Can I go straight from airport?

Lexje06

Earning My Ears
I have a nonstop flight landing in Orlando at 8:00 am. I am only in Disney for 3 days, and won't need to check a bag. Would it make sense to head straight to the park and put my luggage in a locker? I would just take an uber or left straight there when I land. Has anyone done that before? Do you think thats a good idea? If so, what time do you think I could get to AKL from the airport? Is there anything I need first from the hotel to go to the park- like magic band activation? (Also, are all the special magic bands sold out already?!)

Thanks

Yes, you can go straight to the park. The ride should be under 45 minutes. Just make sure your luggage is small enough to fit inside the locker. Prepare to have your personal items thoroughly searched by security.

The lockers are pretty small and all inside the parks. I wouldn't drag my suitcase through security. Spend the extra 20 min or so and stop at the resort. Drop your carry on bag there, then use Ride Share to go to the park if you want, instead of waiting on a bus. You'll save as much time doing that as you'd spend stopping to get the bag searched and renting a locker.

Meh personally I'd go to the resort to drop off my luggage.

You're magic bands are active if they are linked to your MDE.

If the special bands are sold out they will get them back in stock sometime....

Just check your bag on Magic Express, take a uber (or whatever), and go straight to the park while your bags are taken to the hotel. This way you don't need to worry about your luggage.

For 3 days though can you get by with a backpack instead of luggage as you could really then just go to the park with the bag.

We have went straight to a park from the airport but we have had a rental car. I would not even try to bring luggage through security at the park unless it's just a small backpack or duffel bag. I think dropping it off at the resort would be a more reasonable option.

Just check your bag on Magic Express, take a uber (or whatever), and go straight to the park while your bags are taken to the hotel. This way you don't need to worry about your luggage.

They could do this, but that would mean OP would need to check their luggage with the airline as well. Depending on the airline, that may come with a fee which I don't think is worth it for a 3 day trip.

OP, I personally would just Uber to the hotel. Most of the resorts have bell services directly out in front of the hotel or somewhere near the main entrance. You can drop your bags with them without even walking into the resort. If you have a good Uber driver, he or she may even be willing to wait for you while you do this so that they can then drive you to the park. I can't imagine this whole process will add more than 10-15 minutes - and you'd waste that (or more) if you allowed security to go through your luggage at bag check, anyhow.

For 3 days though can you get by with a backpack instead of luggage as you could really then just go to the park with the bag.

I know it might not be as fast but I'd just save myself the money, take MDE to the resort, leave your bag at bell services and hop on a park bus there. Or if you didn't want to wait for MDE, take the car to the resort and do the same thing.

They could do this, but that would mean OP would need to check their luggage with the airline as well. Depending on the airline, that may come with a fee which I don't think is worth it for a 3 day trip.

Time is money. By paying roughly $25 to check their bag, OP would get to maximize their theme park time, which on a short 3 day trip is exceedingly valuable. By not having to go to their hotel first to drop off a bag, they are potentially recovering an hour or more of time they can spend in the parks instead of having to go to their hotel to drop off their bag first. For $25 that seems pretty worth it to me.

The other ideas here have the potential for a lot of pitfalls.
1. Renting a locker still costs money.
2. Lockers may not be available.
3. Depending on the size of the luggage/bag, it may not fit in the locker which means they would be stuck lugging their bag around with no alternatives (doesn't sound like fun to me).
4. A large bag is going to slow the OP down at bag check

I think checking the bag so it can be delivered to the hotel on MDE while the OP takes a car directly to one of the theme parks is the best course of action and will maximize their time in the parks.

they are potentially recovering an hour or more of time they can spend in the parks instead of having to go to their hotel to drop off their bag first.

What's your math on that? I mentioned above that it would take them an extra 15 minutes if they can get an Uber to bring them to their hotel. They can run out, drop their bag at bell services which is steps away from the hotel driveway, and get back in the Uber (if the driver is willing to wait for their second fare). Depending on the resort and the park, maybe add another 5-10 minute additional commute time, but not much more than that.

The OP has to decide if spending a potential $25 checked bag fee, plus running the risk of the airline losing their luggage (always a risk when checking a bag), is worth it to gain a half hour at most. Wouldn't be to me, but that's a personal opinion.

I would drop the bag at my hotel first. OP, do not underestimate the bag check. I don’t know if you have been to WDW lately, but bag check is not a quick X-ray pass thru. The guard will want every zipper, pouch & bag opened. They put their hands right in there & will move & touch your things. If they can’t get to the bottom, they will pull stuff out of the bag. All out in the open with the next guest standing right there, looking on as your clothes get pulled out and giving you the evil eye as you repack & rezip everything back up. Personally, I don’t need a random security guard digging thru my packed bag or strangers looking at my pjs & delicates. Not worth the time saved, IMO.

Edit to add: there is also the restriction on bringing pulled & rolling bags into the park. So depending on what type of carry on you have, they might not even let you bring it into the park anyway. Even if it will fit in a locker, you might not even be allowed in to get to the locker.

Last edited:

I believe this is highly frowned upon and not sure they will let you do this if they find out you are not taking the ME.

I would Uber to the resort and drop the bag off with bellservices and then head to the park.
As noted, I would not want security going through the entire bag, opening every zipper, and they will.
Depending on the size of the bag, you may not be allowed to bring it into the park and it may not fit in a locker.

I believe this is highly frowned upon and not sure they will let you do this if they find out you are not taking the ME.

Doesn't seem to be an issue based on this sticky thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dme-luggage-only-dont-want-to-ride-the-bus.2015788/page-36

Also, taking the bag directly to the park would not be difficult. If it is small enough to fit in the large locker (15.5" x 13" x 17") at AK, then it will not be a big deal for security and may not be that big of a deal if for some reason there is no locker available (not likely); especially if it is a backpack.

Last edited:

They won't know and there is a whole thread on the process with people saying it worked (to the extent that ME luggage works). There is no way for them to know if you are just slow or not and from reports they have no way at baggage handling to know.

Disney would have pretty bad optics if they just decided to not release your bag or throw it back at baggage claim well after a flights bags had been collected.

Frowned upon also depends on who you talk to it seems based on that thread as well.

While not official this response is even on the mom's panel. Which you would think would be taken down if its "that bad". https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...press-start-vacationresort-go-sort-go-363141/

Personally I'd just take the free DME to the hotel, leave the bag with a porter, and then head to the park. ~$30-$40 Uber or Lyft and then a locker rental just for an extra hour at a park?

Everyone's different, but even on a 3-day vacation I can't imagine it being enjoyable to be in "rush" mode to get to a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter