Can my kids wear shorts to dinner?

CAmom2boys

Mouseketeer
DH and our two boys (ages 5 and 2) will be cruising for the first time in two weeks. :banana: Is it ok for them to wear shorts (and a collared shirt) for dinner, or do I need to pack long pants for them too? I hate to pack more stuff that they won't wear except for a couple hours in the evening, especially since they are young and likely to make a mess of themselves each and every time. :rolleyes: If they do need pants, can they be jeans? DH won't be very happy if I have to do more shopping. :rotfl:

D'Anne

Dress shorts are fine, esp for kids. khaki's, cotton twill...that sort of thing.

NCardella said:
Dress shorts are fine, esp for kids. khaki's, cotton twill...that sort of thing.

My DS is 10. Is there an expectation for older kids to wear pants? If he can wear nice shorts he's going to be one very happy boy. He'd love to wear shorts and not have to wear a tie. :)

That is such a young age! They may be in PJ's and snoozing - who knows? I'm sure you sound like someone with good judgement! Whatever you deem appropriate is probably going to be just fine. My DS9 may be untucked, but he'll look neat and tidy on our first Disney Cruise this Augus (cat 3 - yeah! Or yikes - the price!) Have fun.

I should have also specified that we will be on the Wonder for a 4-night cruise. From what I have read here, it is more casual than the Magic, which suits us perfectly. We are starting our vacation at WDW and I plan on doing laungry once, I just don't want to pack an extra 8 pairs of pants for my messy kids. :teeth:

A much more casual dress code has always been condoned for small children, but the older they get, the more they should be expected to confrom to the standard dress code. I would say by 10 or so I would be expecting a child traveling with me to be dressed properly for dinner, or to make other arrangements to eat that night.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, though, and to my knowledge DCL has never refused to seat anyone in the main dining rooms, so really nothing that anyone says here has any affect on what actually happens on the ship!

Hope you have a great cruise!

I took my two sons (13 & 10 at the time) each a pair of black Docker dress pants. They wore them to dinner every evening, had them on for about 2 hours each time. If they got a spot I just wiped with a wet cloth....and they were good to go. No need to pack more than a pair each for sure. I would definitely agree that a 5 & 2 year old could get away with dress shorts!

Even if you do decide to get them each a pair of dockers type pants, a tie is not required, not ever on the wonder, definately not.

Surroundedbyboys said:
I took my two sons (13 & 10 at the time) each a pair of black Docker dress pants. They wore them to dinner every evening, had them on for about 2 hours each time. If they got a spot I just wiped with a wet cloth....and they were good to go. No need to pack more than a pair each for sure. I would definitely agree that a 5 & 2 year old could get away with dress shorts!
You haven't seen my 2-year old after dinner. :rotfl2: Sometimes I wonder if he gets any food in his mouth.

Thank you all for your opinions. I will rest easier knowing that we won't be thrown out of the dining room for not following the dress code. ;) I think they will look adorable (and bright) in their khaki shorts and matching tropical shirts. :goodvibes

Okay, we're going to compromise - pants and no tie for him. :teeth: He'll wear suit if I tell him that is what is expected. We've never cruised so I just didn't know how he'd blend with the other kids.

For a 5 and 2 year old I would think it would be fine for dreesy shorts and a nice shirt....by 8 they should be wearing long pants at dinner IMO. I had my 5 year old wear a dress or capris or pants, I didn't let her wear shorts to dinner but I think it would have been ok if she did...

I definitely think the little ones should be comfortable at dinner. Most of them ended up sound asleep across the chairs anyway. One thing to keep in mind though, the dining rooms and the theatre can get cold. I always brought down a sweater or shawl with me.

DS stopped wearing dress shorts to dinner when he was 6. Dockers & a button down shirt with a tie is what he goes with now. He wears a suit to formal nights.

My boys will be 10 and 12 when we cruise.Are nice gym shoes ok with dress pants also can I swap there dress shirts from the first/third night.I want to pack light if possible.This is for the 3 day cruise.

Sneakers with dockers & dress shirts??? IDK about others but there is no way that I would let DS try that.

lbgraves said:
Sneakers with dockers & dress shirts??? IDK about others but there is no way that I would let DS try that.

The complete opposite of the old guys you see mowing the lawn in dress shoes, navy blue socks, and shorts!

Put me down for a nay on the dinner sneakers as well.

alcoromom said:
My boys will be 10 and 12 when we cruise.Are nice gym shoes ok with dress pants also can I swap there dress shirts from the first/third night.I want to pack light if possible.This is for the 3 day cruise.

Others have suggested they didn't think sneakers would look good with dress pants but you said "nice gym shoes" so I think it depends on what they look like. My DS is a toddler so I don't know what 10 and 12 year old sneakers look like but DS's sneakers are beige/blue. They look like this, but in boy colors http://store.nordstrom.com/product/...81535&NextStyleID=2900106&PrevStyleID=2845684 He's never had white ones since the colored ones are so cute. I think these type sneakers would be fine.

To the OP, I think you will likely see a lot of variation. I plan on dressing DH and DS in a tux on formal night, not because its required but because I want a formal family photo. Whether DS wears pants or dress shorts will depend on what cute things I find near our cruise time. For kids that age, I think sometimes the short outfits are actually dressier looking. For example, for Easter I found him a cute pant outfit with a sweater vest (my avatar photo) but for Mother's Day Brunch, he'll wear a dressy linen type material short overall outfit with safari animals and matching socks. For Father's Day, he'll wear a dress shirt and shorts with a matching navy sweater vest. I can't say that the pant outfit is more dressy than the shorts. Suprisingly, I think the safari overalls look the dressiest and will look equally fine with either dress sandals or his saddle shoes. I'm sure, given the thought you are putting into it, your DS's will look like little prince charmings in whatever you choose.

KimberlyC said:
Others have suggested they didn't think sneakers would look good with dress pants but you said "nice gym shoes" so I think it depends on what they look like.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. My DS has sneakers that definitely look more like dress shoes than gym sneakers. My DH has the deck shoes that pull double duty, he wears them with jeans or with dockers. Another option, if you're looking at sandals anyway for the summer, maybe the closed toe fisherman type sandal shown here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter