term implications of having the contract deeded over, not the "free trip".

And, honestly, he's right to be concerned. As disneynutz points out, having someone "give" you a DVC contract is the same as "giving" you the legal responsibility to pay for the ongoing operation and upkeep of part of a luxury vacation condo. And, if you *use* it you also have to pay for all of the other costs of a vacation---transportation, meals, entertainment, etc. Not everyone wants that. In fact, I'd wager that most people would not.

I will grant you that it wasn't phrased in the best possible way, but it is probably wise to tread carefully if someone wants to "give" you a timeshare---even DVC.

OP: I agree with Vicki, that you've broached the idea of deeding it over too soon. Just bring them along on a trip or three, let the family grow, and when the time comes, you and they together can decide whether transferring the contract is in everyone's best interests.

you meant that "Joe's Villas"....13 miles down 192 aren't just as good?!!!

:rotfl:

Yep....exactly what I mean, except you have to drive 13 miles and could have booked those cheaper in cash than buying their timeshare! :teacher:

Folks, the son in law is (presumably) concerned about the long term implications of having the contract deeded over, not the "free trip".

And, honestly, he's right to be concerned. As disneynutz points out, having someone "give" you a DVC contract is the same as "giving" you the legal responsibility to pay for the ongoing operation and upkeep of part of a luxury vacation condo. And, if you *use* it you also have to pay for all of the other costs of a vacation---transportation, meals, entertainment, etc. Not everyone wants that. In fact, I'd wager that most people would not.

I will grant you that it wasn't phrased in the best possible way, but it is probably wise to tread carefully if someone wants to "give" you a timeshare---even DVC.

OP: I agree with Vicki, that you've broached the idea of deeding it over too soon. Just bring them along on a trip or three, let the family grow, and when the time comes, you and they together can decide whether transferring the contract is in everyone's best interests.

Exactly, don't threaten them with deeding something they may or may not want. Just let them know you are planning on outliving them all and keeping the DVC for yourself!

I totally agree that there are two different issues. The offer to take them on a trip is very generous as it comes with no obligation. The deeding of a timeshare with additional cost to the child is something that should not be assumed would be welcomed. I would not have been in a position to afford the annual dues and the additional cost for travel expenses and entertainment at that age. While I enjoy the reduction in hotel expense, the reality is that our trips to Disney are still pricey. We love it and are going to go with or without our DVC membership so to us, its a good commitment to make. I do think your intention was very generous and you meant well but if I was the son in law it would make me very nervous. I do think he could have worded things a little more delicately but I have no problem with his concerns. Hopefully you can all enjoy that trip you offered!

Good news!! I am awful at writing!! lol I wrote back to my son Inlaw, and yes,
he misunderstood!! He would LOVE to go to Disney ...he is excited and wants to go sooner rather then later!!

He thanked me for clearing up what I wrote!

thanks all for your idea's and thoughts, and I will be able to use them when we meet in Disney!!:banana:

Yay - I love happy outcomes! And I hope you all have a great trip in your new "home"!

Good news!! I am awful at writing!! lol I wrote back to my son Inlaw, and yes,
he misunderstood!! He would LOVE to go to Disney ...he is excited and wants to go sooner rather then later!!:

in the end, DVC is best appreciated once you've used it! I didn't believe in timeshares either till a friends let me use their OKW villas 3 or 4 times, then I was hooked!

Your family is close to California and once that little grandson of yours sees Mickey, their perpective may change as to how often they visit Disneyland or Disney World!

Good luck!

Glad it's cleared up but there still seem to be some issues. One is the implications of accepting the gift which thankfully doesn't appear to be an issue in your case. The other are misperceptions about timeshares and DVC. DVC is a timeshare and while it's a good one, there are other good ones as well. DVC ONLY makes sense for someone who places a premium staying on property at Disney at a moderate or above and for DVC resorts only and for those that can afford it, IMO, without financing. NONE of the other options are reasonable to consider for buy in purposes. There are other timeshares that are a far better value overall for non DVC trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter