Can we still get valet parking and free use of the gym when staying at WL?

luckytso

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
In May, we currently are planning on staying at Wilderness Lodge for several nights before we move to Boardwalk Villa.

I heard Wilderness Lodge supposedly has one of the best gyms on property. Can we still get to use the gym and the free valet parking even though we are not staying at WLV?

Thanks

Valet parking yes as it's available to any member regardless of whether they're staying at WDW or not. Officially I doubt the gym is available but I'm not certain. If you're staying on points, there's a possibility you'll be ok. Even if not, I doubt they would say anything. Hopefully someone knows for certain about the gym.

I used Sturdy Branches- the gym at WLV in January. When I went in to inquire about fees I was told it was free for Villa guests who are DVC members and that there is a fee for Lodge guests. We were in the Villa so I did not inquire about the fees.

I do remember I had to give them my room key whenever I used the gym and they held it until I was done with my workout. They also wrote some code or something with a sharpie pen on the back of my card.

Like Dean said though, I would inquire further if you are staying in the Lodge on points.

I think you have to be staying on points to get free valet and free gym. If you are staying on cash you have to pay, at least we did when we went last summer. We are most certainly DVC members--we have 3 contracts--but the front desk told us we had to pay for valet when we were paying money for the room. They were willing to change us to points for the room, but it was not worth it to get valet parking, so we paid the $6 per day, which was charged to our room. I questioned it upon check out, and that's what I was told. If anyone got a different answer when they were there, please let me know. That seems to be a murky area in our contracts.:confused:

Originally posted by anniet
I used Sturdy Branches- the gym at WLV in January. When I went in to inquire about fees I was told it was free for Villa guests who are DVC members and that there is a fee for Lodge guests. We were in the Villa so I did not inquire about the fees.

I do remember I had to give them my room key whenever I used the gym and they held it until I was done with my workout. They also wrote some code or something with a sharpie pen on the back of my card.

That is how the health club at BWV worked also - free for DVC members staying at BWV and you had to give them your room key as "hostage" while you were there. To be entirely accurate, I should say that use of the facilities was free, but you had to pay for services like massages, etc. Believe there was a DVC discount, but I don't recall prices/exact discount percentages as we didn't use those.

Like Dean said though, I would inquire further if you are staying in the Lodge on points.

DVC members cannot stay in the Lodge portion of VWL on points. I don't know if you have to be staying in a DVC resort on points to get in to the gyms free or if just your DVC member's card will do. I think you need your DVC resort ID with "DVC member" on it.

Luckytso - FWIW, check out the BWV health club. It seemed pretty nice to us. Enjoy your trip!

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
I think you have to be staying on points to get free valet
You were charged incorrectly. You don't even have to be staying on property to use the Valet parking at the appropriate locations. All you have to do is show your DVC card. I suspect it's a little trickier issue if staying on cash and not just visiting but I see no reason the rules should change in that situation. I guess I had a brain freeze as you can no longer stay at WL on points for the regular hotel.

As for the valet parking issue I think this puts it to rest:
Valet Parking at the Walt Disney World® Resort
Disney Vacation Club Members are not charged for valet parking at Disney's Beach Club Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Resort or Disney's Wilderness Lodge, regardless of where they are staying. Disney Vacation Club Members must show their Disney Vacation Club Member card or Walt Disney World Resort ID indicating that they are a "DVC Member" when leaving their vehicle to be parked in order to receive this service at no charge at Disney's Beach Club Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Resort or Disney's Wilderness Lodge.
I'd ask for a refund.

but the front desk told us we had to pay for valet when we were paying money for the room.

I agree with Dean, you were charged incorrectly. Last April I was staying at the Marriott World Center and visited WL and BWV. I showed my DVC card both times and it was free. At WL, the valet told me it would be $6 and when she saw my DVC card, she said nevermind.

DH and I also received free valet parking at WL, BWV, and BCV while staying at OKW. Even though we were staying on points, we weren't staying at any of those resorts.

I would ask for a refund.

Now I'm mad:mad: We stayed in the villas on cash, as you may have guessed (with the discount), and was told that's why we didn't get the free valet parking. As noted elsewhere, they were quite snooty about the points and DVC, like we were second-class. I did get a half-hearted apology for the attitude, but apparently some attitude still remained. Now I am going to ask for a refund--it's only $30, but after investing nearly $40,000 in DVC, I think they have enough of my money:mad:

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
Now I'm mad:mad: We stayed in the villas on cash, as you may have guessed (with the discount), and was told that's why we didn't get the free valet parking. As noted elsewhere, they were quite snooty about the points and DVC, like we were second-class. I did get a half-hearted apology for the attitude, but apparently some attitude still remained. Now I am going to ask for a refund--it's only $30, but after investing nearly $40,000 in DVC, I think they have enough of my money:mad:
Go get em! If you still have a copy of your bill, you should have no problem. Otherwise, I'd doubt you'll have any luck unless you had other written communications about this at the time. Good luck and let us know what happens.

thanks for everyone's response.
I was told after we checked out at BWV that we will not be able to valet park for free if we stay offsite. I am glad that I asked the question. Obiviously that was incorrect. This was actually told to me by one of those people by DVC booth in MK.

Anyway, I just tried Priceline and got Dolphin for $69/night so I guess we will have to try either WLV or WL some other time.

BTW, DH did like the gym at BWV, but tourguidemike said that WL has one of the best gyms, he made it sound like it is better than BWV.

I can never imagine using the gym at WDW, after going through the park, push strollers, take kids in and out of strollers, I think that was plenty of exercise for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter