Can I set spending limit on MB for child?

LukDuk

Earning My Ears
DD is learning financial literacy. I want to "bank" a fixed sum on her MB so she can be in complete control of her choices and purchases. is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

DD is learning financial literacy. I want to "bank" a fixed sum on her MB so she can be in complete control of her choices and purchases. is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
No, all purchases are charged to the onsite Room account before being charged to the credit card on file.

You can give her a Disney gift card with the specific amount and the purchase receipts will show the balance available.

No, all purchases are charged to the onsite Room account before being charged to the credit card on file.

You can give her a Disney gift card with the specific amount and the purchase receipts will show the balance available.

How old is she? I think there's also an important lesson in learning to track your own spending and not going over a certain amount even though you could.

In my experience, people staying in the same room all have access to spending, if allowed. You can see who made each charge to the room. You could;

a) tell her the amount and have her keep track of her spending - or
b) buy a Disney gift card with her budget loaded before or after you arrive

https://www.disneystore.com/gift-cards/mn/1001265/?CMP=KNC-DSPGiftscardBrandedGoogle&mkwid=szHuRAICz_dc|pcrid|58145381712|pkw|disney%2520-%2520gift%2520cards|pmt|e&s_kwcid=AL!4279!3!58145381712!e!!g!!disney%2520-%2520gift%2520cards&ef_id=VH@YrgAABClB-1Mg:20150419010331:s

Thanks HiroMYHero, Maggie'sMom and Hootch -- it sounds like a gift card is the way to go.

I want her to track her purchases without me Birddogging her, but her math/reliability isn't always perfect. The room account would let her go over, and I don't want any surprises on checkout day :). Although now that I think about it, I wouldn't want her to stand in line at a register only to experience a decline because she hit a max on a band, either (if that were an option, I get that it's not).

Our 11 year old used her Magic Band for purchases and just totaled her receipts at the end of they day, so she always knew how much money she had left. It worked well for her.

I made DGD this, it folds in half and is the same size as the gift card so they fit together. We used a pen to check off each $1 she spent. She was 7 when I gave it to her
50.jpg

I always give my kids charging privileges, and tell them the amount they can spend. None of them have ever hit their limit.

I used a system that progressed during the ages. First we used Disney dollars, but that's not an option anymore. At 7 we started gift cards just for snacks. Then we started using it for snacks and suveniors. Then about 12 or 13 we let them do gift cards for quick snack during lunch, as well as snacks and suveniors. Yes there were vacations they left upset because they over spent and had no snacks for a few days, ( at least not the snacks they wanted, just cheese its from moms stash).

We would make them take the receipts and add them up and show us what they had left at the end of each night. By the time they were 18 they were able to pay for everything, even all there own meals, and there share of the resort room. Yes, we started it by making them pay into the vacation also, even at a young age. We gave allowance, but the kids had to pay into family vacations and such. For round figures, I am using higher numbers, but say allowance was $50, they had to put 5% into family vacation, so they would have to put $2.50 into the jar every week for a year. Which gave the kids $130 for suveniors at the end of year, we never charged them for food or anything, but I feel it did very much help my children learn not just how to spend money responsibly but how when they earn it, how to save it for a vacation a year out.

Sorry I'm late, yes you can set limits per magicband (technically per guest on the reservation). Only the front desk can help setup the folio account with limits and items.. they will try really hard for you to not do this but it is possible.

I do agree with everyone else that a gift card is the better way to go. They can see the balance on the receipt and you can put the card into disneygiftcards.com in case they misplace it to move it's value to another card (and get yourself a $5 card into the system so you can do this before someone else finds it and spends it).

I gave my kids Disney gift cards for our trip in one week. They can manage their own spending. It's fun to watch them agonize over what to buy!

I would not want them to have charging privileges on our account! There isn't enough money in Ft. Knox to suppot that.

I made DGD this, it folds in half and is the same size as the gift card so they fit together. We used a pen to check off each $1 she spent. She was 7 when I gave it to her
50.jpg

This is an awesome idea to help kids learn about making choices with their money. We did not allow our kids to have MB spending on their bands. We went the gift card route as well.

This is an awesome idea to help kids learn about making choices with their money. We did not allow our kids to have MB spending on their bands. We went the gift card route as well.
Yes, she didn't quite understand what things cost compared to what she had to spend yet. The more I thought about it the more I realized it was the summer after kindergarten that I gave that to her, so she was 6, not 7. She could not subtract yet so that helped her see it

Unless things changed from a couple years ago, you can set spending limits per person. I did it for my kids on our last trip. I didn't think about handing them gift cards to accomplish pretty much the same thing, though.

My cousin was in WDW for her 35th birthday. I was able to call and put money on her magic band as a birthday gift. I'm assuming since I was able to do that over the phone, you'd have no problem doing that while you are there if you wanted to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter