Can we see all the nighttime shows/parades in 3 nights?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Ava, May 16, 2018.

1. Ava

Ava DIS Veteran

I'm working on plans for our DLR trip in July, and am a bit stumped as to if/how we can see all the nighttime parades & shows with 3 days in the parks. I'm used to WDW where there is only one show per park so to me it seems like DLR has so many! Dining packages/dessert parties are not in the budget for this trip, so we will be using FASTPASS or standby only.

We will be in the parks July 4-6, and from the schedule that's posted so far it looks like we will have:

Disneyland
    Pixar Play Parade - 3:30 & 6:00 (not technically nighttime, but I want to make sure to see it)
    Fantasmic - 9:00 & 10:30
    Together Forever - 9:30

DCA
    Paint the Night - 8:50
    World of Color - 10:15

World of Color and Paint the Night are the top priorities. Is it possible to see both of those in the same night? And, if so, what's the best location to see PTN to then quickly get over to WOC, and how early will we need to secure a spot there?

I'm also open to skipping Fantasmic if it makes things easier, since we saw it at DHS last year. If I have to choose, I'd rather have a spot for Together Forever where we can see the projections.

And, will there be special fireworks for 4th of July? Or will they run the regular Together Forever show that night?

DLR requires so little planning compared to WDW that I feel like my trip is creeping up and I haven't planned anything!

2. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

PTN and WOC haven’t run on the same night yet (they did for the PTN preview/media night, but that was a one-off with different timing), so it’s hard to know how the logistics of that will work. Theoretically, yes, you could watch both, but as for where to be and when and what kind of view you’ll get for WOC - that’s an unknown at this point.

You can definitely do all three DL shows in a night (assuming fireworks happen, which isn’t a given since they’re sometimes cancelled due to wind). You can either watch the first Fantasmic! and stay in your spot for fireworks, or you can watch fireworks and then hustle over for the second Fantasmic! I’d do the second option if fireworks view is your priority.

Keep in mind that getting FPs for Fantasmic! and WOC require physically pulling them from a machine (they’re not on the app at this point), so you have to plan your morning around obtaining them.

There are 4th of July fireworks... but I haven’t seen them in years. Hopefully someone else can chime in on details.

Ava likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Read the first post here for important information to see WOC using free FPs: World of Color Superthread. That show will require the most time investment since a good viewing spot will be critical for you. There are lots of bad spots (and there are bad views to be had in all sections, including dining packages and even the Dessert Party), so doing your research here will really pay off. If you have shorter members in your group, you will want to be closer to the front or up at a railing. That will require at least 90 minutes of your time to get and hold those spots. If you are taller and can see over other people, then you might not need to wait as long. If you have kids, please don't put them on your shoulders since that effectively blocks the view of those behind you. (Just put the kids on your hip -- if you can see, they can see.) I would think that viewing PTN from somewhere near where the line for your WOC section (yellow or blue) forms would be the most efficient -- then you would be able to get in line quickly after the parade.
    Also, this thread has lots of good information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Ava and HydroGuy like this.
  5. HydroGuy

HydroGuy A Pirate's Life For Me

WDW is a changin' though! DHS has Fantasmic and SWAGS often show on the same night. And of course MK runs (or has run) fireworks and parades (MSEP) on the same night in recent years.

In general though, yes DLR has more night time offerings per park and more rides per park. It can be an eye opener to WDW vets who think DLR's two "little" parks must just not have much to offer.

Here is another thing. The DLR shows are usually better than the WDW shows. Until MK finally came out with HEA last year, DL has had way better fireworks shows for over a decade now. Fantasmic? Better at DL. Parades? Paint the Night is head and shoulders above all Disney parades IMO. World of Color? Best Disney night time show anywhere anytime. Much better than ROL at AK. Better than Illuminations. WDW does have some unique things and the SWAGS and Illuminations are pretty good too and DLR does not have anything quite like them. But DLR shows are REALLY good. ::yes::

It does appear that seeing PTN and WOC on the same night will be possible - especially if you do the dessert party. Regular WOC viewing will be tough because of the time needed as @theluckyrabbit said.

If you have seen HEA at MK, then you are right to prioritize WOC and PTN. Those are more unique. Fantasmic? Better at DL for sure and a pain (literally) to watch with no stadium seating like at DHS. BUT...the payoff is you are much closer to the show physically and it is better at DL. Pixar fireworks? If you have seen HEA at MK it will not be that different. Fireworks. Music. Projection technology. I have not seen the new Pixar fireworks at DL yet but I did see HEA right after it opened last May. DL did have a show a few years ago called DL Forever to celebrate its 60th anniversary and I saw that multiple times. Same kind of thing with lots of projections. So I think I know what to expect from the Pixar fireworks. Cool to be sure, but not all that.

OK, here is my two cents: See PTN and WOC on different nights. Then choose Fantasmic or Pixar Together Forever. Can you see both of those on the same night? If there are two showings of F! then usually yes. If I really, really, REALLY wanted to see both I would get a dining package for F! for the second show, watch Pixar Together Forever from far left side of the hub, and book it over to F! as soon as it ends and see F!. If I had to choose between the two? Hard to say because I have not seen Pixar Together Forever yet but I would lean toward F! because DL fireworks get cancelled so frequently due to wind restrictions.

:wizard:

Ava likes this.
  6. Malcon10t

Malcon10t DIS Veteran

What they usually do (not always) is run the regular fireworks, then add special fireworks (the 4th of July Fantasy In the Sky version) at the end.

I have seen all the shows. I love the new Together Forever. I would see PTN at 845, then watch WOC after (make sure to get a FP that morning.) There is plenty of space to get a spot for PTN even 20 mins before the parade starts because of the long route. When it is over, move to the area for your FP. Then I would do Forever Together and Fantasmic! back to back.

Ava likes this.
  7. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

While DHS and DL both have F! and the general story is the same (the good forces of Mickey's imagination versus the forces of Evil), the show itself is different. DL debuted a new show last year, which new story elements. Also DL's version has some much more impressive show pieces. So, I wouldn't discount seeing F! at DL just because you've seen it at DHS.

I think it's possible to see all three of the DL shows in one day. Pixar Play Parade is early enough that it probably won't really impact fireworks or F!. Personally, I would watch Together Forever fireworks from Main Street and then head over to see the second showing of F! (be sure to get a FP for it).

I also think it's possible to see WoC and PtN on the same day. As others have said, if you view PtN from somewhere near WoC, you'll be a good position to get to the FP viewing area(s) after the parade ends. Alas, I've found the WoC viewing is somewhat hit-or-miss depending on your height and the height of the guests in front of you. If you can't see the water's surface, you'll be missing out. So try to find an spot where your view of the water is fairly unobstructed.

Ava likes this.
  8. maleficent55

maleficent55 Mouseketeer

Curious how you would do this if you were planning on a dining package from BB for F!
    Like, what time would you want your dinner to be to make to ensure it's the 2nd showing

CharleneTheDM likes this.
  9. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

While BB technically has a reservation time cut-off for the first show vs. second show (I can't remember what it is... used to be 6:30), it's been my experience at all F! dining options that you can request the 2nd show without issue. The 1st is more popular.

CharleneTheDM likes this.
  10. Filipina

Filipina The DIS Filipina

It’s possible to see all the shows, however, you might not be happy with your seats in some shows if you are rushing from point A to point B. However, you can watch Fantasmic and stay put and watch the fireworks from the same location. Though I prefer the castle view, it’s perfectly nice there as well. I wouldn’t skip Fantasmic because it really is a different vibe aT Disneyland. It might be better to watch the Fireworks first from Main Street, then quickly head to Rivers of America for Fantasmic. At DCA, get your FP in the morning for World of Color, then sit down early to watch Paint the Night. Since you want to watch both, I would watch PTN near the World of Color viewing area. You are going during an extremely busy time, so many people will have the same idea as you.

Ava likes this.
  11. Ava

Ava DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/tips! We have two kids, ages 5 and 9, and are coming from the east coast. This will be the kids first time traveling to a different time zone so I'm not sure how quickly they will adjust to the 3-hour difference. I'm thinking it may work in our favor for the early mornings, at least for the first day or so, but the late nights may be hard.

I'm planning to start at DL on our first day (7/4), so I think I will get FPs for the first Fantasmic! that night and see F! then watch fireworks from that location. The second day we'll start at DCA and get WOC FPs, watch PTN from near the WOC area then see WOC. That way we'll have the third night to try again for fireworks if they end up being cancelled the first night, or to see something again or just ride rides during the shows. (Should be shorter waits, right?)

agamble likes this.
  12. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

How are you planning on viewing WOC? Free FPs, dining package or Dessert Party? With kids that young, this really becomes an important question. Viewing for WOC is a bit complicated, and good spots for short people are not easy to get without investing wait time or money. If you will be watching PTN first, consider doing the Dessert Party to guarantee a seated view with the shortest wait time for WOC. Your kids will certainly be able to see the show from the Dessert Party section. If you will be doing the free FPs, then study the map in the first post of the WOC Superthread thoroughly so that you will know exactly where you want to go when the area opens.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  13. CharleneTheDM

CharleneTheDM Mouseketeer

Hi @theluckyrabbit! I'm planning to do the WOC Dessert Party. But I also want to be able to view the PTN Parade. Would you suggest sitting nearby the Dessert Party lineup to view the parade and hurry over to line up? Thanks!

14. Ava

Ava DIS Veteran

We'll be doing FPs. $320 for a dessert party is just not in the budget, unfortunately. Thank you for pointing out that map, that's really helpful. It looks like our best bet will be to watch PTN from as close as possible to where the queue will start for whichever color FP we get. I'm sure a lot of others will be trying to do the same thing. I'll keep my eye on the boards once WOC starts running in June for reports on how the parade viewing/WOC FP queue areas are set up to see where we should go.

I wonder if Disney will move the WOC queues? Or possibly not allow people to start lining up until the parade passes? From that map it looks like the start of the FP queues would be right in the parade viewing area, unless there is a barrier or something that I can't see on the map.

15. HydroGuy

I think that is the only way to make it work well. Sounds like PTN may not complete its run thru Paradise Pier until nearly 9:20 or so. And WOC starts at 10:15. Frankly I would start cheating towards the Dessert Party line as the parade ends then dash over there ASAP.

Or, better yet, if you have someone in your group who maybe not a huge Disney fan or parade fan, send that person over before the parade ends to secure your spot in line.

16. wildflower329

wildflower329 Mouseketeer

It is going to be fascinating to see how they manage PTN and WOC being back to back since the parade route runs right by the line up area for the blue and yellow FPs for WOC. In the past, we have always gotten in line more than an hour prior to WOC (because that is when everyone else is in line). I am not sure how they are going to manage the combo of the crowds for the parade and the crowds for WOC converging on the same location.

Skyegirl1999 likes this.
  17. HydroGuy

I have had the same thought. The only way I can think is to force the queues to either: 1) go across the bridge into Pixar Pier, or 2) go back towards GRR. My guess is they will do #1 for both blue and yellow. Or, maybe, they will get rid of blue and yellow sections altogether. WOC has been around for 8 years now. Originally they had four color sections. Then three. Then two for the last 5 years or so. Maybe it is time to get rid of them?

18. agamble

agamble DIS Veteran

The first thought is often to get a front row view of WOC to see the lower fountains. However I got a good tip last year that being further back gives one a better view of the projections. The biggest issue for me is having people in front of us. They block my view, so I know they block my kids. Try to get a spot on a rail if at all possible, even if it is further back, so your kids don't have someone right in their way.

Ava likes this.