California Dreamin'-A 14 Day Odyssey to San Fran,Yosemite & DL! 8/2013 COMPLETE!1/9!!

It was back to the VGC to pack up after our longest vacay to date. When we walked into the villa, the WOC was happening-

I did go outside to watch some-

But truth be told, I SHOULD have watched it the other night inside the park. NEXT time it is HAPPENING!

Time for the final day.....

We had one last ADR, breakfast at Storytellers. Well, i booked it for 4, but I can tell you the east coasters vacationing in Cali time change advantage had looooonnnngggg worn off, and the teenagers in our family were not getting up for any stories, even with whipped cream on top, for anyone. So my Honey and I went over....

Have you been to Storytellers? I have to say, it is, to me, the most beautiful of all Disney restaurants. The carvings in all the wood....the quotes that brought tears to my eyes...positively breathtaking, every inch so well thought out.

Just beautiful, especially for a Disney Goober such as myself.

For breakfast there is an choice of al a carte or the breakfast buffet.

Now, while there are about 5 things on the a la carte menu I would gladly have eaten, I was in a "I'll have a little of this and a little of that" kind of mood, and that screamed buffet. Oh. And I really wanted Mickey Waffles. On my last day. A few pics around the room-

I went up to said buffet, and hmmm...no waffles out. Oh- and the egg guy was on break. As were the characters. Did I mention this was a character breakfast? Have you heard that rumor too? My plate-

Ah! Here's one strolling by...

Did ya see him? Cuz that was it for this Character Breakfast's characters.

Pods was having a Classic Denver Omelet - Three Jumbo eggs with Bell peppers onion,Ham, Chives and jack cheese. includes country potatoes, juice and toast - $17.49

It was HUGE! I decided to go back up and have a look at the buffet- with my camera this time-

Have I put you to sleep yet? I think the story at Storytellers this morning was Once upon a time, some Imagineers got together and designed a beautiful restaurant that paid homage to the the greatest storytellers in the land. They worked their brains to the bone creating the finest place they could dream up, and added a creative a la carte menu to boot.

And then....they died from exhaustion.

The dishwasher, as the only employee left, took matters into his own hands and created a buffet to finish up the job.

TA DAA!!!:rotfl: The egg guy was kind of back, but I wasn't in the mood- I wanted some waffles!

It occured to me that maybe I had read somewhere along the way that you needed to ask your server for Mickey waffles if that's what you wanted. So, I returned to my place, and waited for my server. Or a character visit. Or a waiter. Or a character visit. Or, heck, even the cereal toting dishwasher would have worked! Somebody! But....no one came. Well, eventually someone did- with a check. SO...hope you have better luck if YOU go- and you really should. Just don't be in the mood for "a little of this and a little of that." And if you want a waffle- go in the back and ask the dishwasher to do you a solid. :thumbsup2

Back through the beautiful lobby and back to the villa-

The inlay work is spectacular-

We finished getting packed up, had Bell Services come to get our bags, and left the villa- hopefully, one day, to return. We still had some time, so we would be having a day at the pool before the airport. And me? I would be walking over to DTD for a little souvie shopping.

Then back through the gate-

To enjoy the rest of our time.

After a bit, we were hungry, so Timmy and I did the BEST thing you can do when you stay in DL that you can't do when you stay at WDW. Well, you CAN now...but only from 1 resort, and then really only if you are staying in certain sections of that resort. ANYWAY- we decided to walk over to EOS and bring back lunch for us all to share.

BRILLIANT!

No huge line, no huge bus ride. ALLL GOOOOOD!

Timmy and I chose a variety, to share. Of course, as expected, all were yummy-licious! Holiday Turkey-

Rueben Pastrami-

Cannonballs-

Avocado BLT-

And they have the BEST coleslaw- yummmm again-

I missed having the Original, but these were all nice too. Soon after, it was time to hit it. First to the lobby-

Got our luggage and waited for the car to be brought- while I took some last minute pics-

And with that....we hopped in the car, pulled away, and headed for LAX.

