Can someone walk me through process of getting extra room keys (relates to having kids in own room)

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Booked two rooms on Independence : 7402 and 7408 (see attached photo for reference) for me, wife and 3 kids (aged 18, 17, 17).

When booking, RC had to book my wife in 7402 and me in 7408. Had been hoping to request that RC allow us to put my 3 kids together in 7408 and me and my wife together in 7402. Through our TA we contacted Royal who indicated this is now allowable because the two rooms are not considered to be "across the hall" from each other.

However I've read that we can still functionally make this work by asking for non-charging room key cards (I think this is what it's called) at Customer service. So would this process be as simple as:

1. Me going to CS and asking them give me an extra, non chargeable, room key for 7402; and then also an extra an extra non-chargeable room key for 7408 (that I would then give to my daughter who is currently booked in 7402, in order for her to access 7408). Or will my daughter need to come to CS as well, in case they need to take photos?
2. Is there any documentation I need to bring to allow this? Or will they not question anything because the two rooms are linked together with me as the contact person?
3. I assume I have to wait until I board to arrange this? No other way to make this request? Planning to avoid Customer service the first day because it's always crazy busy then, or at least wait until the late evening.
4. Anything else we need to consider or do to make this work?

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 2.57.58 PM.png

Never done this on Royal but have on Disney never a problem.
But some words of wisdom 💕when you get off/on the ship everyone will need the key card with their name on it. It’s easy to leave a card with the extra cards
so double check.

Last edited:
We did this last family cruise. My parents had an extra key for our room and we had an extra key for their room (because I have 4 kids and they had to have two in their room - this way if the kids needed anything we could all get into the rooms). Once we got on the ship we went to guest services and they gave them to us no problem.

We did this last family cruise. My parents had an extra key for our room and we had an extra key for their room (because I have 4 kids and they had to have two in their room - this way if the kids needed anything we could all get into the rooms). Once we got on the ship we went to guest services and they gave them to us no problem.

Did your parents have to come with you to get the extra room key for your room? i.e. provided that the extra keys are given to an adult listed on the reservations, does guest services care who actually has possession of them?

Did your parents have to come with you to get the extra room key for your room? i.e. provided that the extra keys are given to an adult listed on the reservations, does guest services care who actually has possession of them?
Technically, yes, they will want to see the key card / picture ID of a registered adult in that room. Sometimes just the card might do, but - like in hotels - they have the right to ask for that adult to be present.

Yes an adult from each room had to be at guest services. But since guest services is in a central location (near lots of bars...) it isn't a big deal to be there.

I went to guest services the first evening and asked to officially swap me and my son so that my kids were in one room and my husband and I were in the other. They seemed more than willing to do that and had no issue with providing me a key to the kids room. Our rooms were next to each other, but not connecting (was a last minute trip and much cheaper that way)! I saw them doing the same thing for people near us where the kids were across the hall and a few doors down from the parents as well. We did need to both be present because we had to turn in our set sail passes and get new ones, in addition to getting the extra one for the kids room. I just waited until the line was manageable to take care of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter