Calling in

Fewski

Earning My Ears
Got a big event I would like to be at Saturday, but got a shift that day. I really don't want to call in, but don't see another way around it. I've heard I get 1 point on my record if I call in sick? How many points until I get terminated and how soon do the points go away?

Would it be better to use the excuse that I'm sick or that my car broke down? I feel bad about it and tried switching shifts, but couldn't get that to work. I'm not a CP if that matters.
Thanks

You can call sick or call personal. (FYI - Personal is only an option for NON CPs, so any CPs reading this - it does not apply).

When you call personal you get a point. But, this essentially says something else came up and Disney will understand. I recommend calling at least two hours before your shift to be kind to your area so they can deploy or replace you.

Or you can call sick. If you are FT, you recieve a limited number of "Free Sick" days. Meaning that you would not get a point, but a notation will still be on your record card. However, if you post anything on FB, or mention anything to people at work (which is sounds like you have), you can be disciplined for using a free sick day on a day you are not acutally sick.

Additionally, points are on your record card forever! They can count against you for up to a year (at least the longest I've heard of), but in most cases it's just six months. Points are reviewed if you are applying to transfer, looking for a promotion (trainer/coordinator), or looking for cross-U opportunities. Each of those roles would have different requirements on how far back they will look.

If you accrue points too quickly (3 in 30 days) then that can lead to reprimands. But one point is not really not going to affect you.

I don't recommend calling in sick, especially since you posted on an internet forum that you were trying to get away with it. Try asking your co-workers to cover all or part of your shift, or try to get an ER.

Additionally, just talk to your supervisor. They may know someone who needs hours or maybe they'll just be nice and let you take the day off!

Got a big event I would like to be at Saturday, but got a shift that day. I really don't want to call in, but don't see another way around it. I've heard I get 1 point on my record if I call in sick? How many points until I get terminated and how soon do the points go away?

Would it be better to use the excuse that I'm sick or that my car broke down? I feel bad about it and tried switching shifts, but couldn't get that to work. I'm not a CP if that matters.
Thanks

Is this event worth jeopardizing your job over?

You'll be fine calling in personal. Don't try to lie about being sick especially since you've already talked about trying to get off like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter