Can We get a good TS place at American Adventure

stoudt6

Mouseketeer
that represents the USA! As "Host Country"shouldn't we be sharing some of the best foods we have throughout our Country. I know Hot dogs and Hamburger's are supposedly American Staples, but I think there are many foods that could be showcased as food s from the USA. How about Maine Lobster, Maryland Crab Cakes, Philly Cheese Steaks, Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling and Scrapple, Chicago and New York style Pizza, Wisconsin Bratwurst, Memphis Ribs, Southern Fried Chicken, Salamon from the Northwest, Cajan and Creole from New Orleans and other great foods from around the country!:mad:

You said a mouthful....I totally agree. And while we are at it, how bout a kiosk with wine from Calf. or Wash. State and some of that yummy cheese made by all those cows in Wisconsin!!!!

that represents the USA! As "Host Country"shouldn't we be sharing some of the best foods we have throughout our Country. I know Hot dogs and Hamburger's are supposedly American Staples, but I think there are many foods that could be showcased as food s from the USA. How about Maine Lobster, Maryland Crab Cakes, Philly Cheese Steaks, Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling and Scrapple, Chicago and New York style Pizza, Wisconsin Bratwurst, Memphis Ribs, Southern Fried Chicken, Salamon from the Northwest, Cajan and Creole from New Orleans and other great foods from around the country!:mad:

I agree with everything you said-minus scrapple..... ick. :scared: My DH is from Philly and made me try it once...never again.

Actually I would LOVE a TS restuarant that showcased new American cuisine. Think food from Paula Deen, and Art Smith, with farm fresh ingrediants native to the US or grown here.

No way you're getting Maine lobster on the dining plan (unless it's two credits).

You said a mouthful....I totally agree. And while we are at it, how bout a kiosk with wine from Calf. or Wash. State and some of that yummy cheese made by all those cows in Wisconsin!!!!

They do both of these things...but only during the food and wine festival (and even there the days of free cheese samples are gone)

I know Hot dogs and Hamburger's are supposedly American Staples, but I think there are many foods that could be showcased as food s from the USA. How about . . .

. . . Maine Lobster - because Maine Lobsters go down to the Carolinas (they are a "type", not a location)
. . . Maryland Crab Cakes - were originally left-overs
. . . Philly Cheese Steaks - kinda just another English sandwich
. . . Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling and Scrapple - actually German
. . . Chicago and New York style Pizza - takeoffs on Italian food
. . . Wisconsin Bratwurst - again, German
. . . Memphis Ribs - St Louis and Texas might argue, but still not American in origin
. . . Southern Fried Chicken - actually developed in Mediterranean
. . . Salmon from the Northwest - Canadian
. . . Cajun and Creole from New Orleans - really Canadian

. . . Maine Lobster - because Maine Lobsters go down to the Carolinas (they are a "type", not a location)
. . . Memphis Ribs - St Louis and Texas might argue, but still not American in origin

They may have originated or been developed in other countries, but they have been enhanced/perfected in America.:teacher:

And pasta is actually Chinese in origin so phooey on youey! Everything comes from somewhere.

There are a handful of foods that are truly and uniquely American (I'm not saying you should or even could build a TS solely around these). All pre-date the mass immigration that started in the mid 19th century (which are the real basis for the prior posts here that imply "all American food came from somewhere else"):

Popcorn: oldest proven evidence of it being cultivated and popped was not found in Asia, Europe, Africa or South America.

It was in caves located in what is now the state of New Mexico.

Cajun and Creole from New Orleans - really Canadian

I beg to differ.

Yes, the origins started with French immigrant refugees from Canada, but Cajun is not French food and is dramatically different than the indigenous Canadian maritime adapted versions of French food. The ingredients are based on a different environment and the approach to seasoning is a unique, rustic "southern lowland" one.

Plains Buffalo: yes, you can cook it using any ethnic technique you want. But the meat is solely American.

Some might also throw in corn, but anthropologists have proven that it originated in South America and was brought north by migrating Indians.

I agree that they should have a good TS restaurant in addition to the one they have now. After all, we are the host country.

This is one mystery I have always wondered about. At the American Adventure(the host country) all they have is fast food. I guess that says it all. There is room to put in a nice TS restautant and I am shocked they have not already done so...smjj

Part of the problem as someone has pointed out already are there are very few authentic American cuisines.Most of Americas cuisine is borrowed from other countries since America was founded as a melting pot of nations...Yes America added its own flair and perfected some of the dishes,that doesn't make them truly American in origin.It would be nice to have a TS with a sampling of dishes, but again it would be quite difficult to choose what Americanized dishes it would serve. I suppose they could style it like Colonial Williamsburg restaurant menus

I completely agree. Even though all of these may not have originated in America, they represent the diversity, culture, and many cuisines of our country today.

This has always annoyed me. I think it's pretty embarrassing that they couldn't come up with a properly themed restaurant for the American pavilion!!

I agree that they should have a good TS restaurant in addition to the one they have now. After all, we are the host country.

How about it being a Buffet that was rotated to feature the Regional favorites on different nights and a character breakfast that had the character's dressed in various American themes--like say Colonial,Cowboys/western.

Pretty much all foods are derivitives of somewhere else. However, BBQ, Cajun and many other foods are distincly American. Ribs came from Asia but not true American BBQ style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!