California Thanksgiving Day Guidelines

mmouse37

DCL Diva!!
Crazy or smart?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...rqV25yS03rQSwAE9qdTdyp3TVVaME&ocid=uxbndlbing
I may understand the need but putting into practice seems somewhat unattainable.

- Only 3 households (including the hosts). That means I couldn't have all three of my kids' families over
- Must be held outdoors
- No longer than 2 hours
- No one allowed in house except for using the bathroom and it must be sanitized frequently

Many more restrictions but those are some that would never work for us.....

MJ

Crazy or smart?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...rqV25yS03rQSwAE9qdTdyp3TVVaME&ocid=uxbndlbing
I may understand the need but putting into practice seems somewhat unattainable.

- Only 3 households (including the hosts). That means I couldn't have all three of my kids' families over
- Must be held outdoors
- No longer than 2 hours
- No one allowed in house except for using the bathroom and it must be sanitized frequently

MJ

My two sisters who have teens/young adult kids who won't quarantine and go out a lot just aren't coming.

The two of us who live here, my brother, other sister and my parents (within the 6 person personal bubble limit here) are going to quarantine for two weeks up to Thanksgiving (outside of wearing masks if needing to go to store) and have it at my place. Inside. For longer than 2 hours. I think in Illinois you can have gatherings of under 10. And my brother said he would get tested just in case (easy to get tested in Illinois). I'm not asking people to do that, I just think he wants to!

I already told my other 2 sisters and their families they can't change their mind now because I'm happy we don't have to bring out the huge folding table! :D

Last edited:

Crazy or smart?

- Must be held outdoors
- No longer than 2 hours

MJ
My thing is the two hours thing. Like I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't like to feel rushed when eating. I feel like that part is the most unattainable.

I think you can do it safely with small groups.

This may very well be my mom's last Thanksgiving, if not body but mind and we are spending it with her. We've already lost too much time with her this year.

It’s everyone’s choice to make, but still smarter to not get together.

I’m saying this because my dad and step mom found out they had COVID right before heading out to my sister’s house for Thanksgiving dinner earlier this month.

Personally Thanksgiving isn't a big deal, the kids and I will get together with my mom and that's it. I know a lot of families around here won't be following his guidelines, and no one will be enforcing it anyway. To be honest if I had a big gathering to go to I wouldn't follow the guidelines, either.

Last edited:
While I don’t agree with a lot of his rules, I actually think this one is smart. Our weather, for most of the state, is still warm enough for outdoors. And we all know indoor gatherings of multiple households is how it most easily spreads.

Not that people will listen anyway, but this actually a lot more generous than I thought the state would present.

ETA: California is doing well, relatively and I really don’t want to see it ruined. We continue to be under some of the most stringent guidelines (especially if you’re still in purple like me 😭) - I don’t want it to be for nothing.

It's a smart practice, but crazy that people have to be told the right thing to do, crazy that anyone thinks it's enforceable, crazy to think people will do the right thing anyway, crazy to think it matters at this point since the spread is uncontained.

Thanksgiving is cancelled at my parents and my MILs this year. We will celebrate with just the four of us and maybe a zoom or web-ex call.

We have healthcare workers, police officers, hair stylists, plant managers and school aged people in our family. It's too risky to get together, especially with the number of cases rising in PA. Plus, there is no outdoor option for us in late November.

My family got together at my brother's house in June. Case levels were down and we stayed outside except for bathroom breaks. That felt safe. Thanksgiving doesn't.

Nope-the government does not get to tell me how I celebrate a holiday in my own home, not happening. Those guidelines are crazy, 2hours limit, how do you enforce that?
Disclaimer-I won't be having anyone over for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. It will just be me, my husband and my younger son who still lives at home. But it would've likely been that anyway. I don't take kindly to being told what to do, because it's for my own good.

Nope-the government does not get to tell me how I celebrate a holiday in my own home, not happening. Those guidelines are crazy, 2hours limit, how do you enforce that?
Disclaimer-I won't be having anyone over for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. It will just be me, my husband and my younger son who still lives at home. But it would've likely been that anyway. I don't take kindly to being told what to do, because it's for my own good.

What is California going to do to enforce that....go door to door that day? Here's my opinion; I feel we all have gone through this for over 7 months; I'm sure the ones hosting Thanksgiving dinner or going to a hosted dinner know what they need to do to be safe. I would hope so anyway. I just feel like the government doesn't need to tell us what to do anymore except keep putting data out there so we can make intelligent decisions on our own. My opinion.

What is California going to do to enforce that....go door to door that day? Here's my opinion; I feel we all have gone through this for over 7 months; I'm sure the ones hosting Thanksgiving dinner or going to a hosted dinner know what they need to do to be safe. I would hope so anyway. I just feel like the government doesn't need to tell us what to do anymore except keep putting data out there so we can make intelligent decisions on our own. My opinion.
Thank you, Kitty- Exactly this! You explained my thoughts much more eloquently.

Life is a vapor and can be gone in an instant. Of course we should be cautious regarding COVID, but any one of us can drop dead at any moment. The government is not going to tell me how to celebrate a holiday with my family on my own property.

My son (firefighter/paramed) and his family (wife is an ER nurse), about 45 minutes away, have hosted Thanksgiving for my daughter (about 5 minutes away) and her kids and my wife and I for about 5 years now. This year, the three family units will all be celebrating at their/our own homes.

Since March, I have seen him and his family 2 times, in his driveway, and my daughter and her kids about 6 times since march, in our driveway.

If people did what they were supposed to do, the governors, mayors, etc., would not have to put out onerous guidelines. Here in Illinois, almost all of the state is going back to no inside restaurant dining and no inside bars starting tomorrow, right as we are staring at winter time. Two months ago, Illinois was a 'model' state with people doing the right things. About 'only' 400 new cases a day. Now, 4,000 a day with over 6,000 one day last week. If people would only listen and do the right things. :sad2:

Also, the greater majority of new cases are stemming from family/friends gatherings.

Unless it changes, we are still following the guidelines here.
6 people or less.
We are all going to quarantine before the day (all of us work from home and none of us have been going to bars/parties anyways - getting older does have some advantages apparently ;) ) and those who won't quarantine or with higher risk behaviors aren't coming.
Everyone will have their required masks.
I'm the only one cooking/serving and since there's only 6, plenty of room to social distance.

Stay safe everyone! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!