Once there, we had some time to kill, and decided to make use of the United Club passes that were burning a hole in our pockets.

Until it was time for the long flight home....

Thanks for all your patience- better late than never, huh? :bitelip: Until next time.....

Ellen

Two weeks vacation is too much for us too. We learned that this past August. Next time, back to the tried and true 10 days and that's that.

Everything about Club 33 looks positively drool worthy. I am beyond envious!

Enjoy the yacht tonight...should be a gorgeous evening. It's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow too and I'm trying to convince the family to indulge me in a trip to Martha Clara vineyard. It's halfway to St. Patrick's Day there, and a Celtic band is playing which is described as being for the "Celticly insane". Well, that's me!

10 days is the way to go. For us too, I mean. Well, for them in the us, not for me in the us. Club 33 was very drool worthy- it was like an out of body experience. I feel so blessed to have gone. Did you make it to the Vineyard? The Sandals yacht was REALLY nice- and it was a gorgeous night, cruising the Manhattan Skyline!

Holy mega updates lady! :thumbsup2 Love the Club 33 pics and experience. Yay for molecular gastronomy, good friends, and meeting Mickey and Pluto. :cloud9:

Sorry your crew hit their wall. I don't have a vacation wall either. ;) I can rest at home.

Sleep when ur dead! :rotfl:

Ellen!!!! So nice to see you! :laughing:

I hope you still feel that way!

Could not agree with you more about Goofy’s Sky School! GAH!!!! Willow thinks it’s awesome….

Of course she does!! Just wait til she's all old and banged up- we'll see how she feels about it then!

Matterhorn - yep, you got the wrong side for your first ride. The first time back on this after about 3 decades, I feel ya. Having been talked into it about 3,482 times since then, it no longer seems so bad to me. :confused3 There is definitely a less jerky side, but having single-rider’ed this thing more times than I can begin to count at this point, I can’t even tell you which one it is anymore! :rotfl2:

Good to know- but I will prob get the wrong side again tho- just sayin-

Yep - we did Cafe Orleans for Willow’s birthday trip in January and totally had to just go for Blue Bayou this last trip. :laughing: I felt the exact same way!

Next time for me too!!

Blerg!!! Mickey’s Wheel of Doom??? No thank you!!!!

Oh no! You didn’t do WoC? I can so relate - we have missed more WDW nighttime shows than I like to admit. For us, DLR being in the same time zone makes the nighttime shows do-able - and we LOVE WoC! :goodvibes:

Again...for next time!!

I was going to say adult time at Trader Sam’s would make up for it for me until I read the “ick” update….. :(

Oh, I wish your family hadn’t been so worn out for the last day. :(

Yea, me too- but I had a great time with Drea, and I never get to see her, so it all worked out.

Club 33????? WOW!!!! I love everything about this update. But I have to say, Willow and I are big Food Network fans - we would have lost our minds over the molecular gastronomy showcase you received!

Me too! It was amazing, right???

Oh, the Walt painting. :( Too much! Gonna have to wait a few years to show that one to Willow after how sad she was at the end of the WiWF tour. So wish he could have experienced everything he dreamed on both coasts.

I know....it is so sad- such a dear man who brought beyond joy to countless billions.

Willow and I started our two-week road trip to DL TR if you have time to check it out (in the sig). I know, you have about as much time as I do! :rotfl2:

I will look! It is probably done already!!

I am totally JELLY!!!!!!!

Just when I thought you had blown it out of the water with the amazing buffet, lobster, and entree, you go and have ice cream made at your table. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????? I didn't even know that was possible. So freaking cool! A-MAZING!

Totally jelly!

Yea, not bragging, but you should be. That was like the Club 33 experience of a lifetime. Just wonderful!

Thanks for this wonderful update! I loved all the pictures and all the details. I didn't know that Walt died before Club 33 was built. So sad.

I know- sad, sad, sad.

Count me as another who is VERY JELLY!!!!
Wow, wow, wow - I think I would probably pass out if I got to eat lunch in Club 33!

Aww, Linda- I wish you had been there with us!

What an amazing experience - even the empty plates are like the coolest thing ever
I don't think it would be possible to ever top the ice cream table side experience for dessert!
Fab that you all got to spend what looks like an incredible lunch together
Thanks for all the great pictures from DL, I will be heading back there in April next year and can't wait!!

Well that's not that far away! How exciting!!

Wow when I make it back to your TR, I find a super duper update! Thanks so much! LOL!

You're welcome- thanks for hangin' in there!

The girl your mentioned in the Minnie like outfit is probably Japanese. I saw a couple dressed like that in WDW, my son was in Tokyo around that time, he told me it was a fad over there. He told me the name for it, but since I don't speak Japanese, I don't recall what he said.

I thought they were, too- there were also girls dressed this way on the Alaskan cruise- oh MAN they really had a ton of outfits- matching the characters in theirs! I was very jelly!

Oh, how I want to go to Club 33, but I see I can't since it has been redecorated. I absolutely love lobstah, could eat my weight in those ugly crustaceans.

Lobstah is a lovely thing- I have to agree!

I could vacation for a long time, I guess we do since we spend 5 weeks in Florida in February & March!

That is soooo nice- we plan to do that when we retire- a different place every year. :goodvibes Where in Fla do you go? Or is that a kind of stupid question?

Holy mother of updates! Glad you are back and finishing up. Sorry that your crew hit the wall but looks like you had a great ladies' day in spite of them!

Sure did! And look! This time I REALLY finished up!

I wish I could have experienced the original Club 33. I live vicariously through your pictures.

Jill in CO

It is a memory I will treasure forever!

Welcome back Ellen! We missed you! But boy you sure got back to it in a big way! I'll probably forget half of what I want to comment on though…

That's ok, Beth! I can hardly remember what I am writing about! LOL!!

Your trip end is looking fantastic! I love the pics of you and the fellas all together on the rides. It looks like a great time. You should have rode Radiator Springs, it's a great ride.

I did! In the morning and then again- I just did not have an FP for at night.

OK, it's not an Ellen and Drea meet without a few drinks and a monkey getting kissed. Gotta be some of that in here somewhere! :rotfl2:

Well pretty sure the drinks were there- monkeys don't seem to like Cali-

Your luncheon looks absolutely great! How cool is that about everyone else wanting the "table side ice cream"? You started a trend. :thumbsup2 Everything looks delicious, i would have started with the dessert though!

Your meet looks fantastic!

It was SOOOO fun- i loved meeting all the Cali girls!

O my god! I'm so behind.. New position at work has me out of the loop. Love reliving this day! Well most I of it.. It gets really interesting soon lmao

We need to catch up- like for 3 days.

Hmm did someone say drinks?? And I don't think I saw Ellen kiss any monkeys in Dland not many around these parts lol.

Like I said!

Miss my club 33 peeps! Thanks for memories of a lifetime!

Most definitely- <3

Major updates - Love it!

Looks like more fun was had at Disneyland; glad you and Drea could hang out. I NEED to get out to CA next year; if the trip with my niece doesn't happen next year, I am for SURE doing that.

You do really need to go- it is the same but so different!

Club 33 looks INSANE! In a good way!! What an incredible experience. Looks like everyone had a great time, too.

It was a wonderful, wonderful time that I will never ever forget!

Holy updates Batman! How the heck am I supposed to remember all that, let alone comment on it! I'll just say that you really left no stone unturned at DL. Looks like an absolute blast was had by all.

You know it! I have a lot of catching up to do around here too! I will be by to the dry hot Tr soon!

O.M.G!!! what a fantastic day. the friends you make on the DIS can take you all sorts of places. everything at club 33 looks divine. I couldn't even imagine them changing it. I know I keep saying it but DL has changed so so much. I need to go back ya know for comparison reasons. lol

Yes- you do! Me too!

the sandals cruise looked awesome on FB. You just don't sit still ;)

What would the point be of doing that? :rotfl2:

I got so behind, but all caught up now. Cub 33 looks amazing. What a bummer that they changed how it is now. I don't know what Disney has been thinking lately....or should I say lack of thinking.

I agree. They are not thinking things all the way through sometimes- very aggravating for the rest of us who have to live with their decisions.

So glad to see you updated! That was the day we left for our recent trip to the World.

How was your trip?

I like the big Ferris Wheels but I don't think I could handle those moving cars, I would have to stick the the boring stationary ones.

I am glad I did it- but I am never doing it again!!!

Love the pics of your lunch at Club 33! What a great experience! Too bad they made all those changes to it now.

Looking forward to hearing more!

I think everyone feels that way about the Club 33 changes- I really hope they figure it out for their members so they love their club like they did- it's just WRONG!!!

So happy to see this going again.

YAY! Hope you are happy again now!

Planning DLR & WDW next year so this is getting me excited.

Cool! When are you going?

The Monte Cristo looked good.

It was- but too much for me to eat more than 1 piece.

Just watched a video of the ferris wheel and I am not sure I can do that.

Just do it. Then swear it off for life as the death trap it is. :rotfl2:

Fun night it seemed with the drinks. The hurricane looked good.

Glad you got to the parks on the last day.

Everything looked so good at Club 33. Jealous.

I am caught up again.

Are you? :)

What an amazing vacation you had! Thanks for sharing it with us.

And thank YOU for hangin in there! Now if I could do the same with that NYE cruise......we are going on the Fantasy again in August- a Western this time. It will NOT be the same without you- I know it. :(

What a great wrap up! I LOVE GCV and I've never stayed there! :rotfl2: I could live there.

A little EoS before the flight home is the perfect end to the trip.

Ok, ready for the next trip report now. :rotfl:

Jill in CO

I know I have a ton more replies before these 3, but I thought I could do them quickly before going on- then go back for the ones from SEPT!! :scared1:

May WDW for 2 nights then 5 night Magic cruise with Joan and Evie....a ton of baseball somewhere in the south in the month of July- probably North Carolina and Atlanta....WDW 2 nites then Fantasy Western in August before Tyler heads off to college :sad:....another visit to Fort Walton Beach, Fla....a November 2 nites pre-cruise in Puerto Rico, than a Celebrity cruise to the Southern Caribbean just couples (us, Joan and Peter and another). :yay: What are you planning?

Fun! We are at WDW May 1-9 with Ryan's fam. Maybe we could see you before you hop on the Fantasy! :banana: We have a quick trip to the beach with Mark's fam here in July, something different for our 35th anniv in Sept, Then we are planning Idaho in the Fall to see my parents, maybe for Thanksgiving.

Too bad your breakfast was disappointing. I have never been in Storyteller's - I was a little confused about what it is - guess I still am??? Too bad your trip had to end. Nice pool to be killing time at. Looking forward to your AK trip - permission to come aboard, Ma'am?

Fun! We are at WDW May 1-9 with Ryan's fam. Maybe we could see you before you hop on the Fantasy! :banana: We have a quick trip to the beach with Mark's fam here in July, something different for our 35th anniv in Sept, Then we are planning Idaho in the Fall to see my parents, maybe for Thanksgiving.

Too bad your breakfast was disappointing. I have never been in Storyteller's - I was a little confused about what it is - guess I still am??? Too bad your trip had to end. Nice pool to be killing time at. Looking forward to your AK trip - permission to come aboard, Ma'am?

Tammie!!!

YES!! We arrive the 8th!! Thank you so much for posting this, I am freaking right now because I lost my whole first post on the new thread and it took me an hour at least. Very frustrating! We will be in touch before our long awaited meet, I am sure- but VERY EXCITED!!!!

Ellen, I am so happy that you finished the DL trip report! I may need to start reading it from the beginning as we hope to have a California trip this year with San Francisco and Yosemite (and DL of course!).

I am sorry that you were all so exhausted at the end of the trip. But of all places, the Grand Californian is also a wonderful place to just hang out!

Hoping over to Alaska now with you and your family!

What a great trip! I like long vacations but when they happen we always plan down days to rest and do nothing. It always takes me a few days to get in the vacation mode and then once it happens, I want time to enjoy the "vacation mode". Thanks to having a high-schooler and other issues, the circumstances of the last few years have demanded short vacations or no vacations. Short vacations are better than no vacations. Once Sarah is out of school maybe we can go back to longer vacations.

Off now to read about Alaska since that will be our next LONG vacation.

Kate

So - WHAAAAAAAATTTTTTT? You are back on the DIS. I thought for sure you had gone the same way as the many DIS deserters before you!

But once again you outdid yourself with a great ended and pictures that really tell the story.

Hail to the chocolate martini! What a fun way to spend your last afternoon in the park. :thumbsup2

WOC is so cool. It's been so long that I forgot you had that great view from your room.

Those EOS sandwiches look SO good right now. Great tip - poolside EOS sammies. Love that idea.

Looking forward to your Alaska cruise TR. :thumbsup2

So glad you finished this Ellen...especially since we are trying to convince Skip go to DL this year. I think Claire is using her charm....we just need a commitment so I can book it!
I really want to do a full week but I know he will not. So if that is the case I may see about either going down/over a few days early and he can fly in then later or all fly together and we extend out stay. I know he wants to do other California things but I want at least 4 or 5 days at the parks. Even if one or 2 days is just half days where we spend an afternoon at the pool.

I am off to read about your Alaskan cruise...another one on my bucket list.

Well I'm both happy and sad that you finished up this TR! It was so great meeting you and having all that fun together. I hope you make it back out here someday because I don't see myself in your neck of the woods any time soon. Even better would be if we ended up on a cruise together!

Sorry your family hit the vacation wall and that you had a not so great meal at Storytellers. I really like the restaurant, it's not anything fancy, but good solid food. We had dinner there about a year ago and really liked it.

Well at least we have your Alaskan adventures to hear about and I hope you wrap up the Fantasy trip too! I'm looking at an Eastern Fantasy cruise for the future, not sure when, but we rented a bunch of DVC points so that makes me feel justified that I can spend that money on a cruise now! :thumbsup2

WDW 2 nites then Fantasy Western in August before Tyler heads off to college :sad:....

Congrats to Tyler, but I feel your pain! DS Cary will be leaving for college in August as well (he got in early decision to his first choice). I'm thrilled for him, but feeling so sad too!! Still scratching my head trying to figure out how we got to this point so quickly. Am I really this old????? :confused3

Jodie

Another great trip report down! Very much enjoyed. :cheer2: We are going back to WDW this fall but I'm planning (hoping, wishing) on the next one to be a Vegas/DL trip.

Now I'm off to start your Alaskan adventure!

ETA: Holy bleep bleep Tyler is starting college in the fall!

10 days is the way to go. For us too, I mean. Well, for them in the us, not for me in the us. Club 33 was very drool worthy- it was like an out of body experience. I feel so blessed to have gone. Did you make it to the Vineyard? The Sandals yacht was REALLY nice- and it was a gorgeous night, cruising the Manhattan Skyline!
[/B]

Unfortunately, no. The kids were being AWFUL that morning and there was just no way they were going to let me have any fun whatsoever!

I think I saw you are going to be in WDW in August? When are you going? We are scheduled to be there from 8/22 to 8/29.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter