Call-out question - current CM

olivia0231

Earning My Ears
Hi, I know this question isn't entirely related to the DCP, but I'm a former CP participant and I'm still learning all the differences between being a CP and a part-time CM so...
I'm currently a part time cast member and was just wondering if anyone knows if we are allowed to call-out and then go into the park? I know it's not a good thing to do, especially to my coworkers, and I'm going to do my best to avoid it, but my parents are coming to visit and I wasn't able to get any of the days off that they're going to be here for. We were trying to be safe and waiting to be vaccinated to travel, so I haven't seen them since January 2020. I'm trying my best to trade/give away my shifts but it's not looking good. Everyone I've asked to cover/trade has either not been able to or have straight up ignored my messages.
Anyway, I was just wondering if I could just call-out one day and then be with them in the parks? I know when I was in the DCP you would get fired, but I thought a saw something that full/part-time CMs could call-in personal then go into the parks and be fine. Again, I will try my best not to do this, but I'm desperate at this point.

Honestly, if I knew you were in the park, I'd fire you. If I were your coworker and I found out, I'd feel let down. Grown ups often have to make crappy choices. Yes, it can suck sometimes. Can your parents delay their trip? I can't imagine they want you fired. Perhaps go somewhere other than rubbing it into people's faces, like universal, or just stay in and do dinner?

My advice is be responsible. I really do suspect calling out as revenge for not getting the day off, which is how it very well looks to others, isn't the thing to do.

Yes, it’s terminable and it happens. And it’s so much easier to track now - magic bands, if you use your discount, etc. Try going before or after your shift, I’m sure your parents would not want you to put your job in jeopardy.

Last edited:
If you’re working part time maybe at least find some hours on a couple days to spend with your folks?

After already requesting shift trades it’d be very suspect calling in on one of those days. Of course it would’ve been nice to spend a whole day with them but you might still make it work. Meet up with your parents the hours you’re off. Ropedrop an early park with them or do an evening at a late closing park. 🥲 It’s been a rough year or so, that stinks not seeing them for so long. But hopefully you can still find time with them without potentially messing up your employment relations. 😊 Goodluck. Maybe someone will end up switching and that would be perfect!

Thanks everyone for the responses/advice. I will say I was definitely pretty emotional when I wrote/thought about this idea. I was upset I didn't get the days off I wanted, upset I spent almost a week stressing out about this with no success, upset my parents chose the three days a week I work to come visit, upset I can't spend as much time with them as I'd like, and I just haven't been loving my current location either. So, now that I'm no longer laying in bed at midnight contemplating my life decisions, I know I will definitely not be calling out to go in the parks.
Also, I honestly just didn't know if this was something people did. I know people that call out all the time for not "legit" reasons, which is fine with me. A personal day is a personal day and you have a life outside of work, I get it. Yeah we might be busier for a day, but it makes the day go by faster and has absolutely no effect on my life once I clock out. I just didn't know if calling out and then going to the parks was one of those extra rules they had for the DCP, like not being able to give away shifts.
So thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the responses/advice. I will say I was definitely pretty emotional when I wrote/thought about this idea. I was upset I didn't get the days off I wanted, upset I spent almost a week stressing out about this with no success, upset my parents chose the three days a week I work to come visit, upset I can't spend as much time with them as I'd like, and I just haven't been loving my current location either. So, now that I'm no longer laying in bed at midnight contemplating my life decisions, I know I will definitely not be calling out to go in the parks.
Also, I honestly just didn't know if this was something people did. I know people that call out all the time for not "legit" reasons, which is fine with me. A personal day is a personal day and you have a life outside of work, I get it. Yeah we might be busier for a day, but it makes the day go by faster and has absolutely no effect on my life once I clock out. I just didn't know if calling out and then going to the parks was one of those extra rules they had for the DCP, like not being able to give away shifts.
So thanks again!
Hopefully you can give away your shifts! Make sure you talk to your managers and explain your situation, too. They might be able to give you an ER. Fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!