California Grill concept art

I like it. Not in love with the wood chairs. But the overall design is pleasing. The old color splash was very 1990 Spago. The new concept is much more in line with high end Californian restaurants of today. I like what they did at Fifth Floor, so I'm willing to see how this plays out.

I think it looks great so far, but I have to see it first hand to really get a good judgement. As long as they don't change anything else but just the decor, I'll be happy. My family loves California Grill and we would be so disappointed if they got rid of some of our favorite dishes during this refurb.

Aesthetically, I like it. My only qualm is with all the long benches that stretch along tables on the edges of the restaurant. I feel those make for tables that lack intimacy and privacy. I hope that in the final design there's still a lounge that offers seating where you don't feel like you're in a fishbowl.

I think it looks great so far, but I have to see it first hand to really get a good judgement. As long as they don't change anything else but just the decor, I'll be happy. My family loves California Grill and we would be so disappointed if they got rid of some of our favorite dishes during this refurb.

Well, since Chef Yoshie isn't coming back, I don't have a lot of hope that the sushi menu will stay the same, and that's a loss. I'm sure the other menus will change somewhat too, but as long as the cuisine itself is still similar I'll likely be happy.

Those common dinner benches were all the rage beginning about 6-8 years ago. I thought by now restauranteurs would have realized that diners pretty much hate them. It feels like you're dining with the people on both sides of you and having dinner conversation is awkward.

Well, since Chef Yoshie isn't coming back, I don't have a lot of hope that the sushi menu will stay the same, and that's a loss. I'm sure the other menus will change somewhat too, but as long as the cuisine itself is still similar I'll likely be happy.

Oh say it ain't so!!!!!!!! I love Chef Yoshie, you are right....it will definitely be a loss. Too sad :sad2:

Those common dinner benches were all the rage beginning about 6-8 years ago. I thought by now restauranteurs would have realized that diners pretty much hate them. It feels like you're dining with the people on both sides of you and having dinner conversation is awkward.

I suspect that's a cost-benefit thing... Think about Le Cellier. Guests often complain about the closeness of tables but every table is still full. Why not take the same approach to another very popular restaurant? I hate that style of seating too, but I'm not at all surprised to see it coming to California Grill. When a restaurant is booked solid as often as that place was it is only natural to try to pack in more tables.

Nothing about the concept art really wows me, but there's probably some pessimism there because Chef Yoshie was the main reason we loved California Grill and I can't imagine we'll enjoy it nearly as much in its new incarnation.

I like how it says "Restaurant (Confidential)", yet you can see Space Mountain and the castle in the windows :rotfl:

parkhopping said:
I like how it says "Restaurant (Confidential)", yet you can see Space Mountain and the castle in the windows :rotfl:

Ya, that's confidential alright. LMAO!!!! pretty funny.

I think the new design is nice. But I was hoping for something more. I guess i will have to see it in person to judge.

I have to agree with the OP, I am not overly "wowed" with the look based on the photos; it looks just ok to me. I wonder what Robert Irvine and 10K could do to this place. :rotfl2:

(With that said, I will still be certain to make an ADR for my Nov/Dec trip). ;)

I also have problems with those long benches. They just don't seem right for a signature restaurant. With that configuration you really don't feel like you have your own table and other diners have to squeeze past your table to get in and out. Real pleasant when you are eating your dinner. Just what I want, someone's derrière about 1 inch from my food.

I'm also not a fan of the colors though will wait to see about that one. My first reaction is that they aren't rich enough for one of Disney's leading restaurants.

Restaurants love the row of two tops because they can become tables for four (or six) very easily. Often times (and this was the case with the CG before), two tops are spread around the perimeter or interior of the restaurant and are hard to reconfigure. To convert to a four top, (if there is even room), you have to move both tables and chairs. When the tables are in a row, you slide one table over 20 inches and move one chair. Boom! Two twos become a four. And you know there will be room. Yes, diners don't favor this setup. But people aren't going to walk out of the restaurant if seated there. Also, this area is more likely to be a kid-free zone since the set-up is a series of two tops. Can't put a family of seven in there.

Why do I have the feeling that if they can screw up what was a good thing--they will???

I think the concept art looks wonderful. Subdued colors, modern lines, and wonderful textures. Beautiful.

Just like most things at Disney this would never work in a large urban setting.. Boring design, lack of innovation... just a basic soft update. I too hate the long banquets, very 90's and Darden restaurant like.

More worried about the food but agree even the menu needed a bit of an update.

Very monotoned and subdued. Boring. Don't like the two-tops spaced together like that, but it's nothing new in high-end dining. It's overall the opposite of excitement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts