Can DDE card be used with the DDP?

Maggi May

DIS Veteran
We have the DDE discount card and are thinking about trying the DDP on our next trip. Has anyone used their DDE card while on the DDP? (For example, buying drinks or food items not on the plan). Is it a complicated transaction, or will the restaurant just apply the 20% to the items on the check not covered by the DDP?

People have (not me, because I don’t have the DDE, but I read a lot ;))
It’s not complicated. You’ll get two separate checks – one with your DDP purchases and one for whatever you’re paying out of pocket for (standard procedure, with or without the DDE). Note that an 18% gratuity will be automatically added to the OOP/DDE check.
To simplify the transactions, just tell your server up front how you plan to pay.

I've done this several times with no problem. In fact I just got back from WDW May 13th and used the DDP for my meal at Spoodles, while using my DDE for the Sangria. Like the previous poster said however, they will automatically add an 18% tip to anything you order in addition to the DDP.

The only time I've ever had a problem doing it was at San Angel Inn Sept '05. I don't like San Angel Inn, but my D-I-L wanted to eat there. I didn't want to waste a TS credit, so decided to let my son and D-I-L use their DDP, while I used my DDE card to order just a drink and cheese fundido for my meal. They refused to let me use my DDE telling me we all had to use the DDP. We even had the waiter call the manager over, but they still wouldn't let me order separate. She said they would only accept one discount/table and both the DDE and the DDP were considered discounts. However, that same trip I used it other places to order drinks or even a separate meal and never had a problem.

We used both DDP and DDE while on our Jan/Feb trip. Sometimes it just didn't make sense to use our adult Table Service meals from DDP, so I'd pay for those and use the DDE card and then put my 5 yo daughter's meal on the DDP. I never had any problem at all and the wait staff understood perfectly. We used DDP/DDE at:

Park Fare
Le Cellier (paid for DD's meal OOP and DDP'd the adult meals)
Liberty Tree Tavern

We used both at every TS meal last Feb. My ds just turned 10 so had to be an adult on the ddp, and he eats like a bird. So, we paid OOP for him at every meal using the DDE card, and also almost always ordered a drink for us too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter