Caffeine - Weight loss supplements (and pepper extract)

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
Since it is getting warmer every day, and Spring is coming, I am ready to try to get back to my morning and evening walks, and hopefully lose even just 4 or 5 stubborn pounds that this poor old body of mine just will not budge.

How much caffeine can you tolerate?
I usually have less than one cup of coffee, and a cup of hot Matcha green tea in the mornings.

I have a more natural and healthy weight loss supplement that has more natural ingredients like ALA, Cucrmin, Turmeric, and Caffeine.

I did try one, and I don't know if it was the supplement, or maybe a combination of things with me, but I thought maybe it did not make me feel well. I don't know if I would call it hyper or jittery? But def. not usual.

It has 100mg of caffeine per capsule.
Is this too much for some people?
Could the pepper extract be a factor?

Any insight might help!!!!
I want to try again, but am almost afraid to.
I hate to not be able to try and use these.

Since it is getting warmer every day, and Spring is coming, I am ready to try to get back to my morning and evening walks, and hopefully lose even just 4 or 5 stubborn pounds that this poor old body of mine just will not budge.

How much caffeine can you tolerate?
I usually have less than one cup of coffee, and a cup of hot Matcha green tea in the mornings.

I have a more natural and healthy weight loss supplement that has more natural ingredients like ALA, Cucrmin, Turmeric, and Caffeine.

I did try one, and I don't know if it was the supplement, or maybe a combination of things with me, but I thought maybe it did not make me feel well. I don't know if I would call it hyper or jittery? But def. not usual.

It has 100mg of caffeine per capsule.
Is this too much for some people?
Could the pepper extract be a factor?

Any insight might help!!!!
I want to try again, but am almost afraid to.
I hate to not be able to try and use these.
What klayfish said. Cut back on calories and get some exercise. The end.

That is the thing... I do try to eat well. I truly do.
And, I will go back to walking, at least as much as this old body of mine will tolerate!
My body and my metabolism just are not good.

Maybe I am just caffeine sensitive to that much caffeine.

I know people who can drink a half a pot of coffee, and not be phased!!!!

Caffeine intake really shouldn't have anything to do with weight loss (or gain necessarily). Some people are sensitive to it, others aren't. I haven't had a drop of caffeine in nearly 20 years, I had become very sensitive to it...and have medical issues too.

No pill is going to do a lot for your metabolism. That can definitely vary from person to person and you'll need to adjust accordingly. First, I'd suggest making sure everything is good medically. One thought that comes to mind is hypothyroidism. It's never a "cause" of weight gain, but it can certainly make your metabolism slower than it should be. Then I'd look at exercise and nutrition. Walking is great, any exercise is good. Anything else you can do? Even body weight squats, lunges, push ups, etc...are wonderful. How's your nutrition? Don't need to starve yourself whatsoever. Good balance. Too much salt? That can cause you to retain a lot of water. If your metabolism has stalled, which can happen for a variety of reasons (including dieting), there are ways to naturally revive it. For example, as odd as it sounds my vacations often spike my metabolism. When I'm on vacation, my nutrition plan largely goes out the window. I still eat healthy foods, but add in whatever the heck I feel like eating. My body starts to adjust accordingly. When vacation is over and I go back to my normal nutrition, without fail I not only loose the weight I gained on vacation, but a few extra pounds. I'm NOT suggesting you go and endlessly binge, or even that it would work for you...everyone is different. But my point is that you can help bring your metabolism back without useless pills. Regular exercise, and adding muscles in particular, are another way to ramp up metabolism.

That is the thing... I do try to eat well. I truly do.
And, I will go back to walking, at least as much as this old body of mine will tolerate!
My body and my metabolism just are not good.

I know people who can drink a half a pot of coffee, and not be phased!!!!
It’s not just about eating well, you have to eat LESS. A bunch of caffeine, pepper, whatever might get you ten extra calories or so. If you have a “slow metabolism” well then you have to eat less than someone who doesn’t. It’s going to make no difference in your weight if you eat a 1,000 calorie salad vs. a 1,000 calorie cheeseburger. They’re both a 1,000 calories. One might be perceived as healthier but when it comes to losing weight your body simply doesn’t care and will treat them as the same. Eat less, move more.

Those "all natural" weight loss supplements can cause cardiac problems. Too much caffeine can cause anxiety and heart rhythm irregularities, which can make you feel kind of weird and off.

Throw those pills away and stop eating sugar and move more (even just spend more time standing vs sitting). Eat whole foods, cut out processed stuff, and drink only water, plain tea and coffee.

Please be careful. I have struggled with eating disorders most of my life and I have probably tried every diet pill out there, before a "cardiac event" put a good scare in me. There is no magic supplement that will melt away the fat, so diet pills are stimulants intended to keep you moving so you don't just plant your butt on the couch with a bag of chips. But large amounts of stimulants will cause heart palpitations or worse. 100 mg of caffeine isn't bad, I think that's about 2 cups of coffee, but when you combine that with whatever other stimulants are in it it can be too much for your heart. I feel like a hypocrite for giving advice on this subject, but I urge you to try something a little healthier.

Find the motivation and you'll keep the determination.
I get up and walk 2 miles nearly every single day.
It doesn't matter the weather or if I have a cold, or if I'm just really tired.
I still do it and then I feel better that I did.

Thanks everybody!
Yes, I do have some issues and factors... only one of which is Hashimoto's now Hypothyroid.
Several other things as well, that do affect your body, energy, and metabolism.
UGGGGHHHHH.

I wouldn't mind a kick of caffeine, if it kept me up and going!
But, if this is too much for me... then I def. won't take these.
Darn....

Thanks everybody!
Yes, I do have some issues and factors... only one of which is Hashimoto's now Hypothyroid.
Several other things as well, that do affect your body, energy, and metabolism.
UGGGGHHHHH.

I wouldn't mind a kick of caffeine, if it kept me up and going!
But, if this is too much for me... then I def. won't take these.
Darn....
I also have thyroid conditions and have since 2007.
It really is mind over matter though.
I was able to lose 60lbs even with my health conditions.
Also I would not recommend caffeine pills. Been there done that did nothing.
I do drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning and since it's more of a direct caffeine it seems to help get me moving and keep me moving without a mid day crash.
But again you need to find the motivation and then it will be easier to exercise and eat healthy.
And remember you can have anything you want in moderation.

My personal experience is that calorie counting (and ACCURATELY doing so....no cheating) and then keeping my calories at a level designed to lose 1-2 pounds per week (i.e., reducing weekly calories by around 3500=one pound by week) worked for me. I lost 35 pounds pretty painlessly. My calorie intake was around 1300-1400 per day (if I exercised, I could eat more than that). I concentrated on foods that made me feel full (i.e., high volume foods) without being a tremendous number of calories. In practice, of course, this generally means lots of vegetables, and some fruit. Protein was lean meats, in 3-4 ounce portions. I tended to naturally gravitate away from processed food, sugary foods, and high carb foods (like bread) simply because the ratio of volume to calories was not good . LOL. The first few days were HARD as heck. But, then it got easier. Now, I don't even really think about it. I've maintained the weight loss for 3+ months, with no issues, including during an all inclusive two week vacation. Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I can eat 1800-2000 calories per day, and I now allow myself the occasional small portion of a sweet treat. Biggest change is PORTION size. I've gotten real good at knowing what a serving size actually is. Before I started this process, I was woefully UNDER estimating what I was actually eating

I use the Lose It app (free) to track calories.

I drink an occasional cup of coffee-made at home with a half tablespoon of Maxwell house coffee-just want the taste and warmth sometimes-with half a tsp of sugar and enough almond milk to make the coffee cafe au lait color.

I was given a bag of Ethiopian coffee with a mocha flavor in it before Christmas. I made a small cup of that and tried to put up the Christmas tree. It made me so dizzy that I wound up laying flat on the floor until it subsided and I could get up. DH and DD had to finish decorating the tree.

I gave that bag away and have had no more dizzy spells. Yes, caffeine can make you feel off. Even in a little amount of coffee.

I see you have some underlying issues, OP. Have you ever tried the anti-inflammation diet? I have had a lot of success with it. There are modifications you can make if it seems too strict. When I am following it I feel so much healthier! Basically it is no added or refined sugars--natural carbs like fruits, sugary vegetables (except for sweet corn), and whole grains are ok in moderation--no salt, healthy fats, very little lean meat (absolutely no red meat!), no dairy, and more generous amounts of certain vegetables like onions, garlic, and dark green veggies.

Probably shouldn't take advice from me because I've been "off my wagon" for about a year now. But, I have found that as far as exercise goes "walks" do nothing to augment my weight loss when that is what I'm striving for. We've all heard that weight loss occurs in the kitchen, not in the gym (well at least 80% of it). I "walked" for years and never shed any weight whether I walked or not. Certainly walking is great for you. But I found if you wanted exercise to be part of weight loss versus just fitness, you have to ramp it up a bit. HIIT works well for this. For me, I ended up doing Couch to 5K and once I got into Week 3 of the program, the weight started really coming off (and this was being over 50 years old and in menopause). It was super hard for me because I am not a runner and I do have knee and foot issues, but I kept it at a really slow pace. Sometimes I actually could power walk faster than I ran; however, I read that the actually "motion" of running/jogging is more of a calorie burner. From my own experience, I found it to be true. Unfortunately, due to my foot issues I couldn't keep it up, but it was a good little experiment.

Besides eating well, I think if you could find a way to incorporate something a little more high intensity outside your walks (and it doesn't have to be for an hour), you might see those last few pounds move.

All good advice! I would add that cutting back on the empty carbs like chips, bread, cakes, and upping the lean proteins like more chicken and Greek yogurt, etc. may help.

Good luck!

People can definitely be more of less sensitive to caffeine than others! My DH can't have regular coffee after about noon or it disrupts his sleep. I'm good 'til about 3:00pm, though. (Actually, I can have coffee at night and fall right to sleep - but then I wake up in the middle of the night, and can't get back to sleep. It's like I have a delayed reaction.)

diet pills are stimulants intended to keep you moving so you don't just plant your butt on the couch with a bag of chips

This. And/or simply keep you feeling awake, so you don't crave sugar for energy because you're tired.

If you want to try some of the things in the diet pill, though, like turmeric, you could still just buy them in the spice isle and cook with them.

The times I have lost a bit of weight, the biggest thing has been to drink enough water and not let myself get really hungry. The "several small meals/snacks" advice seems to work well for me. The key to that is to keep good snacks on hand already "prepped" - you want the healthy, satisfying things to be as easy or easier to grab than the junk food!

Exactly how those made me feel too. I took it for 3 days and instead of getting used to them, it was getting worse. It made my heart racing like crazy.

Even the healthy stuff may have bad side effects, read this:

Urgent liver transplant prompts green tea warning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts