Can you cut through Mickey and Friends Garage to Tram?

jjwags23

Earning My Ears
I'm looking to stay at a hotel north of the Disneyland. Can you walk to the tram? Can someone confirm this for me? Thanks.

Which hotel? Yes, you can walk to get to the tram, but you cannot cut through the Pluto lot (CM only since Jan. 2017) to get there. If you can get to the intersection of Ball Rd. and Disneyland Dr.: cross Ball Rd. heading south on Disneyland Dr. (be on the parks side, not the M&F side, because the sidewalk is only on the parks side), go to the first signal at Magic Way, cross heading west on Magic Way, enter the pedestrian entrance to M&F at the corner of Magic Way and Disneyland Dr. Follow the path to the tram route -- CMs will guide you across and toward the structure. You will go through bag check on the first floor of the structure before boarding the trams. From the intersection of Ball Rd. and Disneyland Dr., the walk should only take about 10 minutes or so, depending on the signals. It's an easy walk -- we've done it many times. Look on Google Maps to visualize these directions.

Last edited:
Which hotel? Yes, you can walk to get to the tram, but you cannot cut through the Pluto lot (CM only since Jan. 2017) to get there. If you can get to the intersection of Ball Rd. and Disneyland Dr.: cross Ball Rd. heading south on Disneyland Dr. (be on the parks side, not the M&F side, because the sidewalk is only on the parks side), go to the first signal at Magic Way, cross heading west on Magic Way, enter the pedestrian entrance to M&F at the corner of Magic Way and Disneyland Dr. Follow the path to the tram route -- CMs will guide you across and toward the structure. You will go through bag check on the first floor of the structure before boarding the trams. From the intersection of Ball Rd. and Disneyland Dr., the walk should only take about 10 minutes or so, depending on the signals. It's an easy walk -- we've done it many times. Look on Google Maps to visualize these directions.
The Best Western Courtesy

Last edited by a moderator:
The Best Western Courtesy

You should be fine -- just make sure that when you get to Ball and Disneyland Dr., that you go south on Disneyland Dr. on the parks side (the east side) of the street. The sidewalk ends shortly south of Ball Rd. on the west side.
Another option if the budget allows is to use Uber/Lyft -- use the DTD parking lot drop off/pick up (just south of the Lilo lot, before you get to the DLH). There is a 15 minute grace period for drivers so that they don't have to pay for parking. From the drop off, you'll go through bag check at either the DTD or DLH locations.

You can use and walk to the tram...but there is no shortcut through the M&F Garage, you have to walk around it then backtrack into the shuttle loading area via the pedestrian walkway...which by that point it may be a few less steps but will likely take longer to get to the gate vs continuing to walk through DTD.

You can use and walk to the tram...but there is no shortcut through the M&F Garage, you have to walk around it then backtrack into the shuttle loading area via the pedestrian walkway...which by that point it may be a few less steps but will likely take longer to get to the gate vs continuing to walk through DTD.

Yep. Agree. Just walk to DtD. It will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster, considering the security lines and wait for a tram at the garage. As a bonus, you can scan in at the monorail station, even if you don't want to ride (just turn around and come back out) so you can make Maxpass reservations immediately. This is our little hack.

Yep. Agree. Just walk to DtD. It will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster, considering the security lines and wait for a tram at the garage. As a bonus, you can scan in at the monorail station, even if you don't want to ride (just turn around and come back out) so you can make Maxpass reservations immediately. This is our little hack.
Oh, do explain this little hack better. Sounds interesting.

Oh, do explain this little hack better. Sounds interesting.

Well, if you are planning to use Maxpass, the monorail entrance at DtD is an official "turnstile." You have to scan a park ticket to get in. So, once you scan in, you can start making Fastpasses for either park (if you have a hopper). If you were planning to go to DCA first, as soon as you enter, turn around and leave rather than riding the monorail into Disneyland. You can make the Maxpass reservations from anywhere, once you scan in at a turnstile. So, just make your first one for as soon as possible. By the time you get in the park, you will be that much further ahead.

Sometimes, the monorail is closed, though, so this won't work if that is the case.

We always park at M&F and if we see a line that extends out from the structure, we just walk to DtD instead and do the Maxpass hack and either ride into DL or walk to DCA. Leisurely, since our first Fastpass is already scheduled.

O.M.G. I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

:wizard:

We do the monorail entrance trick when we dine in DTD before entering the parks -- activate the APs, then go have dinner and book a FP or search for cancelled FPs while eating. Works great!

We use this hack on the Harbor Side (east side) drop off spot. We drive from Washington State, so if we can get to Disneyland early enough we will go to the drop off spot. I go in and activate my AP while my wife waits at the car, then I come back and it is her turn to activate. Then we go check in our hotel. It is one of the bigger bonuses of MaxPass to be able to reserve a FastPass away from the park. I used the MaxPass all the way from Oregon once just to see if it could be done, then cancelled the reservations. I hope we get to keep this bonus for a while.

As a bonus, you can scan in at the monorail station, even if you don't want to ride (just turn around and come back out) so you can make Maxpass reservations immediately. This is our little hack.
I have lived here by Disneyland my whole life, worked for Disney at one point, and have been an AP holder for quite some time and never knew about the monorail hack! I always just go to the shortest line, usually DCA, scan in and immediately leave if I want to go to Disneyland, in order to make Fastpasses with Maxpass.

Thanks DLgal for that neat piece of info!

I have lived here by Disneyland my whole life, worked for Disney at one point, and have been an AP holder for quite some time and never knew about the monorail hack! I always just go to the shortest line, usually DCA, scan in and immediately leave if I want to go to Disneyland, in order to make Fastpasses with Maxpass.

I did this last trip ( Feb 2019) in the morning at gate opening. DL and DCA were opening at the same time. DW and I scanned at DCA the lines look shorter and they opened first. I had to get that Maxpass fired up ASAP. We double back and go to DL. At the turnstile our APs got flagged and manager came and took our APs. We both got a little nervous to say the least. The manager took them to one of those tiny rooms at the DL turnstiles and came back about 3-5 minutes later (it felt like forever) and we were on our way. I will probably stay away from that hack. My DW was not impressed.

I did this last trip ( Feb 2019) in the morning at gate opening. DL and DCA were opening at the same time. DW and I scanned at DCA the lines look shorter and they opened first. I had to get that Maxpass fired up ASAP. We double back and go to DL. At the turnstile our APs got flagged and manager came and took our APs. We both got a little nervous to say the least. The manager took them to one of those tiny rooms at the DL turnstiles and came back about 3-5 minutes later (it felt like forever) and we were on our way. I will probably stay away from that hack. My DW was not impressed.

Same thing happened to me. The CM told me that if you scan into one park then scan into the other park within a 5 min period the ticketing system will flag your pass for "suspicious use". Took the CM 2mins to override the "block" on my pass and I was on my way.

Same thing happened to me. The CM told me that if you scan into one park then scan into the other park within a 5 min period the ticketing system will flag your pass for "suspicious use". Took the CM 2mins to override the "block" on my pass and I was on my way.

This is why the monorail hack works better. Takes more than 5 minutes to walk from the station to the park gates.

Well, if you are planning to use Maxpass, the monorail entrance at DtD is an official "turnstile." You have to scan a park ticket to get in. So, once you scan in, you can start making Fastpasses for either park (if you have a hopper). If you were planning to go to DCA first, as soon as you enter, turn around and leave rather than riding the monorail into Disneyland. You can make the Maxpass reservations from anywhere, once you scan in at a turnstile. So, just make your first one for as soon as possible. By the time you get in the park, you will be that much further ahead.

Sometimes, the monorail is closed, though, so this won't work if that is the case.

We always park at M&F and if we see a line that extends out from the structure, we just walk to DtD instead and do the Maxpass hack and either ride into DL or walk to DCA. Leisurely, since our first Fastpass is already scheduled.

How would this work with one park a day passes? Would you only be able to get a fastpass for DL side?

If you stay in that area (I will be at Best Western Pavilion on Katella). Would you ride the monorail in? We are looking at rope drop and heading for PP first. Is it better to walk to main gate or ride in?

If you stay in that area (I will be at Best Western Pavilion on Katella). Would you ride the monorail in? We are looking at rope drop and heading for PP first. Is it better to walk to main gate or ride in?

The monorail opens after rope drop. To do the PP dash you need to go thru DL main turnstiles and line up at rope drop at the castle hub.

The monorail opens after rope drop. To do the PP dash you need to go thru DL main turnstiles and line up at rope drop at the castle hub.
And bear in mind that they will likely open the main turnstiles 10-30 minutes prior to official opening time, and then you'll need walk through Main Street to the hub where they will "rope drop" at official opening time. Also, if it's an early entry day at Disneyland, then you may not get much benefit from heading to PP at rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter