Can 2 different credit cards be on one room?

Deanie1

DIS Veteran
My sister and I are heading to WDW next month. I am paying for the room but we will each be paying for our share of the food and souvenirs. I am just trying to do the logistics of this. I don’t really want everything on my credit card as it is right before Xmas and I don’t want a big Visa bill at that time. Can we each use our own credit card? We live in Canada but different cities. How do others work this out?

They say they can but the result can be hit or miss. I would set it all up, go directly to the gift shop to get everyone to buy something small, and go back to guest services to verify if it worked. On our last trip, we set up our nephew’s card for his expenses. They took down his CC info, set up his pin, etc. All his charges ended up on our card anyway.

My daughter and I linked our own credit cards to our magic bands at the front desk and paid for everything using our bands. It worked great.

They say they can but the result can be hit or miss. I would set it all up, go directly to the gift shop to get everyone to buy something small, and go back to guest services to verify if it worked. On our last trip, we set up our nephew’s card for his expenses. They took down his CC info, set up his pin, etc. All his charges ended up on our card anyway.
This is a good plan of action. Twice we have had the CC get messed up, I ended up getting a charge for the total on both cards. They had to use a high tech system of highlighters and calculators to separate the charges, total my refund, and re-charge the amount to the other CC on the room. We even told them about the previous problems at check-in and they assured us they had set it up and it "should be working fine this time." We trusted it, foolishly, and had to go through the whole mess again at check-out. Ideally, there would be no problems and we wouldn't even need to stop at the front desk when we leave, but we've been too nervous to do that; and with good reason.

I was wondering this exact same thing today so I'm glad it was asked and answered! We are going with my sister-in-law and her daughter, but paying for her daughter (our niece) to go. Her mom is paying for everything once we get there because everything else is paid for.

I cannot speak to splitting the charges per card per room but be warned that your card is billed each night based on length of stay and charge amounts. I was told this at during our recent stay at POR by Front Desk. It used to be that you could sure up your bill at check out, not anymore so just a heads up, each night they will run your card so if it's wrong, it will be a mess.

We tried to split our room between two cards at Yacht Club in May of 2016. It really didn’t work correctly. We ended up just reconstructing who charged what the best we could and settling it up amongst ourselves. I understand this is hit or miss though and others have had success.

Why not just carry your credit cards with you and pay as you go using them? Seems a much easier solution than what you're attempting to do...and it's foolproof.

Why not just carry your credit cards with you and pay as you go using them? Seems a much easier solution than what you're attempting to do...and it's foolproof.
It’s just nice to be in the park and not have to worry about losing a credit card. The magic bands are so much easier to scan and go. I love not having to carry my purse around.

It’s just nice to be in the park and not have to worry about losing a credit card. The magic bands are so much easier to scan and go. I love not having to carry my purse around.

You should never be without an alternative payment method at Disney. There have been many threads here about the MB system going down, and panic ensuing due to not having a backup form of payment.

You should never be without an alternative payment method at Disney. There have been many threads here about the MB system going down, and panic ensuing due to not having a backup form of payment.
I have pretty much everything paid for before hand so there wouldn’t be much left for me to pay for.

I have done this with a friend several times. It can be done, but you really should do it immediately at check in. That means it's not in your best interest to do online check in. It is also a good idea to check back at the desk at the end of the day and have your statement for that day printed out to make sure the charges are actually being split up. It's kind of complicated I think.

I have pretty much everything paid for before hand so there wouldn’t be much left for me to pay for.

Yeah, I get that. But, what happens when you go to pay at a restaurant, and the MB system is down (has happened several times before), and you have no other method of payment? Reports from people who have had this happen to them are not pleasant. Sure, it eventually gets handled, but you lose park time while it's getting sorted out...30 minutes to upwards of an hour from recent reports. Having everything prepaid doesn't matter in these situations.

What do you do about ID...or insurance cards...etc? I don't carry a wallet in the parks, but I do carry one cc, my driver's license, and my insurance card in my pocket. None of those take up as much space in a pocket as a cell phone...which everyone carries to the parks.

Yeah, I get that. But, what happens when you go to pay at a restaurant, and the MB system is down (has happened several times before), and you have no other method of payment? Reports from people who have had this happen to them are not pleasant. Sure, it eventually gets handled, but you lose park time while it's getting sorted out...30 minutes to upwards of an hour from recent reports. Having everything prepaid doesn't matter in these situations.

What do you do about ID...or insurance cards...etc? I don't carry a wallet in the parks, but I do carry one cc, my driver's license, and my insurance card in my pocket. None of those take up as much space in a pocket as a cell phone...which everyone carries to the parks.
We use the dining plan

We use the dining plan

Yes...realize that. Your dining credits are accessed with your magic band through Disney's internal IT system. When the magic band portion of Disney's IT system goes down (and it does from time to time), you can no longer pay for your meal using your magic band. You have two choices at that point...

(1) Use an alternative form of payment (credit card or gift card) instantly, then straighten it out at the resort at your leisure, or
(2) Wait until however long it takes to manually get it taken care of. Recent reports are in the 30 minutes to an hour range.

It happened a year and a half ago when we were at Rainforest Cafe at AK. There were some very angry people in there due to the fact that they didn't have an alternative method to pay, only magic bands.

Yes...realize that. Your dining credits are accessed with your magic band through Disney's internal IT system. When the magic band portion of Disney's IT system goes down (and it does from time to time), you can no longer pay for your meal using your magic band. You have two choices at that point...

(1) Use an alternative form of payment (credit card or gift card) instantly, then straighten it out at the resort at your leisure, or
(2) Wait until however long it takes to manually get it taken care of. Recent reports are in the 30 minutes to an hour range.

It happened a year and a half ago when we were at Rainforest Cafe at AK. There were some very angry people in there due to the fact that they didn't have an alternative method to pay, only magic bands.
Oh okay. I didn’t realize that could happen. I would be really mad.

We have done this dozens of times without issue but even when we aren't splitting we always charge a little something at the resort before we hit the parks to be sure everyone has the correct privileges. Snacks, water whatever is charged to be sure they are working, then we can check that if/when we have more than one card on file the correct card is charged. You can get a printout with exactly whos band was used to charge what and go from there.

I go agree however that an alternate card and some cash on hand is a great suggestion - you never know when you will need cash and or if the system goes down and you need a cc'd instead.

I for one think Disney needs an alternate way to take dining credit's then. Because excuse me. Some of us Paid purposely for the dining plan because HELLO I won't just have an extra 100 for a meal when I planned it to be paid on the plan that I already paid for.. sorry this in my eyes is a stupid mistake and issue that Disney needs to get fixed asap. I have folders with the cash I am using, those are my tips. I also have money set aside for the 1 or 2 meals we are doing without the dining plan. But that is not for food I should have already had paid for from the dining plan. It is extremely irresponsible on Disney's side to not have this fixed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter