Can DVD start charging for resort sharing?

canda

a Dis board vulture
with the CRV talk and rumors going, I was just wondering. With the thought that owners of CRV would take on monorail upkeep in the dues, I wonder how they would handle other members who stay there but pay dues elsewhere.

Dues are different at each resort. Have been since the second resort was built, LOL.

Even if you own at a resort with the lowest dues, you can stay at the resort with the highest dues (subject to availability) without paying anymore than anyone else who stays there on points. Not sure why DVC would change the system for future resorts.

FWIW, there is no guarantee that any future Disney timeshare resort would belong to DVC.

Best wishes -

Just as other owners who stay at the BWV don't pay for Boardwalk upkeep, I'm sure that other woners wouldn't pay for upkeep at the Contemporary Villas if they get built.

HBC

CarolMN said:
Even if you own at a resort with the lowest dues, you can stay at the resort with the highest dues (subject to availability) without paying anymore than anyone else who stays there on points.
Carol, do you know if any money changes hands, at least on paper, between resorts when members stay at a non-home resort? For example, given the popularity of BCV with non-owners, it probably suffers more wear and tear due to being fully occupied so much of the year. Are BCV owners footing the bill for this or does BCV get some kind of compensation from the resorts whose points have been used for BCV stays?

I've always been curious about this. It seems that where there is an imbalance of people trading in vs. trading out, there should be some compensation paid to those resorts to offset the additional maintenance costs.

All DVC resorts, theoretically should operate at near capacity at all times. That is what makes the point based system work. Largest resorts would fill up last, but should still be nearly at capacity between members and cash reservations. I'm not sure your BCV has any greater percentage of wear and tear than other DVC resorts. I think eveyone pays about the same wear and tear regardless of where they own...it is just that certain fixed costs for larger resorts are spread over a larger group of members, hence the difference in dues. The OP does have a point though, I would assume that the monorail costs at CRV (if built) would increase the transportation costs per member that owns there.

There is also no guarantee that having the ability to trade to other DVC resorts will remain part of DVC, it can be discontinued at anytime, at the discretion of DVC, and they can restrict us to using our points at our home resorts. I wouldn't expect to see them put that into effect, unless a resort is either devasted by a disaster or they use it to control occupancy as we near the end of our ownership contracts.

How do we know that operating costs of the monorail are higher than operating costs for boats and/or buses? (Also, it seems unlikely that the monorail resorts contribute for any loop other than the one that serves the resorts).

I'm not so sure that the dues for the CR would necessarily end up to be more than those for the other attached DVC resorts (WL/VWL, BWI/BWV & BC/YC/BCV).

Best wishes -

Chuck S said:
I'm not sure your BCV has any greater percentage of wear and tear than other DVC resorts. I think eveyone pays about the same wear and tear regardless of where they own...it is just that certain fixed costs for larger resorts are spread over a larger group of members, hence the difference in dues.
Thanks, Chuck. I don't own at BCV but I've seen several posts about the wear and tear where some owners have wondered how much BCV's popularity contributes to that, so I was just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter