Can my 20 year old DD take her little sister into Canada??

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by D L and K's Mom, Jul 18, 2011.

  1. D L and K's Mom

    D L and K's Mom <font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<

    Mar 17, 2001
    We live in upstate NY. My older DD who is 20 would like to take her little sister to the water park in Canada. Older DD has a passport and younger DD who is 8 has a birth certificate. Can my older DD take younger DD to the park if I send a note and her cert???? Will she have trouble going into Canada and then leaving to enter NY???I googled but cant find any info. Thanks!!
  2. tone.def

    tone.def <font color=red>My Mommy told me I look pretty all

    Jan 17, 2005
    I'm apt to think "no" without a passport and a letter stamped/witnessed by a notary.

  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. bdcp

    bdcp DIS Veteran

    Nov 13, 2004
    I googled and got this:

    Scroll down to entry/exit requirements for US citizens.

    A passport is not required for anyone under 15, but the problem comes in with someone who is not the child's parent or guardian wanting to take her across the border. Check the state dept website as there can be other requirements for children.
  5. MedicGoofy

    MedicGoofy DIS Veteran

    Jan 10, 2011
    I have taken my little sister across the border from Canada to the US several times without issue. I always have a note from the Mom, but have never been asked to provide it.

    In MY experience, they aren't as strict as some make it out to be. Again, in MY experience.
  6. peimikes

    peimikes Mouseketeer

    Jul 20, 2009
    I have only been asked by US customs for our DD4's passport, The Canadian guards have not asked for it. We have crossed into Maine 3 times in the last 2 years and it's been the same each time.
  7. dntd

    dntd Mouseketeer

    Jun 17, 2010
    She will be fine, they an only ask for a birth cert for kids. As you are giving permission you should have no issues, just remind her no alcohol or tobacco as that will really mess with the crossing. We live on a boarder town in Canada have yet to ever hear of kids being denied even when family friends bring kids over.

Share This Page