camping instead of a hotel on the way to Florida

yazee1

<font color=teal>It sounds like we broke the ship!
Since our travel dates preclude getting the kids-ride-free rate on the Autotrain and flying (for us) costs as much as the train, we're doing the most economical thing by driving to Florida for our cruise in October. Like probably 95% of the people who drive from MD/PA/NJ, we usually get a hotel in the Carolinas or Georgia. This year, dh has decided instead of booking hotels, we'll book a campsite and pitch our tents instead. I'm confident that with three Boy Scouts (dh being a Scout and the local troop leader), we should be fine doing this. It seems like a good idea. After all, we have the gear and the campsite (since you have to book a 2 night stay even if you're only there one night) is 20.00. Has anyone else pitched a tent instead of staying in a hotel during the drive to or from Florida? Is it really as cheap as it sounds?

We did it on a trip to Texas. Cheap, yes. Comfortable--not really. Some sites charge an additional amount for a shower.

How's this for an alternative--get a 2.5* room on Priceline or Hotwire. Depending on the city and hotel availability, this typically costs us $31-40 bid + $10 taxes and fees. At the 2.5* level, many hotels include complimentary breakfast. If you use Hotwire, you'll know in advance whether breakfast is included.
OK, for $20, you get a piece of ground, bring all your own stuff, pay for breakfast and may pay for showers. For $40, I get breakfast and all the hot water and towels I want...plus, I don't have to haul a tent or sleeping bags.

Since Oct. is in hurricane season I don't think I would chance having to pitch a tent in the rain or pack up and store a wet tent. My advise it to either get a hotel room or drive straight thru. We used to get a room driving from DE to WDW and found we wasted too much time so now we just take turns driving and sleeping.
Just drove home Sat. night with DD, my nephew and my brother; we pulled into a Cracker Barrel parking lot somewhere in GA and slept for a couple of hours before continuing on. There were about 15-20 campers and cars in the parking lot at 1:45am doing the same thing.
We will be driving back down next month and again in June; again straight thru up and back each time.

Did you check out FT. Wilderness? The most wonderful campground in the world at WDW. They have an area for tent campers.

Also there is a place in Kissimmie (I spelled this wrong) called

Tropical Palms or Tropical Pines right next to Old Town.

From a family of campers (from RV's and trailers) but never gone the tent route. Have a great trip.:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter