Calling all Golf Experts.....Advice needed!!

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
Hi everyone,

I really need some help!! DH and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in a few weeks. Since he recently got promoted at work he could use a nice set of golf clubs. He has one set but I think it's time to upgrade. I know he would feel guilty about doing this on his own. That's why I think it would be a great surprize and the perfect gift.

The problem?????? I know NOTHING about golf clubs or where to look to find them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

My advice is to get him a gift card for a golf store, or a sporting goods store in your area. You can not pick out a set for him. Not that you couldn't try or anything, but clubs are personal. He needs to "try them on for size" so to speak. If you get him a gift card than the money has already been spent, so he can't "make you take it back" if he feels guilty over this little splurge. Another idea is to schedule him an appointment with a professional club maker to outfit him with a custom made set.

Selecting golf clubs is a VERY personal decision. Although it would be neat to surprise him, in this case he really should be involved in the decision. Perhaps you can get him a gift certificate that he can use for a new set.
Good luck.

Yes, I have to agree. Golf clubs are like, well, underwear, I guess! I don't think I'd like someone else picking those out for me! lol

I would get a gift certificate to a local Driving Range or if you have a sporting goods store like Dick's or Galyan's in your area, I would get a GC there.

Good luck!

You could buy him a set of clubs at a golf store with the understanding that he will probably want to return them and choose his own. It's kinda more fun to be presented with a set of clubs instead of a gift certificate. You could just get him a new putter. A Scotty Cameron putter will run you a couple of hundred bucks (that's what Tiger uses).

I have to agree with the other posters. I'm an avid golfer and I wouldn't want my DH to pick out clubs for me.

A few years ago around my birthday time, I needed some new woods and mentioned I might like some Taylor Made. My DH cut a picture out of a magazine of some Taylor Made clubs, put it in a box, wrapped it up beautifully and added a note that said "Go for it !!!". It was wonderful. I couldn't get down to the pro shop fast enough.

Golf clubs are like, well, underwear, I guess!

Underwear? I thought that you used golf clubs to hit balls not hold them:D :D :D :D :D

I agree, the gift certificate would be the best way to go. Maybe you could get him a cheep plastic toy set of clubs and put the gift certificate in with those clubs

Thanks for the advice. I will get him a gift certificate but could you help me with brand names? I don't want to get him a gift certificate to a place that doesn't sell what he would want. f

Figmentvi mentioned Taylor Made - are there any other good brands that you could recommend? Cutting out a picture and putting it in box to wrap with the gift certificate is an excellant idea. Now I just need to find a brand of clubs and a store!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Along with Taylor Made, there is Ping, Callaway, Wilson, and many other very popular brands.

You're right. Some stores may carry some, but not all brands. What if the store you choose does not have what your DH wants? figmentvi had a great idea. Why don't you just get a golf magazine, cut out a picture of a set of clubs and put that in a box with a mushy note. That way, it's guaranteed he'll be happy with his new clubs.

captain fink, LOL!!!

Well, I have Ladies Lynx and my dh has Lynx. I'm not that avid a golfer so I'm not sure if they are nice ones or not. (In other words, they don't make ME hit the ball any better or worse! lol)

I do know that my dh is constantly buying new drivers to try out!! Big Bertha is the name of one of them.

Don't forget Mizuno, Ben Hogan, and Titleist. Ooops wouldn't want to forget the NEWEST contender, NIKE. I know that a few golf courses offer custom club fittings for about $100, and if you purchase a set from them, they take it off the total price. I think it is great that you are doing this!! I like the idea of a golf magazine too.

If you want some specific info (like price ranges) you can email or pm me. I used to be a buyer in a golf shop.

I purchased quite a bit of golf paraphenalia from Golfsmith, both online and in one of their superstores. They have a huge selection of clubs, supplies. Since you are in the Chicago area, they have three of their superstores in Chicago. Check them out here. They are very knowledgeable and carry most of the name brands.

Thank you everyone. You have given me alot of ideas. I'll check out GolfSmith Indyman!!! So far I have Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway, Wilson, Mizuno, Ben Hogan, Titleist & Nike. Do any of you have a preference of any of these brands or is there a brand that you dislike?

Well I really like my Taylor Made clubs, but that's me. I do have a Ping sand wedge that I'm in love with also.

Pings and Callaways are both excellent lines of clubs, but they're VERY expensive.

If money were no object, I'd have a custom set of Pings. A TiSI Driver alone is about $379.00 :earseek::earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter