Can someone offer suggestions what to see and what not at Seaworld

Northernlites

Mouseketeer
This will be a one day trip in mid December with a 8yo. I checked out on line and tour books like Frommers and Fodors but really can't find anything that provides ratings for the attractions. We are looking for suggestions of what to spend time on and what not and touring strategies if they exist. We probably won't go to a night holiday show as there is snow right now in my backyard.

Sea World has the best Christmas decorations and shows out of all the Florida parks,yes even better than some Disney parks.Their O' Wondrous Night show is spectacular as is their sea of trees in the lagoon.

Definitely go to One Ocean and Sea Lion High (those are my favorite shows in the park).

I would urge you to reconsider not going on a day when SeaWorld is offering their Christmas Celebration events. I, too, have no love of winter (living in Canada, we get WAY more than our share of cold and snow) but the SeaWorld holiday events are OUTSTANDING. It's also included with your regular park admission, so truly....you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by going. Oh Wondrous Night is simply spectacular: if you saw nothing else at SeaWorld this December, THIS would be my foremost "do NOT miss".

The only "don't bother" item, in my opinion, are the swan boats. They cost extra and they are frustrating to navigate.

For animal feedings, we found the shark feeding to be "meh". The sting rays and the sea lions are super fun to feed, so budget for a tray of food or two.

If you want to get up close with a dolphin but don't want to break the bank, sign up for the dolphin encounter. Its a steal at $15 a person and the photographers get AWESOME pictures (which are an extra cost, no obligation to purchase though).

Coaster lovers should not miss Manta, Mako and Kraken. Journey to Atlantis is another favourite of my thrill-enthusiast husband.

Don't pass by the Aquariums at Manta and Journey to Atlantis. They are fantastic and worth a few minute of your day.

All of the shows are awesome. Blue Horizons is a family favourite in particular. Clyde & Seamore, Pets Ahoy and One Ocean are also fabulously done.

I only have San Diego experience, but I'm sure there are big similarities.

The sea lion show in SD is terrific and I'm sure it is in Orlando. It's a show using animals but it doesn't give me the same uncomfortable feelings as the other sea mammal shows. I had a "buy one day get another day" ticket and saw the show both days. The second day was incredibly hot for San Diego, the bigger sea lion did NOT want to work, and he didn't. The handlers were terrific about it and it was almost funnier to have the animals just saying "nope". Not sure if there's an otter in Orlando but he was reacting to the heat as well, behaving like he had never seen the sea lion before.

The Pets show in SD is fabulous. My brother and sis in law had annual passes just for that show at one point.

I cannot stand One Ocean, Blue Horozons, or their precursors. We gave the orca show and the dolphin show two chances and hated them. Even my kid who was little at the time balked at the cheesiness. And of course even seaworld is backing away from those shows.

The rides look about the same as in SD. Do those. :)

I was in San Diego for the first time to see Sea World last September.... tips....
  • check the show schedule to plan your arrival and maximize the time to see the shows you want to see.
  • I was shocked to hear the people were asked to leave when the last show was over. I wanted to explore more of the park, but the announcement said it was closing.
  • I went there on public transit.... after the last show... the bus runs ONCE an hour. Yep the bus was crowded. Plan when to be at the bus stop to avoid being left behind.
  • One Ocean is ending it's run this year.
  • loved the dolphin show as well
  • pay attention to the lower bowl splash zone.... especially with cameras and iphones!
  • bring hats.... there's hardly any shade in the stadiums. Otherwise, show up 25 minutes in advance to pick the rare seats with shade.
  • do plan for a DCL Wonder Alaska cruise afterwards to check out more whales

I agree with the others to go on a Fri, Sat, or Sun to experience the holiday stuff. The shows are amazing! If you want to guarantee to get a seat you can pay for the holiday show seating package and there is a special section at each show. Also, we like the penguin attraction. It starts off as a ride where you choose between mild or spinning and then you walk off to the penguins. Be aware it is very cold. Speaking of cold I can't remember f this was mentioned or not but we also enjoy Wild Arctic. You can either do the motion simulator and then see the animals or do the non motion movie and then see the animals. If you need a suggestion for a meal Sharks Underwater Grill is like CR at Epcot. You can make a reservation online.

Last edited:

I have been to both parks (Orlando and San Diego , actually this summer on back to back days. I think the two parks are more different then similar. The park in San Diego is more quaint and feels older. The Sea lion show was similar but both the dolphin and whale shows were vastly different. Orlando is more of a production and San Diego was more natural. You 8 year old will likely not make the height requirements for the big 3 coasters. But Atlantis is a good ride, BUT you will almost always be wetter then when riding splash mountain. Our general strategy is to hit blue horizons and the sea lion show first and then head to Happy Harbor. If you get there before the first shamu show, you should have the place pretty much to yourself. It is fun to climb and ride the small rides there. After the first Shamu show it does get more crowded. I agree that the Christmas decorations are really well done. After that you can see the rest of the shows and exhibits. Mid December you shouldn't have much of a crowd problem.

We just got back (went last Wed and this past Sat). The Christmas shows are outstanding, as well as the Christmas Tree light show, and the Rudolph and Friends area. On Wed we saw all of the "normal" shows, then saw all the Christmas ones on Sat (It was quite the race to see all of the Christmas shows in one night).

I would wait for the last showing of the Christmas One Ocean, it is toward park closing time and you can get a front and center seat within 15 min of showtime.

I agree with Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina. The Actic ride can be a little disconcerting if you have motion issues with 3d stuff. For my Grandkids a highlight is the Animal Encounters in back by the BBQ restaurant. Guests get up close with some really cool animals and the educators also hand out different collector cards for free. Ususally the cards are specific for the animal that they have withthem but at other areas in the park the educators carry a variety of cards about different animals.

The Christmas show and the ice Skating show both are so great. Seaworld in December is just so amazing.
This from a major Disney nut.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter