Can I pay for my breakfast and dinners with a credit card? Not magicband

michael85

Mouseketeer
so I cleared my credit card for my trip...my magic band is linked to my bank debit card...but at the end of each meal, can I physically take out my credit card and pay for the meals like that? Without using my magicband? I'd rather do it like that

You can pay with any form of payment: cash, debit/credit card, magic band, Disney gift card or Travellers Checks.

Do I have to mention beforehand the method of payment?

No. The server will bring your bill, and then you place your fop with the bill. The exception is magic band where I believe the server must get the magic band scanner to scan it, but that still occurs after you get your bill.

They seem to be happier when you give them the cards compared to wanting to use the band. Even with the new readers it's still kind of an awkward process. It's also more convenient when you have any kind of discount, I usually just placed whatever discount card I was using, my id (for discounts), and my credit card all in the check folio thing.

The cards (assuming you have and can enable push notifications) allowed be to better help track my spending as the band room charges all get processed in large "lump" payments I'm sure to $ save credit card processing fees on Disney's side.

How do you think all those people staying off-site pay for their meals?

They seem to be happier when you give them the cards compared to wanting to use the band. Even with the new readers it's still kind of an awkward process. It's also more convenient when you have any kind of discount, I usually just placed whatever discount card I was using, my id (for discounts), and my credit card all in the check folio thing.
They seem to have improved the process. Or maybe it's just me. I tell them before they bring the bill that I have a discount (TiW, AP, or DVC), and that I'm using my band to pay. They take the discount off before they even bring the bill, and then they bring the check and band reader at the same time. Seems to work efficiently for me.

so I cleared my credit card for my trip...my magic band is linked to my bank debit card...but at the end of each meal, can I physically take out my credit card and pay for the meals like that? Without using my magicband? I'd rather do it like that

Assuming you linked the card during online checkin, if you have a room only stay that debit card will be charged the balance on the morning you check in. Making sure you're aware of that.

How do you think all those people staying off-site pay for their meals?

They seem to have improved the process. Or maybe it's just me. I tell them before they bring the bill that I have a discount (TiW, AP, or DVC), and that I'm using my band to pay. They take the discount off before they even bring the bill, and then they bring the check and band reader at the same time. Seems to work efficiently for me.

Just flashing the AP for AP discount seemed to work for me with regards to getting the discount off at the beginning of the meal.

For TiW on our trip a few weeks ago they told me to give it to them at the end of the meal with the check because they needed to call a manager over to approve the discount as they were ringing the check in so i started and about 50% of the time the server checked for ID even though the credit card and TiW card had the same name on them. Also, with the guarantee of an 18% tip I stopped telling them I have TiW until the end of the meal after a bad service experience where I wouldn't have even left 16%.

I also liked not having to do the "band dance" with the server trying to get the scanner to work on their little iPhone scanners.

I don't recall a scenario where AP or TiW wasn't better than DVC so I can't comment my experience with that.

The cards (assuming you have and can enable push notifications) allowed be to better help track my spending as the band room charges all get processed in large "lump" payments I'm sure to $ save credit card processing fees on Disney's side.

The room purchases are itemized on the room checkout receipt. However, some purchased may not be reconciled at the time of checkout, and therefore charged after the receipt has been balanced.

Last edited:
I would suggest connecting your CC to your room, not your DC. The will do a preauthorization every night on your debit, and tie up your cash, and if you do not have enough in that particular account, you will have difficulties at WDW and with your account. Just connect your CC, then you can charge with your band too, without chances of overdrafting your debit account.

As a PP said, Disney will take your money any way you want to give it to them...lol!

You may ABSOLUTELY use a CC to pay for meals. TIW owners for 12 years.... we simply give our kind hosts two cards :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter